Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Best Reward Programme to go to now that PriorityClub has lost its way for me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA:Gold; IHG: Platinum;

I've been very loyal to IHG for 20 years. My points total has gone up and down over the years but now is just over a million. The loss of PointBreaks and a completely inconsistent ruling by IHG depriving me of rollover nights from 2019 have been the final straws that have broken this camel's back.

Obviously, I'll use up my IHG points in normal redemptions. But which hotel loyalty scheme should I be looking to move to? I see Hilton does a quite useful status match ..do any of the other major chains offer this as well?

I dare say I'll miss IHG more than they will miss me - I was a long time platinum but didn't ever qualify for Spire. I just need to cut my losses with IHG now and find a more honest and reliable programme. Any ideas please?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Simple:

Marriott if you like actual benefits and being shown something for being a "loyal" geust - upgrades, 4pm checkout & free breakfast - but willing to pay a little higher room rate and/or desire more access to upscale properties, a lottttt of nice properties!

Hilton if you don't care much for the fluff, want a room with breakfast included and slightly lower rate.

BTW I'm in same boat... more like 15 years IHG... few years back I started to pickup a few spg stays ( prior to Marriott eating them ) just because I liked their Westin after randomly stayed at one; back then IHG just didn't have much of a middle ground, basically holiday express or fancy intercontinental. Then,
​ I found out about 4pm checkout so made sure to keep status with both - their gold only 10 stays. And as times gone on I've just seen IHG slowly just care less & less so I've been spending less & less with them. Now outside of a local hotel indigo where my wife likes to weekend "staycation," it's $0 spending just burning points while way on my way to lifetime plat with Marriott. Funny thing is last few years I've had very few stays with IHG, 20ish, but they left me as spire year over year... I thought oh maybe they do have lifetime just unpublished, nope this year dropped down to plat ( which stays by definition because of the $49 credit card that I never cancelled ) ironically this year is probably gonna be when I exhaust my points as taking a long cross country roadtrip this summer. Bye bye IHG, I will miss your cinnamon rolls and thanks for the memories - if you could sell hotel indigo to Marriott that'd be nice
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:44 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, no program is going to be perfect. I've had many good (and a few great) experiences with IHG. I'm MR PLT (LT G) but with their recent devaluation, no more 10 elite nights for "meetings" (seems like every year it gets worse,) and much higher rates, even factoring in the cost of breakfast at IHG that's not included, IHG still comes out on top. I pay the $200 per year for AMB and got a BOGO (the last one saved me about $400 at the IC SF,) 10% rebate (which you do have to chase,) and 15k for sign up and my Spire extends for another year even though I haven't close to requalifying the usual way.

Hyatt looks good if you can start out at Globalist, but that's difficult, and they are much higher priced, though extremely nice.

Hilton properties suck worse than IHG older HI's. And, even many of their more upscale properties don't impress. And the high burn, low earn rate on their program is often worse than IHG.

So, I'm staying put.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Marriott. Always willing to accommodate me for early arriving flight check-ins, nicer rooms with upgrades, over-all quality a step up from IHG for me. Comparable prices. In the same boat as you, I was sticking around with IHG for the promos but now the promos are weak, so moving on, but will return if the promos return. Not closing the IHG door, but for now I've lost interest.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrislondon2
I've been very loyal to IHG for 20 years. My points total has gone up and down over the years but now is just over a million. The loss of PointBreaks and a completely inconsistent ruling by IHG depriving me of rollover nights from 2019 have been the final straws that have broken this camel's back.[
I'd be curious to learn about the inconsistent ruling on rollover nights.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA:Gold; IHG: Platinum;
Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
I'd be curious to learn about the inconsistent ruling on rollover nights.

On asking about my missing rollover nights this year, I was told:

"Hello Mr. Chrislondon2,

Thank you for taking time to contact us. My name is XXXXXX and it's a pleasure assisting a Platinum member like you! I see that you had a recent stay at Holiday Inn - XXXX. I do hope that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for making us part of your travel plans.

