Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion on Intercontinental Hotels in Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Discussion on Intercontinental Hotels in Doha

Hello,

We're looking at spending another Easter in the Mid East due to the convenience of getting there from Northern Europe + the manageable time difference. This helps with two little boys.
We've done Dubai twice now, and while both the IC and CP Festival City have been brilliant, we feel a change of scenery and perhaps a beach resort would be nice.

So, with RA status, two small kids, would you stay at the City or Beach IC over in Doha? And how are the places in general?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would say the old (beach IC). It's slightly dated, though they have renovated the rooms. Of course you have the pool and beach, which is the main factor, and the rates are usually a bit lower.

Both hotels should give you a suite as RA, and the City has generally also given club access in my experience while the old one generally doesn't. Although the club is nothing special, this could be a significant cost savings with the breakfast and other food options in the club. On balance, I find the F&B slightly better at the City -- their buffet is one of the best in town if this interests you, though the old IC buffet is solid.

Service at the City is horrendous. As a solo traveler, it doesn't bother me much, but with a family you may have extra requests, etc., that will likely become a headache at the City.

The City is also across the street from a mall, if this interests you, while the old one isn't within walking distance of anywhere except maybe Katara, which is a short distance but very inconvenient walk -- no pedestrian infrastructure, and there are usually not taxis on standby.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, useful
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Doha - which IC for a short leisure stay?

For an upcoming trip on Qatar Airways, I've decided to take a stopover in Doha as I've never been there before. All being well, it'll be a 36 hour / 1 night visit, arriving mid morning of day 1, leaving late night on day 2.

Looking at reward nights, the InterContinental : Doha is 35k/night, and the InterContinental : Doha - The City seems to be a steal at 25k/night.

For a short leisure stay, with some sightseeing, some museums / galleries, and needing to get to/from the airport, which one do people tend to favour?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:39 am
Suspended

Me thinks the old one, InterContinental Doha is much better. The City is more towards business people in a glass tower. The old hotel has more charm and is of a resort really.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:16 am

Intercontinental Doha is good except for location, wich is far from everywhere and the taxis usually try to "fix the price" (very cheap by meter if you manage to find an honest taxi driver)

Beach and breakfast are very good at IC Doha.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I have stayed at both and both are very nice properties. The City is literally in the city and convenient if you need to be downtown. The older one is more stately, haa great beach/pools, and is a resort vs a city hotel. The older hotel is close to the Pearl, if you wanted to go shopping/eating.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Been searching FT and found a dearth of info on Both Doha hotels. I'm in the very same boat as the OP, 36-hour stopover first visit to Doha. Trying to choose between properties, want to do museums and the Souk and dip my toes in the Persian Gulf (which I know is do-able on property at the older one), generally want things convenient for getting around. This will be in early March.

Particularly welcome comments on the IC Club lounges.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Been searching FT and found a dearth of info on Both Doha hotels. I'm in the very same boat as the OP, 36-hour stopover first visit to Doha. Trying to choose between properties, want to do museums and the Souk and dip my toes in the Persian Gulf (which I know is do-able on property at the older one), generally want things convenient for getting around. This will be in early March.

Particularly welcome comments on the IC Club lounges.
Doha is not a huge place. I did stay at the old one, relax, beach. Then take a Taxi to town and spend some time there. The new one is right in town (did not stay there), but the town itself is not a pedestrian place.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Flying blue
Yes, the intercontinental is not close to anywhere. In the summer it's to hot to walk anywhere. The food is really expensive in the hotel. Asking about where you can go to eat at reception fell flat as they only seem to tell you about other hotels. And when booking a taxi to go search for food, they demand a destination or they wouldn't phone!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
the IC Doha is definitely the better option for a leisure stay but like many ICs in the Mideast, the hotel management does not seem to give a damn about guests, only people coming to booze and dine
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Does the IC Club at either property serve alcohol, as IC Clubs do elsewhere in the world at happy hour? Or is it just fruit juice?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by deneru
taxis usually try to "fix the price" (very cheap by meter if you manage to find an honest taxi driver)
https://www.uber.com/cities/doha/
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Does the IC Club at either property serve alcohol, as IC Clubs do elsewhere in the world at happy hour? Or is it just fruit juice?
Can now answer my own question and the larger one of this thread.

Spent about 48 hours at IC Doha last week. It is basically a medium-sized beach resort, not at all a city hotel. It is north of downtown Doha, in between downtown and The Pearl expat compound. It is right next to The St. Regis and a short walk to the Katara cultural-tourist-restaurant-entertainment development (which is very much still under construction, as is the new metro stop nearby). The hotel had a nice sized well-equipped gym, a largish pool, and a decent stretch of beach, which has a nice view back over a bight of the gulf to downtown Doha and Hamad International Airport. There are several on-property restaurants, booze readily available on property. The Club lounge was very nice and is brand new (opened this year) in a new wing of the hotel, with decent F&B offerings including wine and cocktails at happy hour. The staff were all excellent, service being a shining point of the hotel.

When Katara really opens, there will be more to do nearby. At present, there is very little in the vicinity. Taxis fairly readily available at the front door (insist on meter or negotiate a fare when you get in), will run you about $10 or $15 to most places you'd want to go in the city or on the Corniche. A shuttle to the Souk or downtown also available a couple times a day.

Very glad we picked this relaxing spot over The City property for our short stay. But might try The City next time for variety.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:31 am

Can anyone shed light on the food and beverage situation during Ramadan? My next visit will be during Ramadan. Curious if any food is served during daylight hours, whether alcohol is available at all (I’m guessing it’s not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.