Wiki Posts
Search

Spire Elite benefits on reward stay at IC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Spire Elite benefits on reward stay at IC

What benefits am I entitled to get on reward stay at IC, as Spire Elite ?

I see on benefits chart, no upgrade on reward stays. Is that true ?

any possibility to get upgrade and/or free breakfast and/or Lounge access ?

the hotel would be IC Dubai Marina

thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Adjust your expectations. Spire guarantees you nothing in terms of elite benefits, even less at an IC which runs its own separate Ambassador programme.

Check the hotel thread for any specific advice about this hotel.
Unterwegs, Dav77 and seat38a like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At ICs, Spire gets 100% base point bonus, free wifi and occasionally a free newspaper. The ICs I stayed at when Spire but not Amb made a big song and dance about the above.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dav77
any possibility to get upgrade and/or free breakfast and/or Lounge access ?

the hotel would be IC Dubai Marina
It's not a hotel known for generosity of spirit.

And it will take generosity to get any sort of meaningful recognition if you are not in the Ambassador programme.

There are only a few ICs I would stay at now I've dropped from RA to a simple Ambassador, and this isn't one of them: I can see no point staying here perk free unless you value the location.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's not a hotel known for generosity of spirit.

And it will take generosity to get any sort of meaningful recognition if you are not in the Ambassador programme.

There are only a few ICs I would stay at now I've dropped from RA to a simple Ambassador, and this isn't one of them: I can see no point staying here perk free unless you value the location.
I do have some IHG points to spend and was looking for an hotel for 2 nights in Dubai

unfortunately there isn’t anything on the beach or Palm ...and I can’t see even anything to get lounge access
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do have some IHG points to spend and was looking for an hotel for 2 nights in Dubai

unfortunately there isn’t anything on the beach or Palm ...and I can’t see even anything to get lounge access
Do you must stay at The Palm? It is not the most convenient location to tour Dubai which most touristy things are not on The Palm.

No you do not get any lounge access because it is not a benefit in IHG program. Only RA gets such but not on point stay anyway.

Like posters said, most ICs do not give a hoot to IHG "elites" but there are some exceptions that would give you a drink voucher to enjoy a drink at hotel's lobby lounge, IC Hong Kong is one of those and its lobby lounge has the best view of Victoria Harbour, but such ICs are very far and few in between.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you must stay at The Palm? It is not the most convenient location to tour Dubai which most touristy things are not on The Palm.

No you do not get any lounge access because it is not a benefit in IHG program. Only RA gets such but not on point stay anyway.

Like posters said, most ICs do not give a hoot to IHG "elites" but there are some exceptions that would give you a drink voucher to enjoy a drink at hotel's lobby lounge, IC Hong Kong is one of those and its lobby lounge has the best view of Victoria Harbour, but such ICs are very far and few in between.
we have been to Dubai several times ...normally during Easter week, for one week, some days in Abu Dhabi and some days in Dubai.

I was trying to manage some days using IHG points, but I think I won’t do it. There are several better options in Dubai where to use Accor or Marriott points (I’m Plat at both chains) especially at hotels with free lounge access.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy

The IC Hong Kong also gives IHG "elites" a room with a nice view of the garbage dumpsters instead of Victoria Harbour, so yeah... a drink voucher makes it the place to stay in HK...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have been to Dubai several times ...normally during Easter week, for one week, some days in Abu Dhabi and some days in Dubai.

I was trying to manage some days using IHG points, but I think I won’t do it. There are several better options in Dubai where to use Accor or Marriott points (I’m Plat at both chains) especially at hotels with free lounge access.
JWM Marquis has a very good lounge. Though you may want to make sure to get the room at the same tower the lounge is located to avoid the hassle of changing elevators. The lounge staff were excellent. Key is to avoid the rush hours in the morning and also in the evening.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The IC Hong Kong also gives IHG "elites" a room with a nice view of the garbage dumpsters instead of Victoria Harbour, so yeah... a drink voucher makes it the place to stay in HK...
Where did I say IC HK is the place to stay in Hong Kong because of the drink voucher?

The drink voucher is an example to show, some ICs would give a token recognition while some ICs would go straightly by the book, i.e. NOTHING to you the IHG Elite unless you are Ambassdor or Royal Ambassdor.

Besides, have you paid for a drink at IC Hong Kong lobby lounge? You know how much a beer costs? The 2 drink vouchers given when 2 guests in a room, is A Lot More Generous than many IHG hotels around the world, that have given as "Elite" recognition. Just sayin.

Sure you understand how IHG system works? The "elites" have no meaningful benefits even at brands outside IC, no free breakfast, no lounge access (Occasionally Spire would get the access but definitely not at IC).

Knowledge is important so one would not be ignorant enough to have wrong standard and unfulfilled expectation that leads to bitter sentiment. Know how IHG program works you would not expect to get "Elite" benefits at ICs, not to mention the elite benefits of IHG program is well, very little. .

