Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
A tradition of Kimpton is to have secret social passwords periodically during the year (note - this means there are periods when there isn't a password). Any guest mentioning the password at check-in will be given an amenity at the discretion of the hotel. This thread lists the current password and what members received.

Based on recent history, there is a winter password that starts around the US Thanksgiving Holiday in November through the end of February and a summer password that starts around the US Memorial Day Weekend in May and ends around the US Labor Day Holiday in September.

Current Password "Chalet All Day"
Valid Between 1 December 2023 and 29 February 2024

Official postings will come from Kimpton via social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and X (fka., Twitter).
The thread documenting what was offered in previous years may be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...rd-thread.html

Q. What happens if a property isn't aware of the secret password promotion?
A. If you have a mobile device, go to Kimpton's Facebook or Instagram feed, find their post announcing the secret password, and show it to the uninformed staff member. If needed, escalate to a supervisor. After the fact, send a note to IHG Customer Care or post a message via social media to Kimpton's attention.

Q. Is the promotion limited to IHG Rewards/IC Ambassador members only?
A. No, the promotion is open to any guest with a reservation at the hotel.

Q. Is the promotion good for award stays or is it only for paid stays?
A. The promotion is good for any stay, paid or award.

Q. What if I forget to mention the password when I check in?
A. You can always try and mention it at the front desk later during your stay and see if they will honor it. YMMV.

Older Post
November 2017 to December 2018
Print Wikipost

The Kimpton Hotels Secret Password Experience Thread (2019 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:17 pm

Kimpton Kitalay Samui - Turn down service
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Kimpton Fitzroy London - 1000 points. Posted within a day of check in.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Kimpton Clocktower Hotel (Manchester) - A box of clotted cream fudge. It's an either/or thing with something else (which I wasn't offered), but if I were to hazard a guess, it'll be the other flavour of fudge they have. Relatively big box for one - I'm not done eating with half and I'm two days in
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by greendx
This sounds very weak.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fims
This sounds very weak.
I've had 3 Kimpton stays in 2022 and they've all been very weak. No food in the hotel at all - any meal - and the most barebones wine reception in the evening, less than what you get at a typical Embassy Suites. Not quite Boones Farm but not far above it.

So I'm not surprised they've somewhat killed off the secret word too.

Two weeks ago I had a choice between a Kimpton and an HIX at approximately the same price and I chose the HIX for the better service and amenities.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've had 3 Kimpton stays in 2022 and they've all been very weak. No food in the hotel at all - any meal - and the most barebones wine reception in the evening, less than what you get at a typical Embassy Suites. Not quite Boones Farm but not far above it.
I've had wildly different experiences at various Kimpton's this year. I actually prefer that they are unique. I just learn to avoid the bad ones and reward the good ones. Kind of the same as InterContinental's and CP's, etc. Not to mention Marriott's, Hyatt's, etc.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by Smythmeister
Kimpton Fitzroy London - 1000 points. Posted within a day of check in.
Pretty meagre....

Kimpton Fitzroy London
Stayed during the Jubilee and mentioned the password.
Got a drinks voucher for ANY cocktail on the menu at Fitz bar for 2 persons.

Seems they were in the festive mood then or i just got lucky.....
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Pretty meagre....

Kimpton Fitzroy London
Stayed during the Jubilee and mentioned the password.
Got a drinks voucher for ANY cocktail on the menu at Fitz bar for 2 persons.

Seems they were in the festive mood then or i just got lucky.....
No mention of any other option for me, was there Thurs to Sun over the Jubilee. I was expecting 1000 points so was happy this time they actually posted!

I had a great experience this time as posted in the reviews thread.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:06 pm
jxd

Isn't turn down service a standard at kimpton kitalay?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Isn't turn down service a standard at kimpton kitalay?
Don't know. This was only my second Kimpton stay ever and I don't remember whether I received turndown the first time. It was a bit surprising to hear that this was the offer. Otherwise I liked the hotel.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:50 am
jxd

Don't know. This was only my second Kimpton stay ever and I don't remember whether I received turndown the first time. It was a bit surprising to hear that this was the offer. Otherwise I liked the hotel.
On booking sites, nightly turn down service is listed as one of the amenitites. Have a stay there next week, let's see if they'll do better.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by pinniped

So I'm not surprised they've somewhat killed off the secret word too.

