Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with IHG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Disappointed with IHG

I bought 7 nights points and cash on Monday for a future stay.
On Thursday the cash amount needed was lowered.
I contacted IHG to get a credit for the difference.
I did not get anywhere.
I submitted a IHG BRG explaining I just wanted the difference refunded.
I was told BRG does not apply to their own website and does not apply to cash + points.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:11 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Rebook, then cancel the original.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I would assume that OP does not have enough points to rebook, since they booked on points and cash to start with. Additionally, even if you cancel the points&cash booking, they don't refund your *money*, they refund your points.

OP, are you sure you weren't looking at different tiers of cash&points? There's one that lets you buy 5000 points, and another that lets you buy 10000.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

If I cancel I lose the cash but if I understand right I will get 15000 points back.
I used 5000 points plus cash. The new cash amount is with the same 5000 points + cash.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anngi
If I cancel I lose the cash but if I understand right I will get 15000 points back.
I used 5000 points plus cash. The new cash amount is with the same 5000 points + cash.
If the hotel costs 15,000 a nights for a redemption booking, then you will get 15,000 a night back if you cancel

You will not get any cash back. The amount spent on the cash element is a purchase of the additional points needed a reward booking
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

That's what I thought so canceling the reservation doesn't change that the cash part is now lower than what I paid.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Absolutely no chance of getting your money back, in order to book again at the lower rate. You bought points when you bought them. Even though IHG makes it look like a Points + Cash reservation you actually just bought points in order to make an award booking. The fact that the price is now temporarily reduced is irrelevant, if painful.

Sorry... bad timing... No real reason to be disappointed with IHG.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Disappointed that they will match other websites better prices but not their own.
Pretty stupid business practice to piss off rewards members. Doesn't make for good will.
Venting helps and taking business to other chains does too.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:34 pm

Disappointed that they will match other websites better prices but not their own.
Pretty stupid business practice to piss off rewards members. Doesn't make for good will.
Venting helps and taking business to other chains does too.
But the effective price has not changed - 15,000 points then, 15,000 now

Were you happy with the price you paid when you paid it?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: IHG PlatAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the hotel costs 15,000 a nights for a redemption booking, then you will get 15,000 a night back if you cancel

You will not get any cash back. The amount spent on the cash element is a purchase of the additional points needed a reward booking
^^this. You agree to the per point cost when you purchase the rate. They recently have promotions at 'some' hotels with lower per point cost. You could technically game the system and buy one of these lower points+cash rates, cancel, then rebook at a points only rate at a hotel without the promotion. I have seen some pretty large discounts down to about 0.50 per point at some hotels in Europe, anyone seen anything lower? Keep in mind I believe you a limited to how many points+cash rates you cancel within a certain time period.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by warrenslo
^^this. You agree to the per point cost when you purchase the rate. They recently have promotions at 'some' hotels with lower per point cost. You could technically game the system and buy one of these lower points+cash rates, cancel, then rebook at a points only rate at a hotel without the promotion. I have seen some pretty large discounts down to about 0.50 per point at some hotels in Europe, anyone seen anything lower? Keep in mind I believe you a limited to how many points+cash rates you cancel within a certain time period.
Can you tell me where there is a limit on the number of cash plus points you can cancel? just curios as I recently did that, i booked a cheaper one and the canceled to use the points at a larger priced one, it was only 2 nights but i was planning on doing it again so i can get ambassador for $153 instead of $200 so just want to make sure i am not going to get blackballed from booking points plus cash in the future
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Can you tell me where there is a limit on the number of cash plus points you can cancel? just curios as I recently did that, i booked a cheaper one and the canceled to use the points at a larger priced one, it was only 2 nights but i was planning on doing it again so i can get ambassador for $153 instead of $200 so just want to make sure i am not going to get blackballed from booking points plus cash in the future
There is a daily limit as noted in the T&Cs:

15.IHG® Rewards Club "Points & Cash" is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem IHG® Rewards Club points for a Reward Night by using your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night or using your existing points and purchasing additional points in various increments to total the required points. The total purchase on any single day may not exceed $280USD. Points & Cash Reward Nights may only be redeemed online at www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. You must use a valid credit card for points purchase. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to the credit card you specified. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with Reward Nights terms and conditions and with each hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased IHG® Rewards Club points will be re-deposited into your IHG® Rewards Club account. Cash components of this award that are paid in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by IHG® Rewards Club, as needed, to reflect the USD equivalent of the non-USD payment at that time. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply.

If a member does it too often, IHG can interpret that you had no intention of booking a reward night but were using this method to purchase points at a discounted rate. This could be considered a violation of the T&Cs and there may be significant consequences.

mxm135
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MXM135
There is a daily limit as noted in the T&Cs:

15.IHG® Rewards Club "Points & Cash" is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem IHG® Rewards Club points for a Reward Night by using your existing points for all required points for the desired Reward Night or using your existing points and purchasing additional points in various increments to total the required points. The total purchase on any single day may not exceed $280USD. Points & Cash Reward Nights may only be redeemed online at www.ihgrewardsclub.com. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. You must use a valid credit card for points purchase. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount will be immediately charged to the credit card you specified. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with Reward Nights terms and conditions and with each hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased IHG® Rewards Club points will be re-deposited into your IHG® Rewards Club account. Cash components of this award that are paid in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by IHG® Rewards Club, as needed, to reflect the USD equivalent of the non-USD payment at that time. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply.

If a member does it too often, IHG can interpret that you had no intention of booking a reward night but were using this method to purchase points at a discounted rate. This could be considered a violation of the T&Cs and there may be significant consequences.

mxm135
OK Thanks.

I think I am good so far as I only have that one points plus cash booking and cancellation. Previously I have cancelled cash bookings and points only booking but only have that one points plus cash.
In that case I will probably try to do the 3 nights for the 153 and hope for the best.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But the effective price has not changed - 15,000 points then, 15,000 now

Were you happy with the price you paid when you paid it?

The price was okay when I bought it but I was unhappy when it went down.
I did not realize the price on cash and points can go down.
I am sure I am not alone in not knowing the cash amount could go down.
I knew about canceling and getting 15000 points and trying to game the system which many blogs talk about. I just thought if I contacted them they would make the simple credit as it was only 4 days between and it hadn't even hit the IHG credit card.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:29 pm

The price was okay when I bought it but I was unhappy when it went down.
I did not realize the price on cash and points can go down.
I am sure I am not alone in not knowing the cash amount could go down.
I knew about canceling and getting 15000 points and trying to game the system which many blogs talk about. I just thought if I contacted them they would make the simple credit as it was only 4 days between and it hadn't even hit the IHG credit card.
You purchased points at a rate you were happy at - best thing to do then is not to keep checking the prices afterwards if price drops may be upsetting

Why would you expect the company to cancel a miles purchase ? 4 days is quite a long while after making the purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.