Wiki Posts
Search

Best IC in Asia to use Ambassador cert?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Best IC in Asia to use Ambassador cert?

Any advice which IC around Asia is worth picking to use the BOGO cert at? No real restriction for location, as long as it is Asia (aside from Lhasa that requires China visa + special permit).

Not looking for a "paper value" (i.e. if a given IC itself isn't awesome, I see no point to stay there even if I get a "cheap" suite) and don't need to maximize absolute value as well (I do not need and would not normally book a suite anyway). I'm rather interested in a pleasant experience, preferably in either inspirational location or just any major Asian hub I actually love big cities and prefer them over remote spots (and having two nights cheaper than I would at best member rate, at least).

Important consideration: from what I saw with several ICs around here, I don't consider club level premium to be worth (unless the club is stunning). So while paying for a club level and been upgraded to suite may be an incredible value on paper, I'd rather book a cheapest room with Marriott and get a club for free

P. S. Properties with sky-high prices are off question, sadly, whatever amazing they are. So please do not advise me something like IC Osaka, IC Da Nang or IC Hong Kong. Perhaps I am ready to pay up to 200+ USD (for the first night) maximum and would be more comfortable with 100150 USD range.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:57 am

In Seoul IC Coex is attached to a mall. If you want that city experience.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
In Seoul IC Coex is attached to a mall. If you want that city experience.
I actually considered Seoul, as planned to visit it in summer anyway. However from some reviews and photos got an idea that both ICs there are rather dull and more of a typical business hotel. (May not apply to top level suites, but can't afford those anyway.)

Have you stayed there personally as Ambassador?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:33 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think with a budget of $100-150 total, you're not gonna make it very far -- you're probably looking at the likes of PNH, HAN, or if you're lucky, a low-priced weekend at Yokohama or Singapore. If you can stretch to $200, you can probably do Saigon or IC GS HK -- not really amazing hotels, and you probably won't get a club room or amazing suite.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I actually considered Seoul, as planned to visit it in summer anyway. However from some reviews and photos got an idea that both ICs there are rather dull and more of a typical business hotel. (May not apply to top level suites, but can't afford those anyway.)

Have you stayed there personally as Ambassador?
No. The problem is not all ICs are nice. Many are rather dull. The nice ones usually aren't cheap. $200 really isn't that much.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: NZ
You might want to think about IC KL
A standard room there should be within your budget
KL has the city appeal with great shopping and good food options at all ends of the $$$ spectrum, and sufficient local colour to be interesting.
I'm staying there in a couple of weeks in a Club room at about US$180, though it would be more with a BOGO certificate as you need to pay the flexible rate.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minz56
You might want to think about IC KL
A standard room there should be within your budget
KL has the city appeal with great shopping and good food options at all ends of the $$$ spectrum, and sufficient local colour to be interesting.
I'm staying there in a couple of weeks in a Club room at about US$180, though it would be more with a BOGO certificate as you need to pay the flexible rate.
I thought about it. In fact I have an upcoming night there in end of Jan (basic room), just to check how the hotel is and whether it's worth booking a weekend there, possibly at club level. It is very affordable, compared to other ICs in Asia. Possibly one of the cheapest ones (China aside, I haven't so far investigated options there aside from Shanghai and Beijing).

At the same time, KL has huge selection of hotels and it may be hard for me to justify paying BOGO price for IC club level, since there are several nice Marriott properties around with a club being given for free (with current points sale, 113 USD gets me a night in JW Marriott with guaranteed club and very likely upgrade for any date I want).

If you don't mind, please post a brief review or message me about your impression of IC KL in Club.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think with a budget of $100-150 total, you're not gonna make it very far -- you're probably looking at the likes of PNH, HAN, or if you're lucky, a low-priced weekend at Yokohama or Singapore.
The new IC in Hanoi is my current pick in fact, but I have doubts about location. Might have a chance to check it in Jan first, if I keep my booking with nearby JW.

Yokohama is possible technically, though my next visit to Japan is for sakura, which means chain hotels are ridiculously overpriced and cash booking make no sense even at lowest prepaid rates. It's sad BOGO cannot be used with points booking.
I don't like location of IC Singapore (the traditional one), while the brand new one seems to have boring rooms are less than stellar reviews.

