Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
The current rule by IHG in regard to cancelation due to the Coronavirus is published on:
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/customer-care/travel-advisory-covid-19

There are different rules for regular bookings and group and event bookings.

For new Booking (bookings made between April 06, 2020 and December 31, 2020)
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including December 31, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until December 31, 2020*.
For arrivals from January 01, 2021 all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

New Rule as of April 05, 2020 (last revised August 31, 2020)
(thank to rdh0924 and this post:
Free nights earned through credit cards are also being extended, depending on when they were earned. No new information on status requirements. Below is information directly from IHG's travel advisory page. Note the exception regarding China:

Cancellation policy & booking flexibly
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:

For Existing Bookings:
Existing bookings (bookings made by April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels* can be changed or cancelled for stays up to Decemer 31, 2020, noting that:

Important Information:
  • Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund).
  • If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where required by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
  • Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks.
  • Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
  • Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
*Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings at all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region will be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020

From January 01, 2021, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Additionally:

Anniversary night certificates earned through IHG Rewards Club credit cards (USA & UK):

We are extending the expiration date of anniversary and free night certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through August 31, 2021.

Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.

Old Rule (for reference) and probably still apply for booking in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan

IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between 09 March, 2020 and 30 April, 2020.

This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures IHG has in place. These are.
For any stay prior to 09 March, 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are travelling to or from:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
For bookings made through a travel agent or an online booking platform contact them direct. IHG has advised these companies of the cancellation policy.

This thread here is to discuss this booking, which are individual bookings. The aforementioned rule does not apply for event and group bookings (if made as such bookings). We understand it the way, that if you travel to a trade fair or conference and made a booking with the hotel of your own, this is an individual booking.

Group and Event Bookings
There is a dedicated rule for group and event bookings. IHG deals with this on a case-by-case basis.
IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply existing measures by IHG which enables the guest / organizer to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
You should contact the hotel to discuss this further.
It seems, that IHG is less relaxed on group bookings. These could not canceled.
We understand, that it has to be an event booking (trade fair rates may or may not belong to this).

We have a thread, which is about cancelation of events or rooms in regard to events:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2011602-modifying-non-refundable-booking-following-event-cancellation-due-coronavirus.html

Status Extenstion
Information about the extension of status could be found in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2012459-ihg-rewards-club-status-intercontinental-ambassador-membership-extension.html
This should be discussed in the thread mentioned above.

Ambassador Cancellations
IHG emailed Ambassador members on 3/11/20. The second paragraph of this notice said "With that in mind, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG® hotels globally for stays between 9 March and 30 April 2020." It remains to be seen if "waiving cancellation fees" equates to the refund of pre-paid, non-refundable bookings made before the email.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Cancellation Policy (update as of August 31, 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:02 am

I'll have experience soon enough... I cancelled a non-refundable stay at the Strings, Tokyo, for late October a couple of weeks ago (even if my flights hadn't been cancelled by BA, Japan isn't allowing foreign tourists - so the booking is now useless). The booking was made in January.

No refund has been received as yet and, as it's a significant amount of money, I've decided to chase it - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've emailed in a query, pointing out the key phrase "all future arrivals" in the pre-April section of the terms. For the post-April section it explicitly states "arrivals up to and including 30 September" instead.

I'll post an update once I get a reply.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:51 pm

I didn't receive a reply from IHG, but this morning I've had a refund from the Strings to my credit card (and, due to exchange rate changes since booking, I'm £200 up as a result! )

So - it looks like it's the case for pre-April bookings that if you cancel by today, no matter when the booking is for, you will get a refund.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:03 pm

Had a stay at an IC booked for May (approx £2k stay paid in advance) which have been in touch with them about but have been lack in properly chasing up.

They had no authority to refund until early September and then offered send half the payment and rest end of October :-) .... I kid you not.

Wandering if anyone seen anything like this?

Booking was pre-pay and made maybe December month.

Know policy is full refund but wandered if anyone been struggling arm twist funds back? Do get impression the hotel in question has been proper locked down and clearly with cash flow problems. They have not been saying no but have been playing chess. (offered me the 2k in points value .... I have over 4 mill points .... was a try I guess :-) )

I'm thinking this is not 'normal' even for this odd year?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: VS / IHG
Just noticed that you no longer get 'free' cancellation on points bookings - you always lose the first night's points. When did that change and why? Is there a thread somewhere for this? Seems a bit harsh...
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I made a few points bookings earlier this week - HI,CP and Kimpton - and all of them have the ‘cancel by 4pm the day before and miles will be returned” policy. Cancel after 4pm then they will charge you for the first night.

So which hotel and for what dates was your booking?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Wookiee501
Just noticed that you no longer get 'free' cancellation on points bookings - you always lose the first night's points. When did that change and why? Is there a thread somewhere for this? Seems a bit harsh...
I think that might be hotel/destination/date specific.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I made a few points bookings earlier this week - HI,CP and Kimpton - and all of them have the ‘cancel by 4pm the day before and miles will be returned” policy. Cancel after 4pm then they will charge you for the first night.

So which hotel and for what dates was your booking?
I've booked HI Brighton for December 12th and saw the 'no refund for the first night' policy for the first time. Also checked against The Venetian for a sample date in April and got the same thing.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just done a dummy booking for that date and the app states

"free cancellation until 4.00pm local time on 12 Dec 2020"

A booking email - rather than just doing a bookign search - I have for the HI Manchester for next year states that if I cancel within 24 hours of the 1st night then I will lose a nights worth of points which has always been the case. A Kimpton Amsterdam allows me to cancel by 4PM on the day of arrival for no charge otherwise I again lose the points for the 1st night.

Not sure why you think this is a change of policy?

BTW bring a good coat. The sea front is freezing at the moment
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just done a dummy booking for that date and the app states

"free cancellation until 4.00pm local time on 12 Dec 2020"

A booking email - rather than just doing a bookign search - I have for the HI Manchester for next year states that if I cancel within 24 hours of the 1st night then I will lose a nights worth of points which has always been the case. A Kimpton Amsterdam allows me to cancel by 4PM on the day of arrival for no charge otherwise I again lose the points for the 1st night.

Not sure why you think this is a change of policy?

BTW bring a good coat. The sea front is freezing at the moment
I don't get offered the 4pm bit - that's the point. I'll upload a screenshot...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:15 am

Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I simply cannot replicate that working for the rooms I checked for the HI, Brighton UK for the 12th December.

All the rooms and rates I checked have a 'cancel before 4pm' policy.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:55 am

Looks like it's specific to me then! I had to cancel a load of points bookings in Vegas and New York for November for obvious reasons - I wonder if that's flagged something on my account that means I don't get the benefit of free cancellations any more?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I booked a reservation in August for Washington DC inauguration week and stand to lose all 125,000 points if I cancel.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
FOR BOOKINGS MADE UP TO AND INCLUDING DECEMBER 31, 2020:

With continued changes of government travel advice, guests who have made non-refundable/pre-paid reservations may want to consider changes to trips already booked.

All non-refundable/pre-paid bookings made up to and including December 31, 2020 can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until December 31, 2020*.

After December 31, 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

Please note, all bookings (made directly with IHG), including non-refundable/pre-paid rates, can be changed without charge – although changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing. Please see the booking information on your booking confirmation for details on the time period for any changes to bookings.

More at: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:46 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have updated the WiKi. Feel free to correct information which I missed
boxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.