Two weeks ago I had a choice between a Kimpton and an HIX at approximately the same price and I chose the HIX for the better service and amenities.
In the US, yes HIX or Staybridge suites are better than ICs. Rooms are anyway similar, breakfast has usually more options at HIX or Staybridge than at IC where you could just get egg or some not great pastries. At HIX or Staybridge usually there are some fruits, granola, yougurt etc options besides the egg and pastries. And Stabridges can be nice in the evenings as well.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fims
In the US, yes HIX or Staybridge suites are better than ICs. Rooms are anyway similar, breakfast has usually more options at HIX or Staybridge than at IC where you could just get egg or some not great pastries. At HIX or Staybridge usually there are some fruits, granola, yougurt etc options besides the egg and pastries. And Stabridges can be nice in the evenings as well.
What are you talking about? I'm laughing as I type this. Comparing an HIX to an IC? HIX serves dog food for breakfast. At least in the US they do. In Europe it would be illegal to feed that to humans. Nearly all IC's in the US and elsewhere have very, very nice breakfasts. With full menus. I will agree the IC Times Sq in New York has an awful breakfast, but none of the lesser IHG hotels in NYC have a good breakfast these days. And that IC does not own, nor manage the restaurant. The restaurants that IC manages are all quite nice.

And rooms are similar? I was upgraded to a 1500 sq foot, nicely equipped suite at the IC Boston last week. I've never seen anything like that at an HIX or Staybridge. Full standalone tub with a large walk in shower and his and hers sinks. Pray tell what HIX or Staybridge has that? And yes I have seen the entry level rooms at that IC and they too are far, far nicer than any HIX or Staybridge room.

I have not tried the Kimpton hotels in Thailand. But I have stayed at several in the US and they were all pretty good with decent service and exceptional elite treatment.
silverm0623 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
What are you talking about? I'm laughing as I type this. Comparing an HIX to an IC? HIX serves dog food for breakfast. At least in the US they do. In Europe it would be illegal to feed that to humans. Nearly all IC's in the US and elsewhere have very, very nice breakfasts. With full menus. I will agree the IC Times Sq in New York has an awful breakfast, but none of the lesser IHG hotels in NYC have a good breakfast these days. And that IC does not own, nor manage the restaurant. The restaurants that IC manages are all quite nice.

And rooms are similar? I was upgraded to a 1500 sq foot, nicely equipped suite at the IC Boston last week. I've never seen anything like that at an HIX or Staybridge. Full standalone tub with a large walk in shower and his and hers sinks. Pray tell what HIX or Staybridge has that? And yes I have seen the entry level rooms at that IC and they too are far, far nicer than any HIX or Staybridge room.

I have not tried the Kimpton hotels in Thailand. But I have stayed at several in the US and they were all pretty good with decent service and exceptional elite treatment.
I regret to say dog food would have been an excellent description of the included breakfast at the Intercontinental New Orleans last week complete with the “dog” begging for treats aka the omelette chef rattling his tip jar in your face before handing over the not well prepared eggs you asked for because the scrambled egg on the buffet was cold and inedible like everything else. (And the range of hot food in HIEX is more and their pastries/bread consists of a much wider choice).

The room may have been bigger but the functionality was smaller and the bathroom so dated. At least in HIEX I can walk into a clean shower.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
I regret to say dog food would have been an excellent description of the included breakfast at the Intercontinental New Orleans last week complete with the “dog” begging for treats aka the omelette chef rattling his tip jar in your face before handing over the not well prepared eggs you asked for because the scrambled egg on the buffet was cold and inedible like everything else. (And the range of hot food in HIEX is more and their pastries/bread consists of a much wider choice).

The room may have been bigger but the functionality was smaller and the bathroom so dated. At least in HIEX I can walk into a clean shower.
Another RA posted recently about the IC New Orleans having gone downhill. Maybe it needs to be deflagged. I stayed there about 5 years ago it was pretty good, but nowhere near the best IC in the US.

So yes, for the handful of IC's around the world that did not come out of the pandemic well, maybe strike those off the list. But the vast majority are in the class that they belong.
thegreatmrsj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.