Search

Fake Holiday Inn near Zhangzhou International Airport, China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
Smile

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Not the male eggs. Those come from roosters.
If there is a rooster, there are hens :-) No one is raising roosters alone, I assume. Called IHG headquarter and asked if Holiday Inn name is trademarked. It seems IHG does not have a way to resolve the issue. I learned to make reservations directly from the hotel's website by typing in the web address directly. Searching results in China are not very reliable, unfortunately.

Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions. Traveling is to seek adventure, good and bad and ugly and nusty and more. Just hope for going home in one piece :-)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Frank1993
If there is a rooster, there are hens :-) No one is raising roosters alone, I assume. Called IHG headquarter and asked if Holiday Inn name is trademarked. It seems IHG does not have a way to resolve the issue. I learned to make reservations directly from the hotel's website by typing in the web address directly. Searching results in China are not very reliable, unfortunately.

Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions. Traveling is to seek adventure, good and bad and ugly and nusty and more. Just hope for going home in one piece :-)
^

Good attitude to have while traveling, as there will always be surprises!

Safe Travels, Frank!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Definitely China is the Wild West - adventure guaranteed!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I can hear roster's calls at 3:30AM at the fake S&P Holiday Inn :-(
What is so wrong with that rooster?

The brand name "holiday Inn" is rather generic. As long as they don't use the logo but differentiate themselves by adding "S and P" I have doubts that even in a country different from China protection would work
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
They do indeed have fake eggs in China. I forget what they use specifically, but yes, they do have such a creation there.
There you go. Google you can find lots of Youtube video on the How To!

https://nextshark.com/tell-fake-eggs...ina-real-ones/

http://www.extracrispy.com/food/1126...oblem-in-india

http://www.theweek.in/features/socie...ke-kerala.html

Apparently the faked eggs are dumped to SE Asia and India, apart from also inside China.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

Food and people are still real. Guess when people are just wanting to make money, bad things happen. More laws!!!
There was a big scandal few years back that some restaurants produced a beef dish using the fake leather shoes...No, you should not trust food in China unless you are in an establishment that can be trusted.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by chongcao
There was a big scandal few years back that some restaurants produced a beef dish using the fake leather shoes...No, you should not trust food in China unless you are in an establishment that can be trusted.
There are 'fake' meats made for Monks for thousands of years. They are made of Tofu products and very good!!!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are 'fake' meats made for Monks for thousands of years. They are made of Tofu products and very good!!!

​​​​​​Besides soy based "mock" meats there are also gluten (flour) based versions
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

​​​​​​Besides soy based "mock" meats there are also gluten (flour) based versions.

These are mock vegetarian substitute which the consumer is aware of, and make a choice to partake unlike the "fakes"

Last edited by tentseller; Jul 24, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:13 am

Fake eggs, a chemical concoction that really looks like the real thing. Apparently it even fries up but the yolk breaks more easily than normal and there's a bad smell as you fry it.

Fake baby formula - This is particularly evil as China has a restrictive child policy. They mixed highly toxic melamine with baby formula. It will cause serious problems as a baby's low weight makes it highly susceptible to even a small amount of toxic substance.

Fake rice - I think it's some sort of plastic?

Fake bamboo shoots - Take a cheap disposable chopstick, soak it in some sort of chemical for like a day, and voila... Chop it up and throw it into dishes as bamboo shoots. Apparently it does taste similar.

Fake oil - Take oil from grease traps, old restaurant fryer oil, slaughterhouse waste, sewage, and sewer drains. Filter and refine, and voila! Cooking oil! Called "gutter oil" because some of it literally is refined from oil collected in gutters.

I'm sure there are more, these are the only ones that I can remember at the moment. Been living in Asia for 4 years now, and these are absolutely and horrifyingly real... so... food is NOT necessarily real, and people... they're working on that too.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:12 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by baroqen
Fake baby formula - This is particularly evil as China has a restrictive child policy. They mixed highly toxic melamine with baby formula. It will cause serious problems as a baby's low weight makes it highly susceptible to even a small amount of toxic substance.
And, the punchline was: at least none of the babies caught on fire. (For those nor familar with melamine, it can be used as a fire retardant.)

Also, gel caps for medicine or vitamins made from industrial waste-the factory owner burned his factory and computer system (with all the customer names,) as the authorities moved in. Must not have been a friend of Xi.

Yoghurt made with industrial waste, Carrefour (a French grocery company) couldn't return them so they bundled them in 3 for 1 deals. People still bought them.

My favorite Chinese factory is Yieh Phui (yes, pronounced yeah phooey,) plant just south of the Sutong Bridge. Says it all.

Anytime that quantity over quality is the attitude, you will get this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've had fake Coca-Cola in China

My dad is a lawyer and used to work in intellectual property in China. There are counterfeit batteries, razors, toothbrushes, water...anything can be faked in China.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Wow. Is anything real in China?
The pollution.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
They do indeed have fake eggs in China. I forget what they use specifically, but yes, they do have such a creation there.
The big scandal was thousand year old eggs. Produced with improper chemicals to make it go faster--not hazardous if you didn't eat too many of them.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The pollution.
So true. When I lived in China, I found all the fakes quite entertaining. Just remember, it's China, expect everything to be fake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.