Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood/IHG merger

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Starwood/IHG merger

Hmm, interesting
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Light reading: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...fits-rise.html
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
No deal

The hotel giant had been in early discussions with UK-based IHG about a merger that would create the world’s largest hotel group, the FT reported earlier.

Those talks have ended, according to a source familiar with the situation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtou...ihg-talks-end/
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'm not sure how this would benefit either. A better option would be for IHG or Starwood to purchase the Rezidor Group (Club Carlson). As they have a weak presence in North and South America (unlike IHG and Starwood), but a good presence in Europe/Asia/ME.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm not sure how this would benefit either. A better option would be for IHG or Starwood to purchase the Rezidor Group (Club Carlson). As they have a weak presence in North and South America (unlike IHG and Starwood), but a good presence in Europe/Asia/ME.
But apparently the other program that Starwood is currently eyeing is WyndhamRewards. Earning SPG Plat status with 50 nights at $40 Super 8 motels, that sounds like a winner to me!

See, Starwood is desperate to have midscale hotels, and Club Carlson doesn't give it much (only a relatively modest number of Country Inns & Suites), while IHG would give it HI and HIX, and WyndhamRewards would give it Wingate by Wyndham and Microtel and Baymont Inn & Suites, and that's probably still not the whole list of WR midscale brands. (WR also has many budget bradns, of course.)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:09 pm

So, should we be getting rid of our starwood points ?

The best thing they have going for the points is the auction and the 5000 bonus to any airline.
The Hotel redemption is nice too, but that may not be around this time next year.
And what of the SPG amx.

I know don't panic yet. (I'm kind of sorry I saw this)

Last edited by mech11; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
SPG hotel redemption rates are often absurdly poor value for points. It may well be this deal will resurface. If Starwood approached IHG to acquire them it is unsurprising they were rebuffed, a reverse approach with PE/VC backing may well create a more compelling deal. Certainly Starwood would help fill out IHG's middle to upper market weak spot and drop a stronger brand like Sheraton in place of the weaker CP.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
If Starwood approached IHG to acquire them it is unsurprising they were rebuffed
Actually, it is supposed to be the other way round (IHG bying Starwood)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Actually, it is supposed to be the other way round (IHG bying Starwood)
Well I think that would be the better fit but I am not sure that is the approach that Starwood made is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.