Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by iahphx
Jeez, this morning I was thinking of booking Bali for a couple nights but it wasn't live. I tried again, but still not live, so I moved on to other things.

And then it seems to have gone "poof" almost immediately! If you look at the chart, it's pretty much zeroed out for the entire promo period.

I guess the hotel can decide how much inventory to offer?

The silly thing is that this is a good deal, but not a great deal. I wasn't even sure I was going to use it. If you're willing to stay away from chain hotels, you can probably get better value than 5000 IHG points on better places to stay. Heck, even this particular hotel is going for less than $100 night, and you might find a good promo to juice.
I'd guess they only offered 10 rooms per day, or less. They still show plenty of inventory for sale. I booked my first one within 60 seconds of it being live, and couldn't get the same dates for my second room.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:06 pm
SBT

Booking Point Break Reservation

IHG states you are only allowed to book two point break reservations for a specific property. Do you know if anything happens if you book three on different dates?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:25 pm

somebody posted this earlier and it is either not true or not enforced

Last edited by saint77; Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 am
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by saint77
somebody posted this earlier and it is either not true or not enforced
It is true - added to T&Cs last year.
Nothing stopping you breaching the T&Cs of course but if audited/discovered, IHG may ban your account & you'll forfeit any accumulated points/bookings/status.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:43 am

I am sure there is a strategy at IHG to ban members for not studiously following the fine print for PBs

Last edited by saint77; Oct 27, 2015 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by saint77
I am sure there is a strategy at IHG to ban all their RAs for not studiously following the fine print for PBs
Well (at least by my logic) - properties get featured as PBs because they're flailing, consistently under capacity, etc... Wouldn't IHG be happy that their highest-revenue customers are staying at these properties as much as possible, at least in terms of residual spend (bars, room service, etc.)?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SBT
IHG states you are only allowed to book two point break reservations for a specific property. Do you know if anything happens if you book three on different dates?
A report from China states a member was suspended after booking three stays in one of the PB hotels earlier this year. The said member stated himself in a forum, so can not be verified.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by chongcao
A report from China states a member was suspended after booking three stays in one of the PB hotels earlier this year. The said member stated himself in a forum, so can not be verified.
Just to clarify, Is it for each hotel, we can not make 2 PB bookings or is it for all hotels? Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Just to clarify, Is it for each hotel, we can not make 2 PB bookings or is it for all hotels? Thanks!
Only 2 bookings in the same hotel allowed. No limit on how many hotels you can book but they may not like it if you book two different hotels in the same time from one account.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
I got two PB nights at the same property on the same night...should count as my two.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, Le Club des Actionnaires

The silly thing is that this is a good deal, but not a great deal. I wasn't even sure I was going to use it. If you're willing to stay away from chain hotels, you can probably get better value than 5000 IHG points on better places to stay. Heck, even this particular hotel is going for less than $100 night, and you might find a good promo to juice.
100 $ for 5000 points is a great value to me. This is a new seaside resort, not something you see on every list. Good spot for a family vacation.

There are properties where the BAR might seem to offer a greater saving. BUT my saving is only what I would be willing to pay for that stay if there was no point break. Quite often, due to the travel involved, that is less than zero.

Your circumstances may be different, and so you would value these stays differently. My point, that is borne out by the actual speed of booking, is that the deal is great for many people.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The net cost in points if you have the Credit Card is 4000 points (after the welcome points + credit card rebate). For me saving $100 for 4000 is more than worth it - IF, and that is a big IF, I need to be in the area already, or taking a short detour. It was never worth a complete new trip just to stay in the discounted room.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I am in for a night each in Omaha, Kansas, and Missouri all next week. Fit my plans perfectly.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

Kentucky

FYI: Three of the Kentucky Point Breaks (Frankfort, Shelbyville, and Louisville-Hurstbourne) are very close to the Bourbon distilleries. You could piece together an excellent Bourbon Trail itinerary using those hotels.

http://kybourbontrail.com
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Not really my list this time around, but as usual I could find 1 night to avail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.