Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To redeem or not to redeem

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 5:14 pm

I personally have a city where I really need to go to on a regular basis, one of the IHG properties in town has rooms for 15,000 points (their standard points, no cash, no tax)
And it happens that this this hotel has nightly rates above $100 before taxes, so I decided on my own that for me 15,000 IHG points is worth more than $120.
So everything below that rate, I pay cash. (under normal circumstances.... During covid slowdown, the points were even more valuable, but no one wishes a pandemic for point value)

I know there are some hotels out there that are even more efficient (10,000 points/night), but they are not on my routes
Old May 11, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by 8mh
Or if the Hampton was just $65, I'd book it using cash! In fact, there's an argument to be made that if the Hampton is equivalent to the HIX and costs a mere $65, the value you'd get out of redeeming 20k IHG points for the HIX SHOULD be based on the lower cash rate of the Hampton!

Many bloggers propose using a rule of thumb based on a "value" threshold that is just very flawed in its construction. Don't follow such a questionable rule IMO.
I actually agree with 8mh, at least to certain extent. When I stay in Schaumburg, IL, I could redeem 5K points to stay at Hyatt House and the cash after tax rate is $112, so is the value of those points more than 2 cpp? No, because I can also stay at MainStay Suites nearby for $60 after tax, the true value of Hyatt points now becomes 1 cpp. Nothing wrong with Hyatt House but when I'm just on the road, need to store food overnight and get going next day, I find the cheapest suitable option/alternative, this is where I value the cpp.

Now, if I'm vacationing in Hawaii then the face values of those points become more realistic since almost all hotels of similar type/quality will command this amount of money (>= $250). Here's a scenario where the actual cpp maybe even higher than face values. Pioneer Inn in Maui, if I redeem with BW Reward points, the value is around .7 cpp ($250 a night). However, if I forgo this and try to find any alternative on the island, it will cost me much more ($300+ average).

Last edited by vincewy; May 16, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Old May 12, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by modi
I personally have a city where I really need to go to on a regular basis, one of the IHG properties in town has rooms for 15,000 points (their standard points, no cash, no tax)
And it happens that this this hotel has nightly rates above $100 before taxes, so I decided on my own that for me 15,000 IHG points is worth more than $120.
So everything below that rate, I pay cash. (under normal circumstances.... During covid slowdown, the points were even more valuable, but no one wishes a pandemic for point value)

I know there are some hotels out there that are even more efficient (10,000 points/night), but they are not on my routes
15000 IHG points is worth less than 120USD for sure, only around 80~90USD I'd say. Some might even value it at 75USD. If you can redeem 15000 points for a hotel above 100USD before taxes, that is definitely a good choice.

IHG frequently runs promo that gives 75% or 100% extra points when you buy points, so you can effectively buy 17500~20000 points for around 100USD when the promo runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.