Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
You lucky, lucky b@$tard!!! I'm staying in the Grand Poobah Suite (well, it has some other name, I'm sure, but it is HUGE!) at the IC Melbourne and I only got 3 apples (2 green, 1 red)!

I see you're one of those RAs that doesn't appreciate it when a hotel goes the extra mile, huh? You get a bonus of 33% more apples compared to other RAs at other properties and it's still not good enough for ya, huh?

(Well, OK, the IC Melb also gave me a bottle of wine and a bag of chocolate fruit and nut but that doesn't count... )
[Monty Python sketch memories] 3 apples - luxury! I remember we used to get one rotten apple thrown at us by the Concierge every morning; our "room upgrades" got us into a broom cupboard where you could only stand-up and the "free minibar" was a bucket of used cooking oil with a ladle.... RA's today don't know they're born
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:24 am

IC San Juan, Puerto Rico

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
It was what I expected, based on previous reviews here

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked '2 DOUBLE BEDS SUPERIOR LAGUNA VIEW' on advance purchase rate, upgraded to '1 KING BED CLUB IC NONSMOKING' one day before checkin

How are the rooms?
Club rooms are in a separate wing of the hotel, I received one on the ground floor (so no balcony - windows opened out onto a small terrace and then directly to the pool, not particularly private).

Decent sized room with sofa, comfortable king bed and large flatscreen TV, small bathroom (including shower over the bath tub) and Agraria toiletries. Small fridge in room which had been stocked with four bottles of beer (two Heineken and two local - no bottle opener, although I always carry my own :-)), plus six cans of soft drinks. Coffee machine. Room had seen better days - furniture was worn in places, and some redecoration needed in the bathroom.

Taxi to/from airport is fixed fee, currently $12 plus $1 for each bag

How is the exec. lounge?
As reported elsewhere, large Club lounge but very little on offer - a coffee machine and tea/hot water (but no milk for the tea), plus some apples and water. No food in evidence - I asked at reception who advised that you receive breakfast in the restaurant if booking a Club room, but not if you are upgraded to one. One PC for guest use.

What was your welcome gift?
Two bottles of Evian, and small fruit bowl - no gift or welcome letter

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
Comfortable bed
Pool area looked good, although I was only overnighting while on a mileage run so didn't try it.
Direct access to (public) beach

Bad:
Poor RA upgrade - Club room should include more than free coffee in the lounge, although the duty manager did tell me at checkout that the club rooms are much better than the standard rooms
Noise from one of the bars on the other side of the pool clearly audible in the room, but earplugs took care of that
Poor minibar selection
Long wait to checkin with only 1 couple in front of me, no apology or RA recognition when I finally got served

Value for money?
Didn't seem like great value, but rates rarely go below the $160 I paid (plus tax and "resort fee") and I have no idea whether this compares well with other hotels in the area

Would you return?
This is now the only IHG property in San Juan, so possibly if I was doing the same sort of trip again. Not really sure why this is an IC though - it felt more like a Crowne Plaza to me
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
IC Cleveland Suites

It was ok, but not impressive. At $100/night, certainly acceptable, but I wouldn't pay much more.

Booked 1 king Suite. Received same on Ambassador Floor (top floor).

How are the rooms?
Small-to-moderately sized suite, approximately the same size as the suites at the IC Conference Center. Separate living and sleeping areas, combo tub/shower. Gilchrest grapefruit toiletries. Small fridge (larger than most mini-fridges) and microwave and wet bar; small fridge had some minis, two splits of wine, a few beers, and water.

How is the exec. lounge?
There is none, but 2 breakfasts at C2 are included for AMB and RA members. Do remember to request that it be removed from the bill at checkout!

Besides the fruit and water, nothing.

Yes, but not until day 2.

Good:

Nice location for where I was going (University Circle)
Competitively priced

Bad:

1. Older heating system, so room (set at 65 degrees) was 73 during the night [in December] and made it difficult to sleep.
2. Slow tub drain (did let them know afterwards, but it wasn't a killer for me).
3. Front desk was quite short-staffed on the weekend, and about half the time there wasn't anyone at the front desk to answer my phone call within a couple minutes.
4. No amenity, no personal letter (even though I've stayed there before).
5. Complimentary Internet was abysmal - 0.23 MBps up, 0.20 down. There was a $12.99 internet option, but I don't know if that is complimentary for RA (or AMB).

Value for money?

At $100 a night, it's not bad, but I'd probably stay at the Doubletree at Tudor Arms if I had both HH Gold and any AMB status. Options near University Circle are otherwise pretty limited, and service definitely spotty.

Would you return?
Maybe - I'd put it on par with a good Crowne Plaza, but it falls short of being a good US-based IC. I do think it's a better value than the Conference Center Hotel if Club Access not included (cheaper rates, more space, CC hotel doesn't have great service).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
IC SF Mark Hopkins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your PC Status?

