Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Muse New York City Master Thread - no longer an IHG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Kimpton Muse New York City Master Thread - no longer an IHG

Stay Report 10/14 - 10/15

Location: The hotel is located on West 46th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. Obviously if you're going to be attending the theater like I was it's a perfect location. Otherwise, it can feel a little touristy as you're half a block from Times Square. Nearby are a ton of restaurants and bars and a 24 hour bodega. LGA was a $35 cab ride, EWR was $55. There's plenty of subway stations you can walk to within a couple of blocks as well and it's very easy to get a cab.

Hotel: The hotel itself is an older building but it's in great shape. The lobby itself is pretty small and it gets very crowded during the wine happy hour. Just off the lobby is a bar and restaurant. Do note that different floors of the hotel require using different elevators.

Check In: I arrived just before 1 PM and was told I'd been upgraded but that my room wasn't ready yet. I went out for lunch and got a call at 2:30 PM that it was ready. I was thanked for being a Spire and told about the $15 minibar credit.

Room: My room was definitely an upgrade. I'd booked a standard King and was upgraded to a junior suite. This not only meant a separate living room and bedroom but a massive bathroom with stand up shower (with bench) and a full tub. The $15 minibar credit covered a mini bottle of Jack and a Coke though I still had to pay $3 extra. There were outlets near the bed and the wifi worked well. Soundproofing is decent enough but it is New York so there will be noise.

This hotel is expensive (I paid something like $400 before taxes) but for going to the theater it's a great location. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and I felt like I was at a luxury hotel.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This is a great location, and I love the Kimpton brand, but wouldn't stay here again. Construction going on downstairs, so no restaurant/bar and a very crowded lobby. Wi-fi in my room was truly awful, almost shocking for a Kimpton in 2019. Major noise issues with my room on the ninth floor, and I don't have an issue with that given that it's NYC, but I know people who wouldn't have been able to tolerate it. (I'm suggesting that the windows were not especially soundproof.)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
My wife an I stayed at the Kimpton Muse using my last "Unlimited" Chase Free Night in December of 2018 between Christmas and New Years.

It's a VERY busy time of the year in NYC as you might imagine, Times Square was shoulder-to-shoulder and we only made it about a block from the Rockefeller Center tree which was close enough to get pictures and then break out of the crowds.

Location is great, the hotel was very well kept and we enjoyed the unique Kimpton style, being the first time staying with the brand as an IHG/IC Spire Elite AMB. Was given the $15 mini-bar credit which won't get you much, but it's good for a beer and a candy bar at least.

There was also a wine social in the lobby in the evening which we enjoyed before heading out to diner. I believe they have free bike loans/rentals in the warmer months which is a unique hotel perk. There's also an Icon parking garage just a few doors down (164 West 46th Street) on the same side of the street which you would reach BEFORE the hotel which is very convenient.

Overall we had a good night, and you can't beat free! Ah the good old IHG days....

Previously, we used my Chase free nights at the IC Times Square and the Crowne Plaza Times Square. I would place the Kimpton in between them based on hotel class (IC TS #1 ), as far as location it's a toss up depending on what your plans are, for Times Square excursions the CP would be my #1 , for a unique modern chic style in the Rockefeller Center/Theater District area we would visit the Kimpton Muse again.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stay over Memorial Day Wknd

Stayed here on Sun over Memorial Day wknd. Originally booked a standard King, but was graciously upgraded to an Exec Suite!! (via IHG Plat Elite status). I also mentioned the seasonal Kimpton 'secret social password' (upon check-in) and was given 2 free breakfast buffet vouchers (normally $50+tax). Unlike Kimpton Ink48, Kimpton Muse offers Cold Brew coffee, which was definitely a nice touch! Being a Plat member also gave us a $15 'Raid the Mini-Bar' credit, as well as early check-in, late check-out. The mandatory $25 guest amenity fee also includes a $10 mini-bar credit. As other reviewers have already mentioned, this hotel is a little dated, but it offers excellent proximity, as you're pretty much in the heart of NYC--Theater District, 1 block from Times Sq.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:50 pm

Any recent stays? Is the construction in the lobby finished?

Trying to decide between the three Kimptons.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:27 pm

Stayed a few weeks ago at all three Kimptons.

All lobby construction is done and the bar/restaurant area is all redone. Scaffolding is still on the outside of the building, though. Rooms are still the same. Service was great this time around. When I needed to extend my stay two different times (suddenly), the front desk agent and manager on duty offered to keep me at my previous (very cheap) rate when actual rates were much higher.