Originally Posted by jpdx
you can probably do Saigon or IC GS HK -- not really amazing hotels
That's exactly the point. While I can justify 200 USD once in a blue moon for a really great hotel, I won't waste it for a boring ones.
Given a second night free I can go up to 200 USD in fact, but I would have high expectations LOL.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I just came back from IC KL using a BOGO and service was spectacular. I booked Club level and got upgraded to the Royal Suite. Personally, I prefer to book Club rooms with IC as that will usually get me a full breakfast as well as some booze in the evenings (at the KL you can take breakfast in the restaurant downstairs if you have lounge access, which I recommend). Since I'm often remote working when I go abroad, I place a high value on the unlimited coffee/tea/etc that lounge access provides, as well as it being a quiet alternative to my room for working during the middle of the day. Also, the staff in the lounge were super helpful and I appreciated not having to go down 30 floors to the lobby each time I wanted to sort something out.

I also look for the cheaper properties and KL shouldn't break the bank (I actually considered using the BOGO in Singapore but that was outside my price range). I'd definitely go back there again!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I just came back from IC KL using a BOGO and service was spectacular.
Thanks, a great review. Two points to ask: does this IC have nice views from lounge/rooms (I stayed in Element by Westin across the road from IC last time and the view was amazing) and what was the alcohol choice in the lounge (any decent whisky/cognac/champagne)?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Thanks, a great review. Two points to ask: does this IC have nice views from lounge/rooms (I stayed in Element by Westin across the road from IC last time and the view was amazing) and what was the alcohol choice in the lounge (any decent whisky/cognac/champagne)?
I don't think the view is a major factor but you are 26 floors up (the weather was a bit ropey when I stayed there so lots of cloud cover).

I stuck to white wine for drinks so can't comment on the other stuff. You could always drop them a line and ask!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:53 am

A few more ideas:
- Saigon: Good lokation in the center of the city, relatively easy to get to (lots of LCC flights), cheap Taxis (less than 10 US$ airport-hotel). good food. Check Visa requirement.
- Nha Trang: LCCs now from KL, HK directly to the CRX airport, 15 $ Taxi. Beach town, too many russian budget tourists but still nice. Hotel is very good.
- Shenzhen: Easy to get to from Hong Kong (Ferry/Taxi from HKG or subway from HK to border, then subway in Shenzhen directlyt to hotel). Visa on arrival possible.
All three places have restaurants, shopping in walking distance from the hotel.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
A few more ideas:
- Saigon: Good lokation in the center of the city, relatively easy to get to (lots of LCC flights), cheap Taxis (less than 10 US$ airport-hotel). good food. Check Visa requirement.
- Nha Trang: LCCs now from KL, HK directly to the CRX airport, 15 $ Taxi. Beach town, too many russian budget tourists but still nice. Hotel is very good.
- Shenzhen: Easy to get to from Hong Kong (Ferry/Taxi from HKG or subway from HK to border, then subway in Shenzhen directlyt to hotel). Visa on arrival possible.
All three places have restaurants, shopping in walking distance from the hotel.
I have two upcoming nights at IC Nha Trang in Jan (paid stay), so will be able to check the hotel. I'd rather be pleased to see Chinese tourists of the opposite gender than tourists of my nationality (I'm Russian myself, just don't live in Russia for years) LOL.

Have been to Saigon, location of IC is nice, no idea of the hotel itself. It is consistently more expensive than both ICs in Hanoi and at least from photos I can't justify that premium. I can ask to give me a tour though, I will be passing through Saigon after Nha Trang.

For Shenzhen, going and coming from HK plus a need for visa eliminate all possible benefit IMO. Guangzhou or Hainan would be easier, 72 hrs transit can be used and there are plenty of flights, but I hardly can imagine what to do or see there. IC Lijiang looks great, but it's a proper middle of nowhere and pain to go even from Kunming...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:17 am

I was also going to suggest Shenzhen. Your requirements are pretty high considering the low price point vs quality proposition, but you can get that for certain periods in Shenzhen.

You're right in the middle of all of their major "attractions" as well. Eye of the world, Overseas Chinese Town, etc. are all within a short walk. Shenzhen is a vibrant, modern, and MAJOR city filled with just about everything you could imagine aside from history. It was literally a "build it and they will come" city that went from fishing village to major metropolitan essentially by government decree. You'll find all of the good and bad of any major city there and it's not like they don't have their own airport.

If you go when the weather is warm, the pool is also pretty nice. Suffice it to say, if you do a little research I am sure you can find a TON to do in Shenzhen.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
Shenzhen is one of the weakest IC hotels in Asia IMO

If you will be in that area, I would just pay up to stay at IC HK or Grand Stanford, get some of the best service of any IHG hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.