Were you happy with your stay?
Yes, very much so.

What Room did You book and what did you receive?
Booked King Standard Bed on BOGO, upgraded to 1 BED Suite with Club Access

How are the Rooms?
Nice size Suite. Corner Room with lots of windows. . 2 TVs- both Flat Panel was a welcome modern touch to the otherwise Classical furnishings. We really enjoyed the Jacuzzi.

Was there fruit and water in your room?
Yes, later in the evening.

Did not receive one.

How is the Exec Lounge?.
Lounge staff was just one person, but she did a great job. No hot items for breakfast but Lox was nice. On Sunday they even had Champagne for breakfast.

What was the Good and Bad
Good:
- Very nice upgrade
- Hotel staff was very friendly. Hotel lobby always seemed bustling.

Bad:
No welcome gift
Work Table in living room was too far from nearest outlet.
Had to use Wifi as wired internet did not work. Luckily I did not really need to work.

Would you stay again?
Oh yes.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
IC Prague

What is your PC Status?

As always - delighted!

Booked Classic room on corporate rate, got Club Junior Suite

How are the Rooms?
Large living room/study, a nice sized bedroom (larger than in executive suite), separate restroom with urinal(!) in the living room, and bathroom with shower&tub in the bedroom. Large desk, sofa, two armchairs..

Yes, some peanuts, a chocolate-coated apple(!)...

Usually it's a bottle of wine, but this time it was missing. As this is no longer mandatory, I thought they stopped giving gifts, but a colleague checked in to the suite next door later, and he did get the wine. I guess they just forgot, and I don't care that much about wine, so I didn't ask. And the usual "Welcome back" letter by the hotel manager.

How is the Exec Lounge?
Great selection of evening snacks, always 3-4 warm dishes, sandwiches, cakes and cookies available at all times. I am a bit disappointed that they used the prohibition time to silently dramatically reduce the choice of alcohol during cocktail hours - they used to be one of the few places serving Matusalem rum, my absolute favorite, and now they don't even serve any rum - just 5-6 very generic spirits, and unavoidable Becherovka.

Good:
Excellent treatment of RAs. Service consistently at high level.

Bad:
Forgotten wine - but no biggie for me
Silent reduction of choice of spirits in the lounge

Would you stay again?
Absolutely!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by siliconflyer
IC SF Mark Hopkins

Did not receive one.
Bad:
.No welcome gift
Work Table in living room was too far from nearest outlet..
Had to use Wifi as wired internet did not work. Luckily I did not really need to work.
I received a key ring celebrating 85 years of the property, and representing the building.
It is a reproduction of the key ring which was used at this property when doors were not activated by magnetic cards:

We all came with lots of good intentions and left with good memories but no work
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: ICHotels, Qantas FF, Enrich
IC Rialto - Melbourne

Yes, it is a great hotel.^

Booked a standard King Room with the Priority Privilege rate, was upgraded to a King Suite, originally without Club Access, I asked if I had Club Access, the answer was no, the front desk team then rang the club and they granted me access for my stay, no charge

How are the rooms?

The King Suite is a good size for someone travelling on business, a separate lounge and bedroom, well apportioned bathroom, including a spa bath

How is the exec. lounge?

Very good, attentive staff, quiet

Bottle of wine

Yes, water replenished daily

Good:
The upgrade and the Club Access
Helpful staff, it is always nice to be welcomed by name for the guys from the Bell Desk
Location is fantastic, easy walk to many sites.

Bad:

Nothing!!!

Value for money?

Yes

Would you return?
Yes. Back in about 2 weeks.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I received a key ring celebrating 85 years of the property, and representing the building.
It is a reproduction of the key ring which was used at this property when doors were not activated by magnetic cards:

You lucky devil.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Dec 23, 2012 at 5:42 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
IC TOKYO BAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAT RA

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
First time here. Very happy for a Points stay.

(...)
Glad to hear the one good IC in Tokyo is still honoring bennies on award stays! ^

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:09 am Reason: no need to quote the whole post
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
InterContinental London Westminster

- What is your Priority Club status?

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Somewhat.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Classic room, upgraded to King Executive on 6th floor.

- What was your welcome gift?

Small box of Intercontinental branded chocolate and 2 bottles of water (still/sparkling) as well as some fruits and a handwritten card.

- How are the rooms?

Really nice, still new (of course) and everything in working order except the TV. A bit small, however.
Minibar with limited drinks. 2 regular Coke, 2 Coke light, water, milk and 3 other bottles.

- How is the exec. lounge?

Was not offered access

- What was good and what was bad?

+ Really friendly staff, got a short tour through the hotel and my room.
+ nice room/furniture
- poor free WiFi (uploading pics from the room to FB was faster via 3G than the WiFi)
- starting at approx 07:00 a.m. heavy construction noise - could not locate the source.
- Fire alarm at 08:20 a.m. (and as soon as I felt asleep again I got a call from the Front Desk asking if everything's ok).

