Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always use the security latch!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Always use the security latch!

Last week had an otherwise very pleasant stay at one of the Intercontinental hotels in Australia. After a very easy checkin, including a friendly discussion with the associate at the desk (a discussion about the various benefits I could choose as I am Diamond and just purchased Ambassador) I was even offered a choice of two rooms.and a discussion about which room she recommended etc. So I was given my keycard and my room number was written on it, lets say it was room 14 (not the actual room number). This was around 5pm.

As I had a busy workday I retired early and was fast asleep, to be awoken at 10.20pm by someone opening my door and trying to enter my room. I think I jumped awake and loudly said "what" or "huh" or something similar.

I very often dont bother, but was very lucky I had used the security latch so the door only opened a little. I got up, checked door was closed, and decided to go back to bed and address this in the morning. About 15 minutes later I received a call from the front desk, and a man was quite rude. He challenged me for my name, asked me if I had two bookings, and then proceeded to tell me I was in the wrong room and I was supposed to be in room 15 next door. I.e. suggesting it was my fault. Astonishing. At that point I was quite angry and told him that my keycard, which was right next to me had room 14 written on it and obviously I had access to the room and was in the room they allocated to me!

In the morning i called the duty manager, who to the hotel's credit was aware of the situation. he handled it very well, took his time to explain what happened (they assigned my room manually instead of via the system) and explained they had new staff etc. They comped me a dinner which I didn't ask for but was appreciated. I told him about he way I was accused of being in the wrong room and he assured me it was not meant that way by the night staff.

moral of the story always use the latch (I have just ordered online a special lock you can use in hotel rooms in case some hotels dont have working latches) and this hotel could use some better training for their team to, you know, maybe apologise to me (and the poor guest who was assigned the wrong room) rather than accuse me of somehow being an interloper. I dont want to mention the specific hotel as I feel they handled it as well as they could after the initial mess.

Curious how often this happens?
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Once, in a hotel where I was staying on business, I had the same issue...but it was me who opened the room of someone else.

It was late, I was exhausted from my flight. I walked into the room to find a man on the bed watching TV in the dark (thankfully not in an embarrassing situation).

I jumped when I saw him, he jumped when he saw me. I quickly left the room, just saying : oups, sorry.
I was very suprised by this situation (I didn't even know a room could be allocated to more than one person).

I went to the reception to report the problem. The receptionist, nonchalantly, said: oh, yes, indeed, it was not your room.

Last edited by nicolas75; Nov 2, 2022 at 6:38 am
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Just got back to my room at an Intercontinental in Australia. Have just checked the latch on my door! Hopefully I’ll have an undisturbed night’s sleep.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
My last stay at an Indigo, the room of the lady traveller didnot have a security chain bolt for the room.
Pressed at reception, it was noted but nothing could be done because mainentance went already home.

Needless to say she was afraid of having her bottom pinched at midnight so she moved furniture behind the roomdoor before she went to sleep.
it caused such noise that the downstairs room complained to reception causing a triangle ruckuss

oranjemakker : ghastly attitude from the night watch!
glad to know if there was a safety or hazzard dependant, you would be the last to be rescued by such "engaging" staff

double occupied allocated rooms or room intrusion safety breach are grounds for compensation (according to LL) - YMMV
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:53 am
jxd

If I were you I would have pushed them to comp the room or at least get some points as compensation solely because of the attitude of the night duty officer. If he didn't have such an awful attitude I would have let it slide (although a dinner would be nice).
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Simple solution is to always carry a small wooden/rubber door wedge in your bag. It takes up no room at all, will go through airport security and will fit under any door. No chance of any unexpected guests in your room.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
The problem with the latch system is it only works when IN the room. A lady and her daughter walked into my room earlier this year in Jerusalem and thank god I wasn't naked or worse. I wouldn't care but to a lady in Israel and a child? Aye aye aye. Had I been out and about she could have theoretically stolen all my things!
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
It's happened to me numerous times for various reasons. I ALWAYS put that so-called security lock on which is very easy to manipulate and open from the outside, so I put alarms on the door and the balcony door, as a backup.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Simple solution is to always carry a small wooden/rubber door wedge in your bag. It takes up no room at all, will go through airport security and will fit under any door. No chance of any unexpected guests in your room.
Were you in my room earlier today/last night and left your wedge behind? I’ve just checked into a Holiday Inn in Australia and sitting on the floor behind the door is a rubber wedge. May be this hotel is known for unexpected guests entering rooms in the middle of the night! I shall certainly be using it
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Once, in a hotel where I was staying on business, I had the same issue...but it was me who opened the room of someone else.

It was late, I was exhausted from my flight. I walked into the room to find a man on the bed watching TV in the dark (thankfully not in an embarrassing situation).

I jumped when I saw him, he jumped when he saw me. I quickly left the room, just saying : oups, sorry.
i was very suprised by this situation (I didn't even know a room couldbe allocated to more than one person).

I went to the reception to report the problem. The receptionist, nonchalantly, said: oh, yes, indeed, it was not your room.

…ditto...

I opened the door, room clearly occupied (by a very untidy individual ), and obvious noise of shower running in the bathroom. Enormous potential for embarrassment, so the nonchalance of the reception staff when i returned to the desk was annoying: a routine apology and a new room.

Embarrassment passes. The lesson to me was to secure all valuables when I'm out of the room (i.e, don't leave laptop on charge): it's not only cleaning staff who might enter your room.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I carry two of those rubber door wedges in addition to two door/window alarms. The wedges don't work on all doors and flooring, unfortunately. The alarms definitely work.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
In 30+ years of travel, I can only remember this happening to me a couple of times. In both cases, I was assigned a room that was already occupied. In one case the occupant was present (and clothed). In the other case, there was a case of beer and luggage in the room but no occupant. Mistakes happen. I went back down to the front desk and got a new room assignment. I didn't expect nor did I receive any compensation.

For my safety, I do use the deadbolt and the security latch when I am in my room. While I haven't gone so far as to carry a door wedge with me, that seems like a good idea that would be easy to implement. I probably won't bother. For solo female travelers who may want more security, I think it would be a good extra precaution. While being assigned to an occupied room or having someone assigned to your room happens occasionally, it is a rare occurrence and not a major concern for me. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
While being assigned to an occupied room or having someone assigned to your room happens occasionally, it is a rare occurrence and not a major concern for me.
+1
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
This is an interesting thread and a reminder to be careful. I'm currently at the Mandalay Bay. No door latches here. A door wedge is a great idea. Here is a funny story. I accidentally walked in on a couple who were watching TV in the dark in bed. They were yelling at me but I was so exhausted after a long day that I didn't realize my room was next door. Yes, they should have latched the door but I shouldn't enter the wrong room either.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by gadberry
This is an interesting thread and a reminder to be careful. I'm currently at the Mandalay Bay. No door latches here. A door wedge is a great idea. Here is a funny story. I accidentally walked in on a couple who were watching TV in the dark in bed. They were yelling at me but I was so exhausted after a long day that I didn't realize my room was next door. Yes, they should have latched the door but I shouldn't enter the wrong room either.
Housekeeping is really good for doing this too. That's why I tell them I don't need housekeeping unless I request it and also keep the do not disturb sign hanging outside, which of course doesn't always help. But, between the sign, door latches, alarm and wedges something will work😃

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.