Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had 3.7 Million IHG point, how would you use them?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

If you had 3.7 Million IHG point, how would you use them?

Would like to get the input of more skilled IHG folks than me if I could please.

I have a large bag of IHG points and aside from donating them out to family for stays in the past, I would like to make a plan to use them in the best possible way and wandered what you think would be the best way to go?

I have long standing RA, have travelled most places and so am entirely open to ideas. I lean towards SE Asia as an experience and as the best provider of treatment over the years but anything goes.

I'm thinking to split them over two larger trips over maybe two years but again is entirely open to debate. Multiple locations are fine and what we tend to do vacation wise.

Wandering which locations you know are best cash in of points ideally with RA treatment. I read the RA treatment threads but if you were to make sure a plan?

In short if you had the points where would you go, what treatment could you expect and for how long would you go?

Bit of fun but is a genuine consideration and plan being hatched. Very interested to know how you would do it.

Cheers
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
It is not just location of ICs to consider but one needs to first research + know which ICs will provide upgrade+lounge to an RA on award night bookings.

First tabulate a list of these good ICs for points nights and then use that list as a basis for my trip(s), unless location is more important than upgrade+lounge benefits.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
It is not just location of ICs to consider but one needs to first research + know which ICs will provide upgrade+lounge to an RA on award night bookings.

First tabulate a list of these good ICs for points nights and then use that list as a basis for my trip(s), unless location is more important than upgrade+lounge benefits.
Hi Scubaccr, yes agree your point. Given your experience what would you consider say the top 5 IC's that would give you that package experience in great locations?

I know it sounds a wide open field question but it really is just that. Interested to know exactly how you would do it. Location is a secondary to some extent at this point. That said I don't fancy 6 weeks just in Frankfurt :-)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:43 am

Maybe win an auction: https://auctions.ihg.com/
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
Maybe win an auction: https://auctions.ihg.com/
:-) an interesting twist. I've never even seen this option. Thanks for the idea, worth a read. Think that must be US only maybe? Not seen that in the UK.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
whatever you decide, I would spend the points all soon before their value is further inflated away

I could easily spend a week at a time at some of the better ICs
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
The perks can be nice, but I wouldn't base my stay around that. I would go for a location first, then work on benefits. It's not terribly uncommon to see a reward night sold out. I don't know what kind of problem that might present for a long-term booking. The one good thing about the devaluation of the free night on the card is it should free up some reward night availability.

My biggest focus would be visiting a new spot I always wanted to see, or a past favorite. French Polynesia can be very cliche, but I would say if I had more points than I knew what to do with, that would be near the top of my list. Again, reward nights can be tough for that.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
The perks can be nice, but I wouldn't base my stay around that. I would go for a location first, then work on benefits. It's not terribly uncommon to see a reward night sold out. I don't know what kind of problem that might present for a long-term booking. The one good thing about the devaluation of the free night on the card is it should free up some reward night availability.

My biggest focus would be visiting a new spot I always wanted to see, or a past favorite. French Polynesia can be very cliche, but I would say if I had more points than I knew what to do with, that would be near the top of my list. Again, reward nights can be tough for that.
Oh yes for sure, no point getting free club lounge if you stuck somewhere grim. For sure. But I was sort of looking to folks for an actual personal plan...based on experiences, yes location suggestions but also the perks. I.e this is what 'you' would do .... again based on good experiences. I guess in that sense I'm not actually looking to sub the plan out but look to cherry pick the knowledge and experiences of others. And as you rightly say, based on practical availability.

For example if I could get 2 weeks in IC SIN with full RA perks, another 2 weeks at IC Bali and 2 weeks at another place with the same then that would be a plan. I don't know if that's doable but you get the idea.

