Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London 'The O2' - opens 2016 (Pre Opening Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
IC London 'The O2' - opens 2016 (Pre Opening Master Thread)

I've only just relised there is going to be a new InterContinental in London.

Called 'The O2' based on its location

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...ic/hoteldetail

It would appear bookings are now being taken from March 2016 onwards.
Rates appear to be matching the IC Park Lane.

It will have a Club Lounge, but no details on how much the daily rate for entry will be.

Its ok if you are in the area for a concert, but otherwise the location is quite poor for visiting London.

Lets see if this one lasts longer than the IC at Westminister
Old May 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

This should be good!
Hopefully it will last long as I like going to the o2
Old May 31, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very strange. Wrong side of the river for easy access to Canary Wharf. Although of course there is the Underground half a kilometre away. But you might as well stay more central if you need to take the tube anyhow...

Useless for tourism purposes. Wrong brand / price point IMO for O2 concert overnights (apart maybe from the acts themselves).

I guess they will try to make it as a conference / large meeting hotel. But I'd be surprised if it stayed an IC for long...
Old May 31, 2015, 10:00 am

452 rooms so it's going to be a big hotel. Stratford City is only a few minutes on the tube and there are tons of offices there so it should be quite popular. My work HQ is at Stratford, the HI and SBS are good but this will be a good alternative.

You get a good view of it from the Emirates Air Line.

Here is the press release http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=116&NewsID=3047
Old May 31, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Very strange. Wrong side of the river for easy access to Canary Wharf. Although of course there is the Underground half a kilometre away. But you might as well stay more central if you need to take the tube anyhow...

Useless for tourism purposes. Wrong brand / price point IMO for O2 concert overnights (apart maybe from the acts themselves).

I guess they will try to make it as a conference / large meeting hotel. But I'd be surprised if it stayed an IC for long...
400m to the tube and 1 stop to Canary Wharf is useless? I know a lot of people periodically working in the wharf staying at much less convenient locations than that.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Radisson at New Providence Wharf seems to do well and that is a shocking location. 450 rooms is a shocker, though. If 100 of those were Club you would have a lounge busier than many boutique hotels!
Old May 31, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
The Radisson at New Providence Wharf seems to do well and that is a shocking location. 450 rooms is a shocker, though. If 100 of those were Club you would have a lounge busier than many boutique hotels!
IC PL has 447 rooms, and the lounge rarely seems busy (Mary Kay conventions aside )
Old May 31, 2015, 5:04 pm

There is a little more information on the even companies sites regarding the hotel along with some artists impressions which look quite good.

18 stories high
50 suites
30 meeting rooms
4000 meter sq of meeting space

http://www.cvent.com/rfp/london-hote...px?tab=gallery
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
IC PL has 447 rooms, and the lounge rarely seems busy (Mary Kay conventions aside )
There is a bit more going on around Park Lane vs Greenwich Peninsula though!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
400m to the tube and 1 stop to Canary Wharf is useless? I know a lot of people periodically working in the wharf staying at much less convenient locations than that.
I said useless for tourism purposes. North Greenwich is a long way from most tourist highlights in London and there's not much around locally.

As for Canary Wharf, it's perfectly fine for many to be one tube stop away. But most people paying the kind of rates an IC charges probably want to grab a taxi instead of squeezing onto public transport, so the wrong side of the river is a problem.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I said useless for tourism purposes. North Greenwich is a long way from most tourist highlights in London and there's not much around locally.

As for Canary Wharf, it's perfectly fine for many to be one tube stop away. But most people paying the kind of rates an IC charges probably want to grab a taxi instead of squeezing onto public transport, so the wrong side of the river is a problem.
I think that will very much depend on the rates. I think that at under £200 a night for a basic room in the week they will find many takers versus the closer to £300 average in the Wharf. I could see rates at the weekend to be higher than the wharf properties for event weekends at the O2.

For tourist London you need to take transport to get around there is no one perfect location for London tourism. With that in mind the Jubilee and DLR centricity of the wharf has always been a good option for those willing to take a tube or boat given the spine of sights and high quality shopping within easy reach of the Jubilee. With a circa £200 a night difference in like for like accommodation between the wharf and prime west end in tourist season, there is a lot to be said for a stay East of Centre. Just as I tend to stick with the IC Times Square in NYC rather than the better located St Regis.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:33 pm

Excel is just over four miles away which isn't an unacceptable distance in a taxi or a quick change onto the DLR at Canning Town.

I can't see the location being as much of an issue as some may think given the transport links to and from the area, as Raffles said the Radisson is in a much poorer location and seems to do ok.

With CW one stop away and Stratford in the opposite direction there is potential. The number of offices that are now at Stratford is scary.

Last edited by chrism20; Jun 2, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Is anyone having any luck seeing IC BOGO availability for this hotel yet?

Been looking end Fed / early March 2016 and nada.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
Excel is just over four miles away which isn't an unacceptable distance in a taxi or a quick change onto the DLR at Canning Town.
There's the Emirates Air line too.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Reservations are now being taken for dates from December 19th 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.