Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Points 100% promo sale and usage question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:15 am
FSF
Original Poster

IHG Points 100% promo sale and usage question

First off, it is pretty well established that IHG regularly sells points with a 100% bonus. For instance, 50,000 points would normally cost $500 but right now (a bad deal), you get 100,000 points for $500 (a good if not very good deal). IHG regularly runs these promos. So my question is, why wouldn't all IHG members just buy the points and use them for booking as opposed to doing cash bookings. In every single case I've ever looked at, this seems to be financially more prudent, often times much more so. In addition, for Platinum members, they'd get even more bang for the buck on getting every 4th night free on points stay, making them even much more valuable for 4+ night stays. What if any are the downsides to this strategy?
gadberry and th79ft like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Points stays aren't always available

Points stays generally only get you the lowest type of room

Buying points is in effect giving IHG an interest free loan.

Never seen a every 4th night free offer when I was a plat let alone as a spire / diamond. If it's a cc offer then not everyone has an IHG CC or can get one (not available in the UK anymore for example)
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:45 pm

Some hotels are very stingy when you redeem points, and treat you like a second class guest.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've never experienced that or felt badly treated because I made a points booking (if anything, the treatment was better!). But what I am wondering about is this fourth night free thing. Have I missed out on something here during all this time?
gadberry likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
I've never experienced that or felt badly treated because I made a points booking (if anything, the treatment was better!). But what I am wondering about is this fourth night free thing. Have I missed out on something here during all this time?
The fourth-night-free offer on points redemptions is available to holders of the Chase/IHG Premier credit card. Details here:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi.../premier-perks

(Holders of the older, no-longer-issued Chase/IHG "Select" credit card get a 10% rebate on points redemptions. Holders of both the "Select" card and the "Premier" card get to stack those benefits.)
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I have actually done this and gone almost entirely to points using the 100% bonus offers.

I probably have 30 nights over the last year. We usually just stay at HIX properties which have lower redemption rates (as opposed to IC's). I choose those that are between 10k and 20k points. Even at 20k points, that is only $100 in points. The cash rates especially with taxes are typically $125 or more. At 10k, it would be $50.

Then, I have the one credit card that gives me the 4th night free. And I have the other credit card that gives me 10% back. So, compounding the economy.

I really like the last minute cancellations. The $125 rates are usually non-refundable. Flexible rates would be $150ish for the places that we stay.

Then, I maintain my Diamond status by buying IC Ambassador status every year. Which improves treatment.

So the OP is seeing what I see. The OP does ask the downside to this. Mostly, I think, it constrains you to lower end properties, for leisure type stays of 4 nights, and you can't be real picky about where or when you stay places.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:02 pm
Suspended

I’m in the UK and we do not have the 4th night free option. However the main benefit is undoubtedly that it’s a fully flex ticket. I also bought the full number with the 100% uplift and now with me old balance I have lots of flex which enables me to book speculatively. So for example the new Grand in Vienna is on a decent bargain price and even the older IC in Vienna is on decent points.

So for me it’s flexibility and punting semi-firm bookings.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's all good if you can work within the constraints of what is available as a Reward night. In many cases, that will work (or indeed be made to work).
To me it's just one option, but sometimes other options work well/better, depnding on the cirsumstances.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by perthite
It's all good if you can work within the constraints of what is available as a Reward night. In many cases, that will work (or indeed be made to work).
To me it's just one option, but sometimes other options work well/better, depnding on the cirsumstances.
Indeed. I always compare the cash price to the points price and decide which is better for me. You need to bear in mind that you are earning points (possibly with promotions in play) on paid stays and that may make the paid stay attractive even though it is more expensive than a points stay.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
I use this quite regularly.
e.g. Tel Aviv City Centre in October during Jewish holidays is 33K points ($165, cancellable) and cheapest paid rate is $251 non-refundable - 52% more.
I almost always get the same upgrade as if i were on a paid stay. Still get recognition and welcome amenity.

The main disadvantage is that i don't earn points and it doesn't count towards status.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thedon

The main disadvantage is that i don't earn points and it doesn't count towards status.
The night counts for status / milestone benefits. The spend doesn't...
thedon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:22 am

"And I have the other credit card that gives me 10% back. So, compounding the economy"

- What card gives 10% back at IHG? - I agree with you about IHG being the best for value since you can BUY points near their value and if your dates are flexible you can get outsized value. I use these for the Venetian and get close to 1cpp. With 4th night FREE you can actually buy points and still come out ahead. I think IHG is the only program where you can get more value from purchase points (if you have the right CC cards).
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Sadly, I believe the 10% back credit card is no longer available to new people. Mine says "IHG Rewards Club" on it.

The good old days of 3-4 years ago also had a 10% rebate for being an Ambassador member.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by minz56
Indeed. I always compare the cash price to the points price and decide which is better for me. You need to bear in mind that you are earning points (possibly with promotions in play) on paid stays and that may make the paid stay attractive even though it is more expensive than a points stay.
Especially when there's a promo running, like the current 2-4x promo I've been hoovering up points with. For my next stay (IC ATH this weekend) I'll be earning 4X

At least until the promo finishes I strongly prefer cash stays unless I find some amazing points bargain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.