The Muse still has the most wear and tear, and the rooms are the most dated. Times Square location is not for everyone either. My favorite is the Ink48 because of the size of the rooms and the relatively quiet location in Hell’s Kitchen. The Eventi is a verrrry close second. It’s the most modern and posh IMO but the rooms are a tad smaller. The Muse a more distant third. All three have good status recognition (I’m Inner Circle)

I would still be happy at the Muse if the other two are booked or much more expensive.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just stayed under COVID. No F&B, but they have Fiji water and I got a half-bottle of wine with the secret phrase. And an Exec Suite upgrade as Inner Circle. And 2pm check out. The hotel is far from busy, but there were other guests going in and out each time I passed through the lobby. Times Square was relatively busy this weekend, even it was mostly locals. There were four restaurants open right by the hotel with tables setup on the sidewalk and street. 46th street is currently blocked for cars, I think for Con Ed work. The Irish pub next door had the Lakers game on the TV pointed towards the street so I could sit back, drink beer and watch the game. Kind of like an outdoor sports bar which is a rare thing in New York these days.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
Kimpton Muse NYC

Platinum ambassador. 15th floor.
5000 points for using road trip. King bed and we got this amazing balcony!

Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:52 pm

We had a recent stay at the Muse, and must say that we were underwhelmed. We had not been in the city since pre-COVID, and while we had a nice time, and the hotel is in a fantastic location, it truly didn't do it for us. We have stayed at several Kimpton's, and this was our least favorite. Maybe it was because of the stripping of amenities, or the tiny room (no upgrade despite plenty of availability). Yes, we received the half bottle of wine with the secret password, but that was about it. The room we were in was also showing some wear and tear--particularly in the bathroom. The only saving grace is that we had a dirt-cheap rate due to COVID. We like to try different hotels, and while we weren't expecting the Carlyle or Plaza, the Muse just seemed blah. There was nothing downright bad about our stay--it just wasn't a hotel we would return to with so many other choices in the area.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just noticed the Muse is available using Chase Free night vouchers for my nights in December that I have the Crowne Plaza booked. IC TS is also available so I am trying to decide if I should change to the Muse or the IC or just stay with the CP. Is the Muse much better than the CP? What about in comparison to the IC TS? I have stayed at the IC numerous times but not the CP or the Muse.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Just noticed the Muse is available using Chase Free night vouchers for my nights in December that I have the Crowne Plaza booked. IC TS is also available so I am trying to decide if I should change to the Muse or the IC or just stay with the CP. Is the Muse much better than the CP? What about in comparison to the IC TS? I have stayed at the IC numerous times but not the CP or the Muse.
I’ve stayed at all three within the past 12 months, and much prefer the IC. I’ve had a few dozen stays at the IC over the years, and prefer it to most Times Square hotels.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes the CP is by far the worst. The IC has the best rooms and is the best overall hotel. But the Muse is nice and on a nicer block.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
TTT103 and stimpy .....Thanks for the feedback! I have stayed at the IC numerous times but the last stay was nothing to write home about since IMHO the hotel rooms are in desperate need of a reno or at least a refresh but that seems to keep getting put off due to the owners and IHG battling over their contract. (Last room I had had torn/tattered sheets, stained carpeting, no picture on the wall but the hooks used to hang the picture next to the bed were still protruding from the wall, chipped bath mirror, etc. etc.) I thought maybe the Muse would be something different but it seem the IC is still the best alternative. Neither the IC or the Muse were available at 40k when I booked the CP but with them as options it changes the equation.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe as RA I am always upgraded to really nice rooms at the IC. I was in a King Business room about a year ago there and it was an excellent room in perfect condition. And as Kimpton Inner Circle I got a nice suite at the Muse. But not as spacious or nice as the room I had at the IC. The rooms at the CP are more like a Holiday Inn.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
TTT103 and stimpy .....Thanks for the feedback! I have stayed at the IC numerous times but the last stay was nothing to write home about since IMHO the hotel rooms are in desperate need of a reno or at least a refresh but that seems to keep getting put off due to the owners and IHG battling over their contract. (Last room I had had torn/tattered sheets, stained carpeting, no picture on the wall but the hooks used to hang the picture next to the bed were still protruding from the wall, chipped bath mirror, etc. etc.) I thought maybe the Muse would be something different but it seem the IC is still the best alternative. Neither the IC or the Muse were available at 40k when I booked the CP but with them as options it changes the equation.
Given that you have previously stayed at the IC, give the Muse a try if by some chance availability opens at 40K. The CP is descent, but a notch down from the other two hotels. However, for free, I’d have no issue staying at the CP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.