FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New RA qualifying criteria based on IC Revenue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1772309-new-ra-qualifying-criteria-based-ic-revenue.html)

Tim O'Brien Jan 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 27799686)
I looked in shop window 10days ago in Thailand as saw all the 20cl 1/4 bottles for sale and just wanted to be nosey on prices, although obviously the IC buy in both bulk quantities and at wholesale prices.
(A bit like in Berlin i see 5cl whisky/vodka/rum minatures at 2-3euro in a supermarket, Brandy a little more)

20cl Thailand retail cost
vodka/rum was priced 220-250bt
Chivas Regal was priced 370Bt
Henesy Brandy wa priced 700Bt

I used to mainly drink beer 5years ago, but these days go for mostly the spirits+mixers , Absolute Vodka and Chivas Regal. Maybe 1.5 - 2.0 quarter bottles per day on average at IC Bangkok on the nights I have a drink, thats just 3 doubles after all.

so for those wanting to drink in excess of the stipend, about USD 8-10 per 20cl bottles, as long as they're stacking the right champagne^

htb Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 27798232)
Samui limits the consumption to 6 per stay they are outside the minibar as at the Amstel they can do as they like. The T&C's are clear in respect of minibar consumption not stuff outside the minibar.

How do you define "outside the minibar"?

"Minibar", for me, is the concept of having a mini bar inside my hotel room. "Minibar" does not mean "fridge". Just placing items outside the fridge doesn't mean they are "outside the minibar".

In Korea I had a notice in the bathroom advising me that I could buy toothbrush and paste from the minibar (some law is barring them from providing disposable toothbrushes). Of course they didn't place the item inside the fridge.

HTB.

Land-of-Miles Jan 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by htb (Post 27806479)
How do you define "outside the minibar"?

"Minibar", for me, is the concept of having a mini bar inside my hotel room. "Minibar" does not mean "fridge". Just placing items outside the fridge doesn't mean they are "outside the minibar".

In Korea I had a notice in the bathroom advising me that I could buy toothbrush and paste from the minibar (some law is barring them from providing disposable toothbrushes). Of course they didn't place the item inside the fridge.

HTB.

As I understand it any items outside the actual fridge are only allowed free of charge to RA's at the discretion of the property. Technically that includes red wine quite often.

Tim O'Brien Jan 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 27806865)
As I understand it any items outside the actual fridge are only allowed free of charge to RA's at the discretion of the property. Technically that includes red wine quite often.

i've never been asked to pay for red wine, as far as i'm concerend, all beverages are covered, whether refrigerated or not, and the snacks, whether refrigerated or not, are not included, that's what the T&C state, Beverages^

some properties are generous and include the snacks, they may not have received the memo a few years ago.

Pseudo Nim Jan 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien (Post 27807360)
i've never been asked to pay for red wine, as far as i'm concerend, all beverages are covered, whether refrigerated or not, and the snacks, whether refrigerated or not, are notincluded, that's what the T&C state, Beverages^

some properties are generous and include the snacks, they may not have received the memo a few years ago.

I've literally never seen a property that gives free snacks for some reason, but on the flipside, they've never reeeeeeeeeeeeally charged for them either.

But I'd be all up in arms if they charged for a beverage "outside" the minibar.

We're all being really rather petty here btw, considering we're the top 1% or whatever. :rolleyes:

Tim O'Brien Jan 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27807386)
I've literally never seen a property that gives free snacks for some reason, but on the flipside, they've never reeeeeeeeeeeeally charged for them either.

But I'd be all up in arms if they charged for a beverage "outside" the minibar.

We're all being really rather petty here btw, considering we're the top 1% or whatever. :rolleyes:

the snacks were included in the benefit, up until a few years back.

and even since the reduction in benefit, i tend to avoid them, but i've never been charged for snacks.

markis10 Jan 24, 2017 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien (Post 27807877)
the snacks were included in the benefit, up until a few years back.

Minibar snacks have never been part of the benefits mandated in the terms and conditions, although many hotels have offered them or simply not charged as far back as 2004 according to various threads.

Tim O'Brien Jan 24, 2017 1:01 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 27808931)
Minibar snacks have never been part of the benefits mandated in the terms and conditions, although many hotels have offered them or simply not charged as far back as 2004 according to various threads.

my recollection over the years was the benefit never stipulated beverages exclusively, but stated "Mini Bar" i may be wrong, but for sure no items, beverages, nor snacks were charged for years at all the properties i visited.

some of the long term RA's may recall their experiences?

it's never been a property, ot T&C issue for me, i've never been charged for either.

Chinatrvl Jan 24, 2017 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien (Post 27809012)
my recollection over the years was the benefit never stipulated beverages exclusively, but stated "Mini Bar" i may be wrong, but for sure no items, beverages, nor snacks were charged for years at all the properties i visited.

it's never been a property, ot T&C issue for me, i've nveer been charged for either.

As far as I recollect, years ago (more than five, probably) the terms changed to
- beverages only (some hotels haven't been enforcing it. I also remember some hotels playing tricks before that, like excluding alcoholic beverages)
- in-room consumption only.

I even recall getting free travel adaptors, USB drives among others from "mini-bars".

The current "beverage only" clause is certainly not new.

turner32 Jan 24, 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
I was told today that they now apply a certain algorithm to judge over individual cases. From pulling together all information I received it is something similar to

EQP * IC Nights
-—--------------------------- = personal qualification score
Top 10% average IC nights

They will compare your personal qualification score against a set value. If your score is better, you will qualify. Even if this appears to be somehow transparent, the opaque number still is the average number of IC nights, the top 10% (clearance not one percent) do stay with IC. The algorithm take in both, general group turnover and IC nights.
so top 10% of IC spend, we knew spend, now possibly "small %" is ""10%, if correct?

Have we managed to determine whether or not HI, HIX, CP spend will aid re-qualification?

johhenrik Jan 24, 2017 7:51 am

Originally Posted by turner32 (Post 27809841)
Have we managed to determine whether or not HI, HIX, CP spend will aid re-qualification?

Nope, it's not known yet.

markis10 Jan 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien (Post 27809012)

it's never been a property, ot T&C issue for me, i've nveer been charged for either.

2006 was definitely drinks only when I first became RA.

Pseudo Nim Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by johhenrik (Post 27810010)
Nope, it's not known yet.

However, the informal guidance I got from my IHG contact was "focus on your IC spend, this is what matters". So I'm doing exactly that now.

johhenrik Jan 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27812129)
However, the informal guidance I got from my IHG contact was "focus on your IC spend, this is what matters". So I'm doing exactly that now.

How? Are you booking higher category rooms now?

Pseudo Nim Jan 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by johhenrik (Post 27812290)
How? Are you booking higher category rooms now?

Yup, and also no longer caring about the other properties. This is probably going to have an odd effect on my IHG bookings - whereas before if there was a HI, I'd likely consider booking there over my other secondary chains unless it was a total dump, but now fortunately I won't bother anymore. We'll see where it gets me end of year.... but my personal plan is to almost-double my IC spend (try to hit an arbitrary goal of 15K or so) and not worry about the other IHG properties at all.