Upon checking on your account, you earned a Total Tier-Level Qualifying Nights 46, However, 2 Rollover nights came from 2018, 10 Rollover nights came from starting 2013. The Qualifying nights you earned for 2019 is only 34.

I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this has caused but before the nights will be rollover to 2020, the requirement of Platinum Elite is 45 qualifying nights to be earned last 2019.

I hope I answered your concern, Chrislondon2.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll be more than happy to help."

I wasn't aware that rollover on Platinum Elite Qualification had been increased from 40 to 45 nights. And if rollover nights brought forward cannot be used in the calculation of rollover nights carried forward, how could I possibly have had 10 rollover nights brought forward into 2019 "from starting 2013". If rollover nights can be carried forward from 2013, then why not from 2019 to 2020? As it happens. I had only 2 rollover nights brought forward into 2019 from 2018, and I stayed at IHG hotels for 44 nights in 2019, so where these other 10 nights have appeared from is a mystery.

But it's a mystery I'm beyond caring about since the loss of point breaks as well. I'll just stop going for status at IHG now. I may well use up 20 or more redemption nights this year at IHG - and, to be honest, I'm keen to use up my remaining 1,007,363 points as quickly as I reasonably can before they devalue further

Last edited by chrislondon2; Feb 17, 2020 at 3:44 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I have been a Diamond with Hilton for over 20 years and been pretty happy; lot’s of properties from which to choose. - you will always get free breakfast and lounge access. Redemptions are ok, next month I have the Conrad Osaka booked, 380k for 5 nights - this is a $600 per night hotel so getting around a penny a point. Their $450 AX card will get you around $1000 of value, there are many threads on it.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Just a normal week. Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire

Monday - Ritz Carlton. No recognition, no upgrade, nuts in room, they at least remember my name, mediocre hardware
Tuesday - AC Hotel. No recognition, no breakfast at the hotel, uninterested staff, average hotel
Wednesday - Crowne Plaza, cordial welcome, upgrade, free breakfast, points, free drink, free water
Thursday - Sheraton, no recognition, no upgrade, uninviting hotel and lounge

​​​​​​Moving to Bonvoy is absurd in my experience. Average or bad hotels, no meaningful benefits
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by chrislondon2

I wasn't aware that rollover on Platinum Elite Qualification had been increased from 40 to 45 nights. And if rollover nights brought forward cannot be used in the calculation of rollover nights carried forward, how could I possibly have had 10 rollover nights brought forward into 2019 "from starting 2013". If rollover nights can be carried forward from 2013, then why not from 2019 to 2020? As it happens. I had only 2 rollover nights brought forward into 2019 from 2018, and I stayed at IHG hotels for 44 nights in 2019, so where these other 10 nights have appeared from is a mystery.

But it's a mystery I'm beyond caring about since the loss of point breaks as well. I'll just stop going for status at IHG now. I may well use up 20 or more redemption nights this year at IHG - and, to be honest, I'm keen to use up my remaining 1,007,363 points as quickly as I reasonably can before they devalue further
Marriott just did a major devaluation, so until the next recession, don't count on any of the other programs maintaining their current levels.

The last time I actually did more than 75 nights was 2016, and I had 14 rollover into 2017. The final total in 2017 was 86 nights, including the 14 rollovers (and 16 PB nights at the HI Silom just when I needed it as my apartment was being renovated,) and none of those extra nights rolled over to 2018.

Sometimes IHG IT errors in your favor, other times not so much. Overall, I've benefited from their mistakes, and am not afraid to call and talk to a live person when it's not, as they seem more intent on satisfying customers more these days, at least over the phone.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If the footprint can work for you, Hyatt. I also picked up Hilton last year, I am not thrilled or ready to try going exclusive but breakfast is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.