Or the same going West .... could you do that at a selection of decent IC's with full RA pack in the US .... or even a Canada down to South America trip with full benes?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Have you been to Vietnam? You could put together a nice trip including Hanoi, Danang, and Ho Chi Minh.
markle and Atacama40 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Have you been to Vietnam? You could put together a nice trip including Hanoi, Danang, and Ho Chi Minh.
Yes done all the Vietnam locations save the new on on the island opening soon but would go again. You have an idea how they treat RA's on points stays? Great area
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
There'sof course many options and many factors to consider, but form the top of my head I would say have a look at the IC Dubai Marina. Brand new hotel in great location, RA benefits on award stays (always have the hotel confirm via email before booking), Club is small but great staff and selection, beautiful views over the marina and nice pool.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r0me0
There'sof course many options and many factors to consider, but form the top of my head I would say have a look at the IC Dubai Marina. Brand new hotel in great location, RA benefits on award stays (always have the hotel confirm via email before booking), Club is small but great staff and selection, beautiful views over the marina and nice pool.
Is a good call r0me0 especially as an RA award stop over en-route somewhere 2 or 3 days inbetween.Big fan of Festival City who are always excellent on RA stays but never done points at FC or Marina. Nice call thanks
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Although I suggested use good ICs who give lounge+upgrades as basis to plan trip, did not mean don't mix in with some less generous ICs in great citties. In Asia, Eastern Europe where wages are less, eg IC Bangkok club upsell is fairly cheap compared to eg IC PLG/IC-ParkLane.
Of course there are the aspirational ICs eg Bora Bora, Mona, Tahiti. Bali, if one can get the nights booked, not easy if small room numbers so only 3or4 award rooms per night. That also may play a part in your decision, plan around ICs where award nights are far far easier to book.

Good RA Award Treatment
o IC HongKong in Asia have always given lounge on award nights, alas theey no longer give RAs the Superior Junior suite from base room as before (whether paid or points bokings)
o IC Pattaya (I have been regular since rebrand) treat Award same as Paid
o IC Paris Le Grand, since 2017 Lounge seems only regulars on points but nice room upgrades still usually given to all RAs
o IC Kiev , lounge+upgrade on awards like paid nights.

European ICs Citys try if not there before whether or not great treatment
IC Amsterdam (no lounge) Used to give suites for RAs on awards
IC Madrid
IC Paris
IC Berlin
IC Budapest
IC Bucharest
IC Kiev
IC Cannes (no lounge at property)

Plus some locations are fairly inexpensive if you have a corporate rate around circa100-120gbp night maximum I can't see need/value to use points or can book mix of paid/award to get consecutive nights if some award nights sold out
o Budapest
o Berlin
o IC Madrid
o IC Porto
o IC Frankfurt
o Bucharest
o IC Pattaya
o IC Bangkok
o IC Kuala Lumpur (Book Club room as RA and get one of the Ambassador Suite if available/unsold at checkin)
o IC Hanoi
o IC Saigon
o IC Semiramis Egypt
o IC Citystars Egypt

nb
Don't worry about booking only ICs, some CPs are great and ok on award nights treatment and even, in better locations than ICs. , eg CP London City, Amsterdam Zuid
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I would say it all depends on your own personal circumstances - i.e. how much time you have and what you personally value.

You have around enough points for 2 months at top class, 60k-a-night hotels. If you are long retired and looking for a big once-in-a-lifetime blowout, this is definitely the way to go.

A week each in Thailand and the Phillipines, with 3-night stopovers in Tokyo, Singapore and Honkers, followed by a month on Bali would probably leave you with some change.

Alternatively, if you are still working and want to travel the world over a long period and are happy to stick with HIs and HIXs, you have enough for 20 years of fun-filled road trips.

Personally, as a 40yo semi-retired single male, I would take the latter every time.

But it all depends on your personal circumstances. There is no single, right answer to the question "What is the best way to spend x-number of points?"

The best way to spend the points is on something that makes you happy.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Coming from the front page, it reads like you have "F-you points", not as awesome as "F-you money" but in IHG, you can do whatever you want. I think you're planning too small. Why not do something gloriously over the top? Buy out a hotel! Get 100 rooms for one night at a Holiday Inn Express and pick your favorite support group (math teachers, autistic child support staff, dog rescuers, whoever). Throw in some quid for a posh dinner for them and you have a lifetime experience.

For you. Sure, you've made a great weekend for some group in your town. Yeah yeah. You've also made a lifelong memory for you and your family. Two more weeks in Vietnam or Bali would be wonderful - I've never been to either. But what's 4 weeks vs 6? You say you've travelled most places, but have you done something like this? Maybe you don't like organizing or publicity, in which case this would be painful, but if you're okay with public and planning I think this could be the "best possible way".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.