Wiki Posts
Search

Newark HIX or Crown Plaza?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Newark HIX or Crown Plaza?

Which is better for a short overnight at Newark? HIX or Crown Plaza?

Can you walk to the terminals from either of them?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Can't tell you about the experience, but neither locations are within walking distance.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I was about to ask the same questions -- I rang both properties and found out that they provide complimentary 24 hour airport shuttles, leaving every half hour to and from EWR, first come first serve. The Crowne Plaza is around 1 mile from EWR but according to the hotel employee, it's not suitable to walk as it passes through highways.

I will be coming from the Financial District to either of these airport hotels -- both of them seem to be inconvenient to get to using public transport (have to transfer and I have big bags with me, so I will probably take a cab or Uber).

Perhaps I will decide based on which has better room and breakfast. I would like to hear from those who have stayed at both or either property.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by hightide
I was about to ask the same questions -- I rang both properties and found out that they provide complimentary 24 hour airport shuttles, leaving every half hour to and from EWR, first come first serve. The Crowne Plaza is around 1 mile from EWR but according to the hotel employee, it's not suitable to walk as it passes through highways.

I will be coming from the Financial District to either of these airport hotels -- both of them seem to be inconvenient to get to using public transport (have to transfer and I have big bags with me, so I will probably take a cab or Uber).

Perhaps I will decide based on which has better room and breakfast. I would like to hear from those who have stayed at both or either property.
If you are taking PATH, then yes there are 2 transfers - once to NJ Transit, and 1 stop on the EWR AirTrain to P4 to pick up the hotel shuttle.

Coming from the terminal, it's a straight shot to P4 on the AirTrain.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Can't speak to the HIX, but the Crowne Plaza is very bad.

We were stuck there for an overnight about 6 months ago. The place is plastered with signs about all the things you should not do. It looks like they have a lot of trouble with customers and locals. The reception staff is unfriendly. We had not eaten and the only thing there was a little shop with caramel rolls and beer. One of each cost me $16. The room was OK but the rest of it was very unpleasant. They seem to do a big business in parking for the airport.

I suspect that the HIX is more consistent with other HIXs. You drive past the HIX and the Hilton on the way to the CP and both looked much better from the outside.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Sorry, my reply a few days ago was referring to Holiday Inn (not HIX) Newark.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Adding my recent experience at Crown Plaza - the shuttle runs 2x per hour, but they are not punctual. I got lucky that there was a shuttle waiting at P4 when I arrived at the terminal. Not so much when I was leaving for the airport, and ended up getting an Uber so I can get to the terminal in time for check-in.

The hotel's system was down when I arrived close to midnight, so they were checking in people manually. They were also training new employees/night auditor, and the new person wanted me to prove that I actually have a reservation, even though it was their system issue. The manager/supervisor finally intervened and turned the situation around. Had to ask for the breakfast coupon as Diamond benefit, and they gave me a bag of snacks (potato chips and granola bar) for being an elite member.

The room was unremarkable - standard hotel room overlooking the parking lot. Basic mixed brands of bath amenities. There was a complimentary bottled water in the room.

The breakfast buffet is the standard stuff - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and pancake. Everything was self service, including coffee and juice. There were toasts and fruits as well.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:45 am

[Sorry, I inadvertently posted this in the Crowne Plaza's standalone thread first]

Any recent datapoints on these properties? Any amenities at the Crowne Plaza that make it worth spending a bit more over the HIX? (CP base rate for my dates is lower, but it looks like with taxes and parking charges the HIX ends up cheaper.)
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by BernardBlack
[Sorry, I inadvertently posted this in the Crowne Plaza's standalone thread first]

Any recent datapoints on these properties? Any amenities at the Crowne Plaza that make it worth spending a bit more over the HIX? (CP base rate for my dates is lower, but it looks like with taxes and parking charges the HIX ends up cheaper.)
Crowne Plaza has a restaurant that serves food and drinks, and breakfast (free for Diamond if you were to choose that as your welcome amenity) is a hot buffet and slightly better than cinnamon rolls. Other than that, the rooms are comparable.
BernardBlack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.