Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on Reward/Point Stays

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Upgrades on Reward/Point Stays

Curious members experience on this...
Kind of shocked I didn't see any threads on this.
In the Hilton and Hyatt brands it is something very commonly discussed.

I read that you cannot use Suite upgrades and the like on Reward/Point stays to upgrade your room ; but does the IHG often upgrade point/reward stays for their members?

I am only Platinum and am not an IHG Ambasssador so don't have high hopes but maybe Diamond members receive them commonly?
Is it like other brands where within the US they may be hard to get but happen frequently in Europe or Asia?
Do you get upgrades with advance notice or only at the front desk ; do you have to ask for them?
IHG has many different brands under their umbrella so it could vary per brand?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:03 am

Traditionally complimentary upgrades have been pretty poor. The switch to IHG One Rewards provided more guidance on complimentary upgrades and hotels are being encouraged to offer more upgrades, up to standard suites.

Keep in mind the complimentary upgrades to club rooms don't include club benefits, so if the room is the same, as it often is, you've basically received nothing extra.

Complimentary Upgrades to Club rooms, Club REGENT or Club InterContinental rooms / floors do not include Club Level amenities or services, e.g. Club Lounge access, free pressing, airport transportation, etc.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:56 pm

There are quite an amount of variables to upgrades when it comes to cash stays (brand, status, location, etc..).

For point stays, upgrades are usually not guaranteed but can seldom be granted if you hold Diamond and above status.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Platinum
I have found you seem to get the usual "variable" diamond room upgrades on both points and cash bookings. But I have mainly used HIX, HI and Staybridge the last two years.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
I can't remember the last time I got an upgrade on a paid stay, let alone an award stay..... (Diamond)
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
I get upgraded on almost every stay (Kimptons on paid, points or free cc night) as a diamond but I’m usually staying on less popular nights and at hotels where I stay often enough that the employees recognize me.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've gotten the highest Diamond Ambassador (Premium Hinoki tub room) upgrade on points at voco seoul.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tatia
I get upgraded on almost every stay (Kimptons on paid, points or free cc night) as a diamond but I’m usually staying on less popular nights and at hotels where I stay often enough that the employees recognize me.
I think higher end resorts are the sweet spot. Im a Plat and stayed at the Seafire Kimpton on points only and got a great upgrade. Don't expect super upgrades at CP's or HI's though
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
I stayed a couple of nights on points at Regent Porto Montenegro recently. Was upgraded to King Suite sea view with balcony Venezia. Booked basic room originally. Then cancelled and rebooked when higher category rooms became available for points. Received email couple of days before stay. I’m diamond ambassador.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:15 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
I can't remember the last time I got an upgrade on a paid stay, let alone an award stay..... (Diamond)
Completely opposite of my experience, since i have been Diamond last year always get put in suites at HIX/HI (i do go back to the same hotels multiple times a year) and got upgrades on all my IC stays, paid and reward (have reported most in the relevant stickies)
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:10 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Mixed impressions for me. Got upgrades on award stays but also no upgrade on paid stays at the very same hotel. Depends on how full the hotel is from my point of view.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ProjectSunburst
For point stays, upgrades are usually not guaranteed but can seldom be granted if you hold Diamond and above status.
I think you may have a different meaning of the word 'seldom' to me (I read as 'rarely'), but in my experience upgrades are usually granted on award stays as a Diamond.

In fact, like @yyckiwi, I've not noticed any difference between cash and award in that respect - in that both can be variable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.