Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aspirational properties under 40,000 points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Aspirational properties under 40,000 points?

Now that IHG's annual credit card free night certificate has been capped to properties that go for 40,000 points or less, what are the most aspirational/best properties to redeem the certificate at? Thought it might be nice to start a list - I haven't seen one anywhere. Sounds like, unsurprisingly, almost every Kimpton or IC is out.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:22 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:47 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen lists combining points value and cash cost by brand. If i'm not mistaken, they were generated at www.pointimize.com. (In fact, there were screen shots of them on some blog titled best-value redemptions with 40k-limited IHG free night cert.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Any domestic "Destination City" is probably out unless way on the outskirts like maybe a HIX in Brooklyn somewhere(New York) or Livermore(SF Bay area) or Henderson(Las Vegas) or near the Airport type of stuff.

Let's be honest, compared to other cards, $49 for any Hotel was awesome, we all reaped the rewards, and now it's just like other cards,

The only list I've seen is the ones that don't qualify.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
IC Madrid is still available at 40,000 points.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by archstenton
Any domestic "Destination City" is probably out unless way on the outskirts like maybe a HIX in Brooklyn somewhere(New York) or Livermore(SF Bay area) or Henderson(Las Vegas) or near the Airport type of stuff.

Let's be honest, compared to other cards, $49 for any Hotel was awesome, we all reaped the rewards, and now it's just like other cards,

The only list I've seen is the ones that don't qualify.
Actually there are quite a few holiday inns still at 40k in downtown or lower east side of Manhattan & an express in midtown, not sure if they're on any not qualify lists??? But with usual room rates $200-300 IMHO that's still a really good deal... however, I agree do it was great while lasted and some really great rewards, like IC park lane, while it lasted but now it is what it is!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:34 am

This DoC post is helpful.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
Actually there are quite a few holiday inns still at 40k in downtown or lower east side of Manhattan & an express in midtown, not sure if they're on any not qualify lists??? But with usual room rates $200-300 IMHO that's still a really good deal... however, I agree do it was great while lasted and some really great rewards, like IC park lane, while it lasted but now it is what it is!
The are three hotels in Manhattan that require 40,000 points. Their location is not ideal, but at least they are in Manhattan. However I'm sure after the next devaluation they will require 50,000 points.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:51 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
The Holiday Inn Resort Aruba is at 40K per night and has very good availability for reward nights, you can find my detailed review from Jan 2017 in my profile, as I would definitely recommend it.

At the time I stayed it was 30K per night, but if you were to get the new IHG Premier card with the every 4th night free you would be spending only 120k on a 4-night stay and add in the free night before or after for a great 5-day deal (24k per night overall).

Last edited by Tony300S; Apr 24, 2018 at 10:05 am Reason: Added more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.