Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kailua-Kona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the comments, Ian and TeflonMan!

I like that they have suites available that can sleep more then four for a slight upcharge, the other chains don't seem to have that.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

WiFi does not work at all; Smoker's paradise

We stayed a few nights here.
Pros:
1. Location is great for Kona.
Much easier to start the drive to volcanoes national park from here than from the resorts.

2. The actual room/suite was decent looking and clean for a 2-star property.

3. Free breakfast for all:
Meat-based proteins
Cereal (raisin bran, cornflakes, special K strawberry)
Oat meal
Bread / bagels
Eggs
Juice
Coffee / decaf / teas

4. Our room had a Keurig with some coffee pods. You have to buy your own water.

Cons:
1. WiFi was unusable during our whole stay. (some reviews on T.A. have similar comments). If you actually have to "work" in Kona and you need WiFi, then this is not your hotel.
I wish I had somehow known this before. ….

2. Seems to be a shortage of house keeping staff. Our room was not cleaned even until 3PM on some days. (even though we requested them to clean it each day by 9AM).

3. I have never seen so many smokers in one hotel before.!! LOL!! The spot just outside the front entrance is the smoker's congregation.
We could see 5 to 10 people smoking there at any given time of the day we exited / entered the hotel (from 6AM through 8PM).
Therefore, if you have rooms such as # 112, 212, 312 = Then, the smoke will directly be coming in to your room (if you open the window).

4. In the parking lot directly across the hotel (outside hotel property) - We felt people were smoking stuff other than tobacco.
This is the overflow parking lot in case the hotel lot is full.
The hotel parking gets full quickly..

5. Yes, the hotel needs to provide better directions. It is better to come in from Kuakini Hwy and turn right on Sarona Drive. That will put you straight in to the hotel (on your left).

There is really not much choice of better properties in Kona (maybe the Courtyard). However, I feel Kona is a better location to be in ….especially if you only have a few days and want to see as many sights as possible.

So, if you plan to just sleep / shower in your room and then be outside all day - then, this is the right hotel for you!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'll be staying here in a few days using my Chase FNAs, as well as next year.

If anyone planning to stay here I recommend booking as early as possible (revenues or points wise), I booked almost 1 year ahead (Memorial weekend next year) with "Advance Saver Member Exclusive" around $166 after tax plus a few nights with points and now (just a few days later) the same rates are as much as $300 after tax certain nights and some are no longer available with points. Maybe the prices will go down again but never count on this.

Wouldn't be surprised if the points per night will go above 40K threshold soon at this rate, seems like the demand will be picking up soon in Hawaii in every area (car rental, air fares, and hotels alike).
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I stayed a few times when the property opened, and now it's reliably $300 and up *before* the effectively 17% in taxes (Sales + Hotel + County) you will face. That said, almost nowhere in Kona will you find a property under $300/night so there's that
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:54 pm

anyone know how to book a room here using points? im trying to book for aug 17 thru aug 22 and it says "Pay with points is not available for the selected dates". Why would it not be available? aren't points equivalent to cash?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by odom4president
anyone know how to book a room here using points? im trying to book for aug 17 thru aug 22 and it says "Pay with points is not available for the selected dates". Why would it not be available? aren't points equivalent to cash?
Unfortunately points are not the equivalent of cash. Hotel's are typically reimbursed very little for reward stays unless the hotel is close to full occupancy. So some hotels will restrict the number of rooms available on points. They only have to offer a small percentage of rooms on points to comply with IHG rules.

To answer your other question, keeping checking availability for your stay. Availability changes frequently. You can also try booking individual nights. You maybe able to get most of them on points that way (e.g. if only some are sold out for points stays). The downside with this approach is you won't get the fourth night free. Good Luck!

--Jon
odom4president likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve stayed here three times the past few years on points. With cash rates around $300, 40k a night is not bad for IHG these days.

The trick seems to be that during more popular times, they do make award nights available, but you have to book very early. Close in, award nights may open up again.
odom4president likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
If you have FNCs, you'll find a lot more availability at this hotel than using points.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:46 pm

Has anyone stayed at this location recently? Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by bladerunner6
Has anyone stayed at this location recently? Thanks.
A few weeks ago.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
A few weeks ago.
What is it like post-Covid?

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bladerunner6
What is it like post-Covid?

Thanks
Pretty much back to "normal", except less housekeeping and a bit more homelessness (the new norm everywhere).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Pretty much back to "normal", except less housekeeping and a bit more homelessness (the new norm everywhere).
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.