Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Hotels in Washington DC - At Which One Should I Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I am looking at hotels in DC and just noticed the Kimpton Banneker Hotel for the first time. The pictures of it look nice, the location is ideal and it doesn't cost many points, but I see zero fanfare about it (not even a dedicated Flyertalk thread).

It looks like it was formerly the Kimpton Rouge (which I was unimpressed by) but now redone. Has anyone stayed here yet? It looks promising, but I'm afraid that it has the same bones as the Rouge.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
I am looking at hotels in DC and just noticed the Kimpton Banneker Hotel for the first time. The pictures of it look nice, the location is ideal and it doesn't cost many points, but I see zero fanfare about it (not even a dedicated Flyertalk thread).

It looks like it was formerly the Kimpton Rouge (which I was unimpressed by) but now redone. Has anyone stayed here yet? It looks promising, but I'm afraid that it has the same bones as the Rouge.
Im curious about this hotel, too. Is it the only Kimpton besides the Monaco now?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im curious about this hotel, too. Is it the only Kimpton besides the Monaco now?
There’s also the George, but the location for that is generally less than ideal

As someone who frequently stayed at the Palomar, Donovan and Mason & Rook before the pandemic, it’s been very disheartening to see Kimpton’s footprint shrink so much in DC
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by dw
There’s also the George, but the location for that is generally less than ideal

As someone who frequently stayed at the Palomar, Donovan and Mason & Rook before the pandemic, it’s been very disheartening to see Kimpton’s footprint shrink so much in DC
Miss those Kimpton properties and the Lorien in Alexandria, when it was a Kimpton.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
We are possibly planning a trip to D.C. next September. Anyone have any updates on the best Kimpton now? Looks like choices are now the George (which I think we stayed at in 2015?), Monaco, or Banneker. Like the poster above, I noted that the Banneker is significantly cheaper in both points and dollars so I'm wondering if there is a reason for that.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ostatekitty
We are possibly planning a trip to D.C. next September. Anyone have any updates on the best Kimpton now? Looks like choices are now the George (which I think we stayed at in 2015?), Monaco, or Banneker. Like the poster above, I noted that the Banneker is significantly cheaper in both points and dollars so I'm wondering if there is a reason for that.
I can’t speak to the quality of the accommodations at the Banneker, but I imagine there are several factors:
  • The Monaco is in a truly historic building that’s in the heart of Penn Quarter, literally across the street from the Capitol One Arena and Jose Andres’ Jaleo restaurant, plus very close to numerous other dining & drinking options.
  • The George is super close to Union Station & the Capitol.
  • The Banneker is less central, although it’s an easy walk to Dupont or Logan Circle for bars & restaurants. It’s not in downtown per se and is less convenient to Metro, but it’s hardly out in the sticks, either.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:38 am

FYI, I now have written confirmation from all three DC Kimptons that they waive their amenity fees on award stays. See Amenity fees/award stays: hotels that do & don’t waive (Mid-Atlantic: DC, Phila.)
COLINDAD and ProjectSunburst like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
FYI, I now have written confirmation from all three DC Kimptons that they waive their amenity fees on award stays. See Amenity fees/award stays: hotels that do & don’t waive (Mid-Atlantic: DC, Phila.)
That is great news as I had thought it was due to my Platinum/Diamond status as I never had to pay a destination fee on an award stay at the Monaco; however, others may have had different experiences at the Banneker. It is good that this may no longer be the case.

Last edited by COLINDAD; Jan 21, 2024 at 7:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.