Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Reservation Debacle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Help with Reservation Debacle

Hey, FlyerTalkers. Hoping I can harness some of your smarts to help fix a frustrating situation. I’m a IHG Platinum Member who has been planning a trip to warmer shores late next month (I live in Michigan!). I had a little over 100,000 IHG points I wanted to use towards my trip. There were two properties with reasonable Rewards Points rates that I was eyeing in Puerto Rico and Grand Cayman. I decided in the PR location because of the rich cultural history of PR.

Today, I noticed that the Holiday Inn Express Condado’s website featured a troubling message: Now booking stays for on or after March 13, 2014. I thought this was strange, since: A) I had three reservations still confirmed for before these dates (Feb 25 – Mar 3); and, B) no one from IHG had contacted me.

I decided to proactively call IHG reservations to clear up this situation. Unfortunately, the agent who tried to assist me was not helpful. She told me she was going to cancel my reservations and there was nothing I could do about it. I said that, as a Platinum Elite IHG member, I would hope that IHG could find some way to fix this situation. She said there was nothing they could do.

I feel like I’m being punished for being proactive. What would have happened if I had just shown up at the Holiday Inn on February 25th? Was anyone ever going to call me or inform me of the problem?

There is a relatively easy solution to this problem, as IHG has another property in Puerto Rico – the InterContinental. I would hope that IHG could find a way to honor my reservations at that property. I’ve built a whole trip around these reservations. I’ve budgeted the trip with the idea that many of the nights would be paid for in IHG points.

Any ideas on IHG contacts or avenues for support that might help? I've PM'd IHG Care here, but not sure that account is still active.

THANKS, in advance!!!!!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The hotel is not open...reservation or not.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replying! Yes, well, it was slated to re-open in February. I have standing reservations that are still in the system. I take it you feel that doesn't mean squat and IHG doesn't owe me anything. But I can't help but feel effed over.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Why did you even call? Why not just show up and see what happens? Then you would have good receive to complain and get placed in the Intercontinental. Sometimes, it is better to play dumb.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Hello trevor.h

I don't think you are being punished for being pro-active. Although website now says opening later than your booking, I think review would have been only 30days or so before HIE's original opening night, or 30days before your stay leaving you with both less time, and less options to do anything.
AND Just turning up with only one other IHG hotel around, would not result in transfer/upgrade to IC which could be full up by March... In fact there would be no IHG staff at hotel to do anything for you, you'd be on your own trying to make some other arrangements, expensive last minute rooms when locals have you over a barrel.

Alas IHG could (and may) say you take a known risk/gamble by booking hotel rooms pre-opening, and that any loss incurred (eg flights) should be covered by your travel insurance.

The HIE is on awards at 20K whilst IC is at 50K, and for 25Feb-3MAR IC San Juan is not available on rewards the middle Fri or Sat nights 28 Feb + 1 Mar, whilst paid rate at IC is $260/night insteaad of $150

For reverse issue, ie an hotel where IHGer has awards booked leaving IHG brand, I believe IHG has rebooked to similar hotel for free letting the IHGer off the additional say 10k points/night needed.

It has been known for IHG to help out IHGers if nearest IHG hotel is higher points/night, for IHG Cust Svcs to rebook at no extra cost. At the end of the day there are not usually that many IHGers booked on awards so costs to IHG is minimal.

Although in your case you would want your 5nights at 20k changed to 5nights at 50K, an increase 30k/night total 150K OR at p+c prices us$1050, or if you used your 100K to take seven nights booked using P+C an extra 210k worth us$1470

Can only suggest you ring and speak to IHG cust services, request to chat with a supervisor straight off, explain issue and result of earlier call, and ask supervisor, "Please what can IHG do to help you", and is it maybe possible for IHG to rebook you for same nn nights for same nn points at the only other San Juan IHG hotel, the IC you fancy. (Mention in your case you have committed to non-refundable costly lights to San Juan )
You have nothing to lose but your time and cost of a free skype phonecall.

No reason IHG can not credit you some points, but 30K/night for each of your 5-7 nights is quite substantial, and probably too much for IHG to swallow and IC San Juan has 2nights without award availability which IHG can't really do much about.
Also maybe IHG could book nights for you at some lower nightly rate than the IHG.COM searched rate of $260, you won't know until you ask, mostly thinking of middle 2nights without award availability.

fyi
July2013 a big wideranging fiasco in July2013 PB booking, where when booking extra points were taken at lots of PB hotels, I left IHG supervisors to rebook my PB's over night, and in the end IHG gave me 30k credit for points difference in their bookings over my attempted 5k PB's that 30K required some pushing by me, and I am an RA so I think Ambassador desk helpful because of my top 1% elite status.

Last edited by scubaccr; Jan 21, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:24 am

I had a similar situation at an IC in Asia a while ago. Reservation made a few month before, opening date moved past my arrival date.
The hotel re-booked me into a park hyatt (close by), got a suite there and they only charged me their normal rate. In addition letter of apology from the GM, huge fruit basked, bottle of champagne and an invitation to tour the hotel.

You have a contract for the room. They need to find acceptable accommodation for you. Seems you need to be insistent and/or speak to a supervisor.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Hey all! Thanks for your super thoughtful replies.

The situation is presently being sorted, and I am being booked in to the InterContinental at no additional charge.

Very happy with the outcome! Joyce at CR has been super helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.