Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
EDIT: never mind misread please delete

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Jul 28, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:48 pm
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Interesting point of view.

A good friend of mine is in exactly the same situation. He is CFO Asia of a large international bank. He only travels in J and stays in 5 star hotels (he stayed for example two full months at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong while waiting for his company flat to be ready).

His assistant books his business travels for him. He is not a member of any loyalty programme. And when I asked him which airline alliance he is most loyal to, he didn't even understand the question.

I have to admit that my parents do the same (they have no idea about loyalty programmes, even if they like Relais & Châteaux: the only thing my father is interested in is whether the hotel has a Michelin star restaurant!)

For a large hotel group, I ran a strategy consulting project. It turned out that customers were considered loyal when they only had more than 8 stays per year (most people travel very few, and most customers book via OTAs, which is a massive problem for hotel groups: commissions can go up to 20%, and the hotel group has no data on the guest when booking through OTA).

FlyerTalk is obviously a very small part of the world, and in no way represents the whole market.
Executive lounge in typical 5 star hotels in China(Sheraton, Marriott,CP,Westin, Renaissance) have now turned into a canteen nowadays for the typical office clerks which are not paid heavily on business trips to get free dinner anyways. If I am rich, and stay in property like RCR, Aman, Four Seasons everytime,obviously I won't care about the lounges, as I will dine fine every meal.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:56 pm
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Interesting point of view.

A good friend of mine is in exactly the same situation. He is CFO Asia of a large international bank. He only travels in J and stays in 5 star hotels (he stayed for example two full months at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong while waiting for his company flat to be ready).

His assistant books his business travels for him. He is not a member of any loyalty programme. And when I asked him which airline alliance he is most loyal to, he didn't even understand the question.

I have to admit that my parents do the same (they have no idea about loyalty programmes, even if they like Relais & Châteaux: the only thing my father is interested in is whether the hotel has a Michelin star restaurant!)

For a large hotel group, I ran a strategy consulting project. It turned out that customers were considered loyal when they only had more than 8 stays per year (most people travel very few, and most customers book via OTAs, which is a massive problem for hotel groups: commissions can go up to 20%, and the hotel group has no data on the guest when booking through OTA).

FlyerTalk is obviously a very small part of the world, and in no way represents the whole market.
To be honest, I really don't see the point of qualifying airline status for me at least, my parents see no problem of us flying long haul J as long as the pricing are reasonable(<2500 USD RT from Asia to Europe/NA), and if you fly J, unless you are OWE, status make zero differences. For short haul, we typically fly J when it is reasonable and Y when the charge for J is crazy, the fact that you can buy lounges for 30USD per use and the seat selection on short haul doesn't really matter that away the two main point of getting high status. Also, we live in SIN, and with Scoot plus reasonably priced, why on earth I should fly Y on typical full service airlines?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT P, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PES_B1

Long stories short, the Changsha Intercontinental is just another ordinary Intercontinental in China, with nothing special about it before the changes. However, after the changes happening in IHG(Diamond instead of Spire) and 40N lounge rights etc. recently, the hotel decided to rebrand their Intercontinental club as "Jade on 27" overnight, in the exact same location, offering the same amenity(hot food and proper alc. drinks during HH) as before, functioning similarly to a De Facto Embassy, and trained their employees to tell elites(those with RA, and lounge rights due to status) that the "Jade on 27" lounge is no longer complimentary, it is exclusively for Club Room members and instead created a new "elite lounge" in their lobby bar for those with free access, offering nothing more than a variety of nuts, cookies and soft drinks.
I can thankfully report that during my stay of 29-31 Dec 2023, I automatically received regular lounge access on the 27th floor as a 40-nighter who selected the lounge membership benefit. This was my fifth time at this particular hotel although the first since July 2019 and the club lounge (or the experience) has not changed in any perceptible way. In fact, I think it has improved as the lounge staff brought over the bartender from Sky27 who made me two positively fantastic drinks after I told him which liquor I was in the mood for. In addition, as a Diamond AMB, I also received breakfast in the main restaurant as well as two drink vouchers.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:51 pm
formerly rt23456p
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northshorepa
I can thankfully report that during my stay of 29-31 Dec 2023, I automatically received regular lounge access on the 27th floor as a 40-nighter who selected the lounge membership benefit. This was my fifth time at this particular hotel although the first since July 2019 and the club lounge (or the experience) has not changed in any perceptible way. In fact, I think it has improved as the lounge staff brought over the bartender from Sky27 who made me two positively fantastic drinks after I told him which liquor I was in the mood for. In addition, as a Diamond AMB, I also received breakfast in the main restaurant as well as two drink vouchers.
Yes, they gave back access last year after too much people complained. The lounge is great afaik.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
In other words, much ado about nothing.🙄🙄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.