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Was a fully paid stay. Not sure about a return.
I did not feel realy comfortable, but it's difficult to explain. Maybe wrong expectation.

Last edited by Hippo72; Dec 20, 2012 at 6:39 am
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:02 am

IC Budapest

What is your PC Status?

Oh yes!

Booked Classic room on corporate rate, upgraded first to River View with Club, then River View Suite with Club, and due to some conference that filled the hotel with Russians, ended up in the Presidential Suite!

How are the Rooms?
Suite spans the entire width of the hotel, it's on the top (9th) floor. A small marble hall opens to a nice salon overlooking the river, with a fake fireplace (yuck!) and some nice sofas, and a B&O CD player with some CDs The salon opens up to a small hallway with the mini bar, nespresso machine and kettle, and continues to a meeting room with a conference desk.

Off the entrance hallway is a small visitor restroom, and a door to "President's quarters", a large study with a desk, coffeetable and sofas, and a bedroom with king bed separated by sliding doors. Adjacent to the bedroom is a bathroom with shower and tub, and a walk-in closet. All of that overlooks the city.

Large bottles of Agraria amenities in the bathroom, plus small in both the bathroom and the guest restroom.

For British FlyerTalkers, it's worth noting that a block of power sockets at the desk in the main salon included british-type sockets too, and an international converter in one of the Schuko-style sockets.

Yes, usual selection, apples, prunes, dried apricots, some grapes....
No welcome letter, though.

Traditional hungarian chocolate-coated dried fruit in a nice box.

How is the Exec Lounge?
Did not visit, but from previous visits, it's quite spacious with a decent selection of food and drinks in the evenings.

Good:
Nice upgrade

Bad:
Nothing at all, really.

Would you stay again?
Sure

Last edited by hdogan; Dec 20, 2012 at 6:21 am
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG
- What is your Priority Club status?

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Not really

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked Executive, upgraded to club room with lounge access on a BOGO

- What was your welcome gift?

Two boxes of Intercontinental branded chocolates and 2 bottles of water (still/sparkling) as well as some fruits, and a card from the manager.

- How are the rooms?

Really well done. Great beds, bathroom, nice TV that only worked intermittently. Bin is tiny, though and impractical. Molton Brown toiletries the first night, but then Agraria the second night?!

Went the first night, and there were 3 or 4 people in there. Plenty of staff who were great. Very small evening drinks selection, (and no champagne, like Park Lane) Small canapes which ran out. Nice lounge though, and very cosy and intimate. However, the next day the lounge was closed without notice.

- What was good and what was bad?

+ Nice and helpful staff
+ High quality room, well finished.
- TV only worked intermittently, tried watching a film but it was stuttery. Some films wouldn't work at all
- Mini bar was awful, not even a handful of spirits, 2 beers and lots of water. No wine, champagne, juices etc. Having never been charged for snacks anywhere on a paid stay, I made the assumption that these would be free, but then found them on the bill for £44.
- Ordered room service, which never arrived and was charged to the bill (though removed at checkout).
- Rooms poorly sound-proofed. Bottle banks being emptied outside at 7.50AM is not something I expected

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

I don't know. I really expected it to be better. In truth, the place shouldn't be open yet, because there are still a LOT of issues that need to be resolved.
In spite of the professionalism and enthusiasm of many of the staff, one cannot help but feel that they have simply been left to it by their management. The place feels as if no-one is really sure what they are doing (and there is no-one to help)
I requested a suite upgrade based on me booking Executive, and the reservations manager said he would put a note on my booking to upgrade to suite, if suites were available. Upon check-in i was told suites weren't available in spite of IHG.COM showing they were, and the fact that the place was almost empty.
I've read about people with no status booking through 3rd party sites getting better treatment, and that's not right.
Closing the Club without notice/explanation is unforgivable. I was told to have breakfast in the restaurant instead. (Front desk insisted a message had been sent to my TV to explain, but there wasn't a message there when i went back to the room.)
Overall, It was an opportunity to impress their RA customers in particular, and they failed.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by turner32

The next day the lounge was closed without notice.

Closing the Club without notice/explanation is unforgivable.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by turner32
(Front desk insisted a message had been sent to my TV to explain, but there wasn't a message there when i went back to the room.)
This is so horrible and impersonal and, call me old fashioned, but I would be more offended by THAT than them not having notified me at all!

How many people did they have at the hotel that night that had club access? Was it so hard to write a bunch of hand-written notes, put them in envelopes and slip them under the door? A small gesture, but at least it shows they genuinely care...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG
Of course. But i paid for a club room, and the snacks i ended up having in the room would have been free in the club, not £44 on top of the club room rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.