Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021 | 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL

I want to use points to book this hotel. Does this property waive the Resort Fee for Platinums or Points Stays (like Hilton and Hyatt)?
Old Jan 11, 2021 | 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I want to use points to book this hotel. Does this property waive the Resort Fee for Platinums or Points Stays (like Hilton and Hyatt)?
hello I can confirm that they currently waived or are not charging resort fees. I just completed a stay here checking out 12/31/2020. They basically are not offering any amenities (pool, gym etc are closed due to COVID-19) so it makes sense they not charging the fee. Breakfast is also brown bag grab and go (cereal, milk, banana, orange, yogurt, and coffee/tea). Hope that helps. For upgrade try and push your luck for a suite, we were upgraded to an ocean view room. Small room with I think California king size bed. It was fine but felt like an upgrade could have been better.
Old Mar 2, 2021 | 4:30 pm

Can we use Chase free night in this property?
Old Mar 2, 2021 | 4:33 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Taikucing
Can we use Chase free night in this property?
As long as the price of the night you want to stay is 40,000 points or less you can.
Old Mar 2, 2021 | 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
As long as the price of the night you want to stay is 40,000 points or less you can.
Thanks, I can't see any availability for booking with points for this property yet. Hopefully there'll be availability this coming summer.
Old Jun 27, 2021 | 9:22 pm

I manage to book mine. I tried to book for my parent. Between the two of them, they have 3 free chase nights. I was trying to book for Wednesday - Saturday. I only manage to book the Friday to Saturday, while the other 2 nights are above 40k points (42k to be exact) This does not make any sense. LOL.
Old Jun 27, 2021 | 11:45 pm

Programs: IHG Priority Club Spire Ambassador, AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Explorist
They are charging a resort fee again, albeit discounted. I believe it was like $22 a night when we stayed there three weeks ago. We were not overly impressed by any means either but if you have points to spend then I guess that's a thought.
Old Jul 20, 2021 | 7:13 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by dougwhitaker13
They are charging a resort fee again, albeit discounted. I believe it was like $22 a night when we stayed there three weeks ago. We were not overly impressed by any means either but if you have points to spend then I guess that's a thought.
You may use points sometimes but at 55K (I sampled a few nights), it's one of the worst deals out there, worse than paying cash, not just in terms of cpp, also the location relative in Waikiki, where I'd consider this the most inconvenient, not only furthest away from the beach, but also furthest from main malls and restaurants, in addition more homeless and riffraff (between end of Kuhio and intersection of Ala Moana Blvd) compared to other parts of Waikiki.

The area (within a block) around the hotel is mostly deserted with just one ABC marketplace across Kuhio. It gets better once you go east to Lewers where all restaurants begin to pop up.

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 26, 2021 at 9:25 am
Old Jul 24, 2021 | 9:35 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA MP Silver; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Stayed here in 2017 and wasn't really impressed. I made a mental note to book on the HI Beachcomber next, but that was let go. Why doesn't IHG have any nice property in Hawaii?
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022 | 10:39 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Holiday Inn Express Waikiki (During Covid)

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Holiday Inn Express Waikiki (During Covid) (3 Photos)

1. To see the full hotel album please click the link below:

https://pigx5.com/Photos/2022/01/Hawaii/Holiday_Waikiki/

2. To see the hotel video review please click the link below:

https://youtu.be/jbub2u9Hapw

3. nearby dining, Marukame Udon and Waikiki Beach sunset video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVn9-uRMLA

4. photo album for Waikiki Beach sunset

https://pigx5.com/Photos/2022/01/Hawaii/d1-1/

Check In

The Check In counters had clear dividers due to Covid-19 but it did not stop the employees from providing great service. The front desk personel was warm and effecient. She also explained the parking situation, first come first serve, and the hotel aminities. The holel had more than 100 parking spaces. However, there were more than 500 rooms. If you arrived too late, you might not get a spot.  She also added that if you could not get a park space, you could come to the front desk and they would remove the charge for that night. 

Room

We were upgraded to a higher floor room with great ocean view. We did really appreciate the scenic view especailly for the beautiful sunsets. The room was very clean with the necessary amenities such as a coffee machine, a safe box, and a refrigrator. However, the room was on the small side. If you need space, this hotel is not for you. 

Very compact room

001.jpg

The view from the window

007.jpg

Dining

The hotel offered free breakfast at the dining hall daily. Due to the covid restrictions, they did not offer self service besides for the coffee and other hot beverages. People would stand in line with 6 feet apart, to receive their choice of meals from behind the counter prepared by the staff. The hotel did a great job with the menu. They actually managed to change the menu selections daily. The dining hall was spacious and we especially like the outdoor seating area. The attention to detail from the staff when it came to cleaning and sanitizing the tables after each guest was impecable. Kudos to the hotel and staff!!!

011.jpg 

The hotel was located nearby Waikiki Beach. It was about 10 to 15 minutes walking from the hotel which made it a prime location without all the crowds. 

Overall

Overall we liked this hotel, besides of the room size. 

Holiday Inn Express Waikiki (During Covid)

Would you like to write a review on the Holiday Inn Express Waikiki?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 23, 2023 | 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Just tried to book this property for 2 on points but only a Standard Room was available. Pretty typical. However, when I completed the booking, it reverted to 1 person per room with a note that Standard rooms are only for 1. I've never seen this before. We can all come up with various scenarios that make this ridiculous. Has anyone seen this elsewhere or is this just another made up rule by the hotel?

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Mar 24, 2023 at 10:26 am
Old Apr 21, 2023 | 2:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Im at the hotel now, checked in on Wednesday. Paid an average of 35k per night, not wanting to blow 50k+ per night on any of the Hilton properties.

I was quite surprised to see a window A/C unit, obviously not paying close enough attention to pigxs room photo.

The breakfast area is the largest HI/HIX Ive ever seen.

Ill take some photos and report back when I get home, but if anyone has questions, let me know.
Old Apr 21, 2023 | 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Just tried to book this property for 2 on points but only a Standard Room was available. Pretty typical. However, when I completed the booking, it reverted to 1 person per room with a note that Standard rooms are only for 1. I've never seen this before. We can all come up with various scenarios that make this ridiculous. Has anyone seen this elsewhere or is this just another made up rule by the hotel?
Yes, I know what you mean. My search default is for 2 guests and I couldnt find reward availability for a long while. At some point, I switched to 1 guest and, boom, I was able to book. I meant to ask about that during check in and forgot. Ill ask in the morning.
Old Apr 22, 2023 | 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
Yes, I know what you mean. My search default is for 2 guests and I couldnt find reward availability for a long while. At some point, I switched to 1 guest and, boom, I was able to book. I meant to ask about that during check in and forgot. Ill ask in the morning.
Please do and let us know what they say. I was going to call IHG Rewards customer service but that has been a frustrating proposition the last few times. Appreciate your response!
Old Apr 28, 2023 | 3:22 am

Originally Posted by boxo
What type of room did you end up staying in? Was it really meant for 1 person?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.