Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador Free Night Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I will be staying this weekend on the Ambassador Free Weekend rate in Austin. When I booked a few weeks ago, the rate was about $800 total, with each night being $400. Now, the rate is about $160 less, with Friday dropping to $220 and Saturday increasing to $420. Everything I see as far as rules says I pay for the first night, so I am wondering if it is worth calling to change rates (or canceling and rebooking), or will they just charge me for the more expensive of the nights anyway so it doesn't matter. Everything I read says to change, but it almost seems too good to be true.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
You do in fact pay for the first night of the two night stay. It says so right in the IHG terms and conditions. So you should definitely take advantage.

Save yourself the frustration and don't bother calling IHG. I would book it again with the lower rate. Once everything is confirmed, cancel the other reservation.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Yeah definitely just cancel and rebook that is a no brainer. Your original reservation should be free cancellation as well.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:18 am

Huh. I've been Ambassador for three years and never thought to check this. Oh well. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:20 am

Nothing wrong with making a new booking. That is the advantage of booking a best flex rate. The savings with such certificate can really add up at a nice hotel.

Last edited by 336; Dec 20, 2015 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Huh. I've been Ambassador for three years and never thought to check this. Oh well. Thanks for the tip.
I never, ever thought to check this either. Can't believe OP is getting the $400 night free- I congratulate them!! Just got my new BOGO. Will definitely check this out next time.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I have a booking in a few weeks with the IC Times Square. Been checking for price drops for a while, then as soon as the price drops, there's no ambassador free night availability. I'll prob head over the road and stay at the Hilton instead.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by chistery
I have a booking in a few weeks with the IC Times Square. Been checking for price drops for a while, then as soon as the price drops, there's no ambassador free night availability. I'll prob head over the road and stay at the Hilton instead.
maybe an alternative

https://www.autoslash.com/hotels
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Luckily the AMBWeekend rate was available still. I did make the mistake of calling which was a little painful but all worked out well in the end. Next time, I will just rebook online and cancel the old one as recommended. Glad it looks like I turned on a few more people to checking rates before heading out to see if they dropped. I hope it all works out as well for everyone else as it did for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.