Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5k/10k Bonus Points options mostly gone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
5k/10k Bonus Points options mostly gone?

I've checked a few hotels where they used to offer these rates (and they were a fairly decent deal) and do not see them anymore.

Has IHG mostly stopped offering these rates? They were a good way to make status quickly in the past.
jbrowning likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:13 am

IHG has never offered 10k bonus points packages - at least not in the recent decade or so, on its website IHG advertises "up to 5,000 bonus points". Not every IHG hotel participates in this offer and not every hotel that participates will offer the maximum number of points for sale. During 2022 I could purchase the maximum points package while staying in Crowne Plaza Bratislava, InterContinental Sofia, Holiday Inn Vienna South and InterContinental Warsaw.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MichaelA380
IHG has never offered 10k bonus points packages - at least not in the recent decade or so, on its website IHG advertises "up to 5,000 bonus points". Not every IHG hotel participates in this offer and not every hotel that participates will offer the maximum number of points for sale. During 2022 I could purchase the maximum points package while staying in Crowne Plaza Bratislava, InterContinental Sofia, Holiday Inn Vienna South and InterContinental Warsaw.
They have. I booked these as recently as ~2 years ago and frequently booked a 10k bonus points per night rate at two different hotels I frequented.
Both of these hotels as well as a few others I have looked at show no bonus points package whatsoever now.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
They have. I booked these as recently as ~2 years ago and frequently booked a 10k bonus points per night rate at two different hotels I frequented.
Both of these hotels as well as a few others I have looked at show no bonus points package whatsoever now.
I think the previous 10k (and I have seen 15k options too) bonus point deals were offered by the hotel and were not "official" IHG deals. Usually they were qualifying points but not always due to being non-official. IHG updated the bonus points deals a few years ago when they added the pop up box to the normal booking process and made them all qualifying. There are still 5k options out there (for example I saw 5k offered at the IC - The City in Doha yesterday), but I haven't seen higher than that for a while.
bchandler02 and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
The 5K and below bonus point offers seem alive but until several days before a stay, require selection of a refundable rate. If I choose a non-refundable rate several weeks before a stay, I'm taken directly to the payment page with no option to buy bonus points, but if I pick a refundable rate, I'm seeing the option to buy points. This past Sunday, I got the option to buy points when making a reservation for the same evening at a hotel that didn't offer that option when I changed my booking dates to the third week of March so there's apparently a point where the system allows a hotel to start offering an option to buy points when making a nonrefundable reservation, which of course, is generally the lowest price.

There never were many hotels offering bonus points above 5K, but I fondly remember getting a 25K offer at the Indigo in Brooklyn. Getting 1/3 of the way to Spire with a one-night stay was a real "bonus"!
bchandler02, rt23456p and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:03 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Indeed it has been a while, but a couple of years ago there were quite a number of hotels offering 5k or 10k bonus points. We have had a thread about this properties:

IHG Properties with Bonus Point Package higher than 5,000 points
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I had this offer of 25K from the Indigo in Brooklyn a few years ago. I'm pretty sure they weren't qualifying points though.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
I had this offer of 25K from the Indigo in Brooklyn a few years ago. I'm pretty sure they weren't qualifying points though.
A call to IHG customer service made them qualifying for me. I may not regularly be a "hang up, call again" kind of guy, but I'm definitely a "if you don't ask, you don't get" kind of guy.
cln likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
I got 5k points per night deals (at a rather attractive price) for two separate bookings two weeks ago at IC Paris Le Grand. So at least those are still existing.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:16 pm

I also recently found a hotel that offered bonus qualifying points. The 3k/night option was quite attractive (~1 USD) but the 5k/night one definitely wasn't (~25 USD).
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:52 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I as well came over a 5k points at the Holiday Inn Express Ottawa / Illinois (!), which offer 5k per night for an additional 21 USD at the best flexible. So at least the 5k bonus should still be around
cln likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:09 pm

The 5k bonus point per night rate still exists at quite a few properties. Use this link to IHG to search the 5k bonus rate - https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/fin...qpMn=0&srb_u=1

Click the Change Search button on the right, then enter a Destination and set the Check-In and Check-Out Date, then click Search. Leave the Rate Preference box alone and the results on the search page will display the rate for 5k bonus points.

Example Results
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have a booking at the Holiday Inn Osnabrück, Germany, and I opted for buying a 5,000 bonus points package for €31. Will these be qualifying points? I have plenty of experience with 3,000 and 1,000 bonus points packages and they are nearly always qualifying, but I believe that above a certain threshold they are not qualifying. I have booked two separate, back-to-back nights, so if they are not qualifying then I will remove the separate reservation for the second n.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:02 am

Yes, they are qualifying, have a look at the rate description in the reservation confirmation you received via email, there should be some language to that end there.

I had a recent stay at Holiday Inn Vienna City and opted for the 5k package as well, everything posted promptly: base points, status bonus points, package points and bonus points from the ongoing promo as I hit the threshold, of which the base points and the package points were correctly reflected into my progress tracker.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
I have a booking at the Holiday Inn Osnabrück, Germany, and I opted for buying a 5,000 bonus points package for €31. Will these be qualifying points? I have plenty of experience with 3,000 and 1,000 bonus points packages and they are nearly always qualifying, but I believe that above a certain threshold they are not qualifying. I have booked two separate, back-to-back nights, so if they are not qualifying then I will remove the separate reservation for the second n.
I would not expect that two back-to-back one night 5k bonus point packages are going to post twice. Presumably these are "per stay" packages and hotel chain IT systems are pretty good at merging consecutive nights together into a single stay.

But a single 5k package should post as qualifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.