Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn points without staying in the room?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by bja200
Thanks for the very detailed and informed reply. I'm amazed that hotels go to these lengths!
Most of these things take little time. It's mostly comparing data from one column with another column.

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
How does this work in hotels in which key cards and locks are offline? (I'd conjecture non-networked systems are still the most common ones.)
Not all hotels will do all of the things I mentioned. And individual properties certainly might do things differently.

The list was meant as an example of the types of checks that happen, not as a bible for how all hotel operate.

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Also, how is it done in the EU after the introduction of the general data protection? Even if you have network integration regulation in 2018? It is most likely illegal to collect data on guests entering the room without the guest's explicit consent.
I can't answer that question. I have no knowledge about any of that and I'm not going to speculate. But, I'm certain hotels in the EU have procedures to ensure online check-ins have actually arrived without violating the law.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
So those two points are very YMMV based on individual hotel policies. Unlike others on FT, I don't think that my data points make up a hard and fast rule for everybody, but I have done it more than enough times to know that few, if any, hotels care where you slept... as long as you checked in physically and in person...
You can think about it as a flowchart. If a guest physically checks in at the Front Desk, none of the subsequent checks will be necessary.

But generally speaking, there are lots of poorly-run hotels out there. The types of checks I wrote about aren't going to happen at those types of businesses.

So, you are 100% correct. It's a YMMV situation.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on what you mean by "business travel" isn't this illegal too? Even risking a job for some hotel nights and points seems unwise.

I know you commented on these situations I have posted the last couple of years. Like I said every time I have asked my boss and HR if it was ok. As long as I stay under my spend limit they are ok with it. The only packages I cannot choose are physical gifts (I've seen packages for a visa gift card or mall gift card) or attractions/events-Packages that would get me free golf, amusement parks, sporting events ect. Points, food, drink ect are ok as long as they fall under spend limit of the hotel.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:38 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
It is understood that checking in person is required to earn points and night credit - no show will not work. But is it required to actually get a key card? I intend to check-in early morning and pay immediately upon arrival, then head to the airport and depart. Whether I actually get a room or not is irrelevant to me but I want to make sure I am actually "checked in" for the purposes of getting points and night credit if doing it this way. Perhaps a room will be available early morning and I will get a key card, but it would also not be shocking if they tell me the room is not available yet.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The risk is that we don't know what they will do if you never collect the key card. Will they cancel the check in or so that they can resell the room or not care and just mark you stay completed next day or so, not sure.

If the hotel offers digital key maybe you can use that to generate the digital access card once the room is ready.

You could just talk to the front desk if you want to be sure, say you just arrived and planned to stay, but your commitments changed and you urgently need to travel onwards. While you can't use the room then, you would like to get the stay credit at least as it is paid for and see what they say.

Or just roll the dice.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:24 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
What can be done is to book additional nights to one real stay - e.g. book one day prior to planned arrival and one night after planned departure (cool if you have a cheap 5000 bonus points rate) - to get two extra nights. you should inform the hotel that you arrive late so the reservation doesn't get cancelled.
I only do this when I have an early morning arrival (to secure a room ready for me) and when I have a late departure (after regular checkout time).
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:11 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
What can be done is to book additional nights to one real stay - e.g. book one day prior to planned arrival and one night after planned departure (cool if you have a cheap 5000 bonus points rate) - to get two extra nights. you should inform the hotel that you arrive late so the reservation doesn't get cancelled.
I only do this when I have an early morning arrival (to secure a room ready for me) and when I have a late departure (after regular checkout time).
This is my approach as well - mostly for flights Europe to Asia vv or Europe to Middle East vv. I make sure, that the hotel confirms that I arrive very late (read 6:00 the next morning). I deal with the check out in the hotel, but this is usually much easier, as many hotels count the night as occupied if you check out at 21:00 or 22:00 for a midnight departure.

I also received points for a no-show, but this was at a Hilton where I use online check-in. Not done on purpose, but last flight got cancelled and first in the morning was delayed, that I did not make it to the hotel (despite I had intended to do so).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.