Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used toiletries for sale at IC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Again extending the point to a point where it breaks free of it's natural orbit of logic Nicholas. Maybe a re-read in the right spirit is in order. We are discussing coffee sachets, bars of soap, hair conditioner and cotton buds here. They define themselves very clearly. And the hotels are fully aware of this.

A little hearted debate about hotel surface counter walk-ables becomes an essay on stealing remotes and bottles of olive oil?

On the etiquette of needless video calls in inappropriate locations I do however absolutely agree with you.
This thread seems to be people talking past each other, and I'm not sure if it's intentional.

- the suggestion was that there was something wrong with the hotel clarifying something in the room wasn't free for the taking because it was "used." As many pointed out, used v. new is hardly the relevant distinction
- comparing a very large bottle of lotion, that is designed to be used for many stays, with tiny bars of soap, is just as disingenuous as comparing it to a television. I have no idea why a large bottle of lotion, designed to be used across multiple stays, is any more a "consumable" than a bottle of olive oil brought to the table. If you are new to the concept of non -single-use toiletries, that just shows why the sign is necessary and appropriate.

- While I can't possibly imagine thinking such large bottles are to be taken home, much less *wanting* to, given the confusion expressed on this thread, including some people who think they are entitled to take any toiletry product for free, it seems the sign is very very necessary.

- As for the suggestion that it is "low-rent", alas the behavior of some guests, loading their suitcases with these and asking for more (as was the topic of an earlier thread), makes this perhaps the classiest way to deal with a "low-rent" problem.

- growing up in a family with little money, on our rare comfort inn road trip status, we used to take the little bottles home, even if half-used, and I kind of thought that was normal until adulthood. Then I realized that carrying home a bottle to save fifteen cents of cheap shampoo was not worth it. I gather most luxury hotel guests do not even think about doing this.
​​​​​​
dw, nicolas75, missionpa and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 19, 2022 at 5:30 am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:51 am

We liked the plush Egyptian cotton robes at the Fairmont in Montreux and when I asked the front desk to buy them, they were a little confused, I think we were the first to ask, that people just took them home. It was a great purchase at 100 euro (I think they just made up a price). They’re still great!
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
We liked the plush Egyptian cotton robes at the Fairmont in Montreux and when I asked the front desk to buy them, they were a little confused, I think we were the first to ask, that people just took them home. It was a great purchase at 100 euro (I think they just made up a price). They’re still great!
It's always worth an ask. The hotels are usually more than happy to help with things like that. I liked the chairs in Anise in ICDFC. They use them at a few locations in fact. Once you have the design and model it's usually easy to find them on ebay.at modest prices.

I had a really nice one a few years back. I was given a wing back chair out of the hotel club lounge. I used to stay a huge amount of nights ... some years more than 200. The club lounge was my home four nights a week.

They refurbished it and put a huge bow on and left it in my regular room. Beyond the call of duty. Super hotel and folks. Hades knows the location ... one of his regular haunts.

I was thinking of stealing it but fortunately didn't have a bag large enough .... and before ask, no, not serious.
birdiedouble and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:45 am
Original Poster

These are used as in you've just used them in your room and not a collection of half empty bottles and bars of soap for sale at reception.

THIS!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:09 am
Original Poster

It should say to the effect of...

Bath amenities are for the exclusive use of our in-house guests. If you would like to purchase a new bottle, please proceed to the gift shop and it can be applied to your bill.

Your first option for a sellable channel should NOT be used toiletries. There's no offer of an ability to buy a new bottle. That's why the sign is so poorly written.

I won't even wade in to the debate of pocketing used non-single use toiletries.

Interesting enough, there are no signs on the robes and they're cheap and generic without any branding.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
It should say to the effect of...

Bath amenities are for the exclusive use of our in-house guests. If you would like to purchase a new bottle, please proceed to the gift shop and it can be applied to your bill.

Your first option for a sellable channel should NOT be used toiletries. There's no offer of an ability to buy a new bottle. That's why the sign is so poorly written.

I won't even wade in to the debate of pocketing used non-single use toiletries.

