Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Platinum Strategy Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

IHG Platinum Strategy Advice

After some advice around best way to get IHG platinum. Do IHG have a standard membership renewal year?>. I am 8k off getting platinum and would like to make that if only for the extra point bonus. But also want to hit Hilton gold challenge.

I have 3 stays coming up.
1 x November of one night
1 x December of 5 nights
1 x January 5 nights
1 x January

I have no accelerate but do have access to the new 4X offer from IHG and 2X offer from Hilton. Any advice would be appreciated. I also have the iHG credit card. What would you do in this situation

Last edited by kitbag1984; Oct 25, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Don't you already have IHG Platinum since you have the credit card?
mendezka likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Don't you already have IHG Platinum since you have the credit card?
No. Only have the free card so I’m gold.

Happy to book a bonus points stay. But not sure when the membership year expires
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
The Premier IHG World Elite automatically gives you Platinum. The annual free night more than makes up for the card's annual fee and you get 10X the Rewards Points on IHG stays per dollar charged.

Spend $200, get 2000 points. These points count towards Spire status as well.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:55 am
Suspended

After some advice around best way to get IHG platinum. Do IHG have a standard membership renewal year?
Most commonly, the membership year coincides with the calendar year. But it's not true in each and every scenario so I recommend checking your (digital) membership card.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:00 am

Happy to book a bonus points stay. But not sure when the membership year expires
From the number of stays you mention it seems like you'd really benefit from having the Premier card (even without taking into account the annual free night). The annual fee of $89 probably makes sense for you. No judgement here, just think that you should really consider it.

Now to answer your question, membership goes by calendar year so if you are trying to qualify for platinum (or maintain gold) you need to complete the required activity before the 2019 calendar year ends.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Now to answer your question, membership goes by calendar year so if you are trying to qualify for platinum (or maintain gold) you need to complete the required activity before the 2019 calendar year ends.
If you look at what you quoted:

But not sure when the membership year expires [my highlighting]
It usually expires at the end of the calendar year, yes. But there are exceptions (for instance, due to status match promotions or due to the shifts to the membership level duration due to Ambassador).
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: NZ
Purchase an Ambassador membership for $200 and get Platinum status. Or am I being too simplistic?

Although I agree that given the OP's travel profile the credit card might be a better option going forward.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. Just to add I am a UK citizen so we only get platinum by spending £99 per year on a credit card. I’m just trying to work out the best way to get both with my current situation I suppose going forward it would make sense just to buy platinum via the credit card
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by minz56
Purchase an Ambassador membership for $200 and get Platinum status. Or am I being too simplistic?

Although I agree that given the OP's travel profile the credit card might be a better option going forward.
Depends on whether most of the stays are at Intercontinental Hotels which provides for the upgrade, late check out, etc.

I find having both the cc and Ambassador worthwhile.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hi I’m from the UK and have the IHG Mastercard as I find it worth the £99 cost with its initial 20,000 signup points (upon spending £200 in first 3 months) which I easily value at £100 (in fact I completed a £190 redemption for 20,000 points last week) and thereafter the annual free night cert awarded upon renewal if you’ve spent over £10,000 in the year. The card comes with IHG Plat which clears immediately upon the card being agreed - I know this because I got my wife one earlier this year. Zero status to Plat overnight!
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:43 pm

Thanks all for your responses. Just to add I am a UK citizen so we only get platinum by spending £99 per year on a credit card. I’m just trying to work out the best way to get both with my current situation I suppose going forward it would make sense just to buy platinum via the credit card
Do you ever stay at Intercontinental properties?

I'd buy Ambassador status which will elevate your Gold to Platinum and get the extra perks at ICs as well as the free weekend night voucher which usually pays for itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.