You also know both Ambassadors and Royal Ambassadors require an annual fee and certain number of stays at IC, right?

Just how can you expect any meaningful benefits at IC with your IHG "Elites" when the chain runs 2 completely different programs?

You realize that IHG before buying InterContinental Group, it is just a Holiday Inn... To not alienate the existing IC customers and to keep that brand separate from the Holiday Inn and such, the corporation came up with their ways of differentiation, just some historic background.

As for the room assignment - You will NOT get a Victoria Harbour view on points or not pay for that view, not even you are an RA.

There is long running thread in this forum about What is the Lowest Level Rate to book, so to ensure an upgrade to a Harbour View Room. Read that thread so may be next time if you want that view you know what to book, AND hopefully you would be at least an Ambassdor at the time of stay. Hey $200 was the price of AF a couple years ago, may be you would consider to shell out?

So I dont know what basis you have on your complain if you do not pay for that. It is always a pay upgrade, though sometimes you may get lucky on a multi-days stay you may only need to pay one or two nights at that rate when you combine points nights with the pay nights.

Our experiences at this property has always been from good to excellent despite all our stays were the 2 annual FNs. Always get room upgrades to the larger rooms sometimes with partial harbour view, sometimes a junior suite on the low floors. They even sent up a nice little cheesecake on a birthday occasion. Frankly we care much more about room size than the Victoria harbour view. On one occasion we were given a choice and we opted for the junior suite.

In our 4 consecutive years using our FNs there, the worst upgrade was a room on the ground floor with a terrace that had a path to the swimming pool - but due to the construction next door, said path is closed and the terrace facing the ongoing terrace - now that is what I call a dumpy room assignment despite the room itself is a good size junior suite with the living area and the bed area fairly separate just without a door.

Oh a friend had a 4 nights stay last year. He booked a harbour view room using his annual buy 1 get 1 free weekend night Ambassdor benefit, followed by 2 FNs from his and his wife's IHG cards. Hotel informed him the upgrade fee on Day 3 and 4. He accepted. On Day 3 hotel called up and said he did not need to pay, hotel decided to give it as free upgrade.

May be you can double that experience if you are an Ambassdor and decide to try your luck? :It is a good deal since you only pay one night for 4 nights stay at a Victoria Harbour View room.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 12, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
I stayed there this week as a Spire Ambassador. I booked a few nights stay on points. Was upgraded to a nice room on the 17th floor (not facing the harbour though), gifted free breakfast for a day, discounts on food ordered in the hotel and drinks vouchers in addition to the Welcome benefits and offered 4pm checkout.

I got "Executive benefits" at Holiday Inn in Shanghai which granted daily free breakfast, free soft drinks from the lounge during the day, free cocktails and snacks during "happy hour", a daily free allowance from the minibar, a daily dry cleaning allowance and some other things.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Nov 14, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:09 pm

I guess ICHK is very YMMV. I've stayed there twice on Chase Free Nights in previous years. Both times I was upgraded to a Harbor View Junior Suite. Regular Ambassador the first time and just regular Plat (no Ambassador) the second time. I was actually ready to sign up for Ambassador at the lobby to try and finagle an upgrade, but I didn't even need to do that.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
I stayed there this week as a Spire Ambassador. I booked a few nights stay on points. Was upgraded to a nice room on the 17th floor, gifted free breakfast for a day, discounts on food ordered in the hotel and drinks vouchers in addition to the Welcome benefits and offered 4pm checkout.
This week (and the past few months) are going to be really different than normal though. Hotels in HK are running extremely low occupancy due to the protests.

That said, as stated in my previous post I have had good luck at ICHK before. I love the property
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Originally Posted by baroqen
This week (and the past few months) are going to be really different than normal though. Hotels in HK are running extremely low occupancy due to the protests.

That said, as stated in my previous post I have had good luck at ICHK before. I love the property
True and I left early thanks to the protesters doing a proper job disrupting public transport and the road networks. I really liked the property too and will return when it has all blown over.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
True and I left early thanks to the protesters doing a proper job disrupting public transport and the road networks. I really liked the property too and will return when it has all blown over.
Depending on when you go back, you might not get a chance to ever stay at the ICHK again. They're going to go down for renovations and a rebranding next year to go back to the Regent brand.

Of course, they pushed back the original renovation plans, which were supposed to happen earlier this year. I bet they're regretting it now as the past half year has probably been terrible business anyway as will the next half year or more, they might as well have been down with the originally planned schedule.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by :D!
At ICs, Spire gets 100% base point bonus, free wifi and occasionally a free newspaper. The ICs I stayed at when Spire but not Amb made a big song and dance about the above.
So you get a song and dance welcome amenity - spectacular

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.