Interesting enough, there are no signs on the robes and they're cheap and generic without any branding.
I can't imagine being so upset about the difference in wording between the actual sign and the one you propose to create this thread.

If someone really wanted to buy a new bottle, they could certainly ask. This isn't designed to sell used shampoo, or encourage people to buy toiletries from the hotel. It's designed to stop people from taking the huge bottles from their rooms to avoid paying for shampoo for their children at home and claiming outrage and naivete that it's not intended to be taken for free.
nicolas75, ARR72 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222

- growing up in a family with little money, on our rare comfort inn road trip status, we used to take the little bottles home, even if half-used, and I kind of thought that was normal until adulthood. Then I realized that carrying home a bottle to save fifteen cents of cheap shampoo was not worth it. I gather most luxury hotel guests do not even think about doing this.
​​​​​​
While this is somewhat off topic I d note that imo most ppl including me take small individual toiletries from hotels not to save money but to add variety and remind them of certain hotels/destinations.. those individual bottles range from ultra small 10 ml to prob 100-120 ml..

certainly a large bottle with a pump is not intended to be taken although the sign in op is written awkwardly...
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Is there any other way to interpret this sign?

And, no, that's not my hair.
give them time…they will start to charge for actual toilet paper useage….
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
These are used as in you've just used them in your room and not a collection of half empty bottles and bars of soap for sale at reception.

THIS!
So why the rather over egged and breathless thread title as though it was the latter that was happening.

Also you havn't said wich hotel this sign that has irked you is.
Adam1222 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So why the rather over egged and breathless thread title as though it was the latter that was happening.

Also you havn't said wich hotel this sign that has irked you is.
I don't think that's a click bait headline. I think that's what the sign indicates. You want to buy used toiletries, we'd be happy to sell them to you.

I'm going to see if there's half a coke in the mini bar with a sign offering to sell it to me.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:48 am

I don't think that's a click bait headline. I think that's what the sign indicates. You want to buy used toiletries, we'd be happy to sell them to you.

I'm going to see if there's half a coke in the mini bar with a sign offering to sell it to me.
If someone reads this and thinks the point is to sell used toiletries, that says more about them than the hotel.
ninjalad and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
give them time…they will start to charge for actual toilet paper useage….
Responses like this show why the sign is necessary
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
This is a sign saying in friendly wording:
do not elope with our huge refillable bottles!

- minis are ok to take home
- the refillable ones are our take on : conserving plastic waste [ aka lowering costs ]
so use em here and don't pilferer them

in a personal anecdote:
on certain Lufthansa and Swiss First flights
in the lavatory one may find La Praeri Handcream (retails around €80)

flights to a certain country in the northern eastern sphere,
see before landing and securing cabin, both flasks taken,
by women whose faces have been so tightly pulled, it makes Cher look natural!
most likely for home consumption.....

Lufthansa thought to be smart and removed the screw cap,
Because the thought is whom is going to carry a tube that can squirt!

The same with the Business Class lotion/scents in the Singapore Airlines lavatories, all screw caps are removed to reduce % of it being stolen....

About the sign:
So nothing about used toiletries for sale or such !
I know some real tacticians who have turned to bringing reusable toiletry bottles with them to fill up from the full sized Le Labo or Aesop lotion bottles they encounter.

I recall attending an event at a Fairmont a few years ago and some people swiped up all the mini Le Labo Rose 31 lotion bottles from the public restrooms. A few years later I'm back at the same Fairmont and now they carry generic soaps and hand lotions in the public restrooms.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
While this is somewhat off topic I d note that imo most ppl including me take small individual toiletries from hotels not to save money but to add variety and remind them of certain hotels/destinations.. those individual bottles range from ultra small 10 ml to prob 100-120 ml..

certainly a large bottle with a pump is not intended to be taken although the sign in op is written awkwardly...
Right on! It always reminded me of Paris when I used the Hermes Orange Verte bath foam from the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme. After a generous tip, the cleaning lady had no problem giving me many extra.

I always take my own toiletries and rarely use the hotel supplied ones.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:27 am
Suspended

Refillable multi-guest containers are absolutely disgusting.

Who knows what some freak may have put in there, getting off on the notion of others spreading it on their body 🤮.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.