Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris IC Champs Elysee vs Kimpton St Honore?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Paris IC Champs Elysee vs Kimpton St Honore?

I'm between these two for a November stay in Paris. I will be using points, so it's just a base level room, though I am IHG Ambassador/Platinum, I'm not sure how much that helps on an award stay.

Any thoughts on how these two compare? I have never been to Paris before, and will be with a toddler (my experience has been a nice seating area at the hotel is quite handy when you travel with a toddler, and it also means cabs are not possible so just walking or trains). I have happily driven all over the world (including Italy and the Dom Rep.), but not sure whether or not a car is a reasonable way to get around in Paris, so would love to hear thoughts on that too (beyond the normal "don't rent a car" advice given to American tourists who generally do seem to have trouble driving in foreign lands for some reason).
Old May 9, 2022, 9:44 am

I have no experience with the Kimpton, but imo don't go to the IC Champs Elysee.

There is nothing IC about that place. It is literally a Crowne Plaza Avenue Marceau that got an IC logo tagged on to help justify its price point.

Apart from that, do expect small rooms at this property.
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 336
I have no experience with the Kimpton, but imo don't go to the IC Champs Elysee.

There is nothing IC about that place. It is literally a Crowne Plaza Avenue Marceau that got an IC logo tagged on to help justify its price point.

Apart from that, do expect small rooms at this property.
InterContinental Paris Champs Elysées - Etoile has been recently very nicely renovated.
Still, as said before, even suites are small.

But location is very central, if you like the Champs Elysées area, and hotel, by its size and quality of service has a private mansion atmosphere.

Kimpton might be a better choice, especially with a toddler.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
InterContinental Paris Champs Elysées - Etoile has been recently very nicely renovated.
Still, as said before, even suites are small.
But location is very central, if you like the Champs Elysées area, and hotel, by its size and quality of service has a private mansion atmosphere.
Kimpton might be a better choice, especially with a toddler.
It seems like all rooms in Paris are small, but i suppose there is always smaller. I think the one that I can book with points there is 19 sq m, which seem pretty typical in Paris? I should note, toddler is well-behaved (benefit of being born during covid is she has lots of experience staying in 5 star hotels as things were rather affordable for a while there), it's more just we can't take cabs, we have someone who might put their hands on the floor and then in their mouth in an instant (so being somewhere clean and clear is helpful), and you have to be staying somewhere convenient to return to after lunch for a nap. Oh, and a good breakfast on site or at least a good coffee and pastry nearby for the mornings is a big help, since you're slowed down leaving the room in the morning.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
St Honore at its core is a generally elegant shopping street. IMO Champs Elysees is an unpleasant crowded tourist trap, although it looks beautiful with its holiday lights, which IIRC begin around American Thanksgiving time, in late November. If your trip is at the end of November, that could be a factor in the IC's favor. Otherwise St Honore is a more convenient and central location than l'Etoile (the "top" or far end of Champs Elysees).
Old May 9, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
have happily driven all over the world (including Italy and the Dom Rep.), but not sure whether or not a car is a reasonable way to get around in Paris, so would love to hear thoughts on that too (beyond the normal "don't rent a car" advice given to American tourists who generally do seem to have trouble driving in foreign lands for some reason).
There is really no need - or point - to hiring a car for a stay in Paris. Nothing to do with being American, it's simply the fact that Paris (like most European major cities) was not built for the car - even despite the efforts of M. Haussmann - and is best seen and traversed by other means, notably on foot. Of course if you plan on doing a road trip much further afield that's a different question.

Having not owned a toddler myself I can't comment on cab issues with them (presumably your issue is not wanting to lug around a car seat?) but buses are always an option if you don't love the up/down of the metro. They do get busy but persist and you'll get a space for you both.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure one can "own" a toddler . Not having had a toddler myself either, I shall abstain from further comments on the subject.

Now what OP probably referred to is the requirement to have children of varying ages to be placed in a proper child safety seat even when taking a cab or so which I can imagine to be a pain if you need to bring your own and haul it around.

Alas, as was shared by many posters, absolutely no need for it in Paris like many other major metropolitan areas in Europe. I was just in Vienna and while I had a snazzy rental car (all paid for to continue the trip later on to the mountain region) I drove it straight into the garage and left it there for 4 days. A pain in the behind with traffic and parking. YMMV.

Last edited by demue; May 10, 2022 at 10:15 am
Old May 10, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Not sure one can "own" a toddler . Not having had a toddler myself either, I shall abstain from further comments on the subject.

Now what OP probably referred to is the requirement to have children of varying ages to be placed in a proper child safety seat even when taking a cab or so which I can imagine to be a pain if you need to bring your own and haul it around.

Alas, as was shared by many posters, absolutely no need for it in Paris like many other major metropolitan areas in Europe. I was just in Vienna and while I had a snazzy rental car all paid for to continue the trip later on to the mountain region) I drove it straight into the garage and left it there for 4 days. A pain in the behind with traffic and parking. YMMV.
Yeah, the car seat is only about 10 lbs but it is very bulky, and if you carry the baby in it that's lugging 35 lbs, definitely not something I'm interested in (plus when you check a car seat it has to go in as oversize luggage, and then you get it out the other side in the oversize luggage bin, which for some reason means it 50 minutes after landing to get it and it looks like it went to war and back.

I enjoy the way they drive in Vienna, but I have to admit I only used the car to go between airport and hotel and not again until using it to drive to Salzburg. I do prefer using a car to get between cities though, as I find some of the best parts of the trip are the stops in between in the small towns you'd never spend an overnight in. I was glad to have a car in Lisbon though, and anywhere in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.