Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by izzik
Does anyone know how close the CP Manchester Airport is to the train station?
I'm looking to travel around via train with that as my base.. would be great to just walk to/from the station instead of shuttles..
The CP Man airport is just across the road from terminal 1 and if you're flying into terminal 3 it's a short walk round (or through) multi storey.

It's pretty handy for arriving by train and as long as it isn't raining you'll be fine.

Radisson SAS is also there and that is attached to T2, a better place IMO.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
The CP Man airport is just across the road from terminal 1 and if you're flying into terminal 3 it's a short walk round (or through) multi storey.

It's pretty handy for arriving by train and as long as it isn't raining you'll be fine.

Radisson SAS is also there and that is attached to T2, a better place IMO.
I'd stay at the Radisson SAS but their rate was 25 GBP higher.. and a recent review on Tripadvisor indicated that the walkway to the Radisson was closed for construction, which led to a big hassle in getting to the hotel.. didn't sound great.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I'd stay at the Radisson SAS but their rate was 25 GBP higher.. and a recent review on Tripadvisor indicated that the walkway to the Radisson was closed for construction, which led to a big hassle in getting to the hotel.. didn't sound great.
fair enough, under normal circumastances I would say £25 extra is worth it but with the walkway out of action enjoy the CP
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MKB
I can't comment on breakfast, as we didn't surface until the afternoon.
The same here
I have to say that breakfast is served in the club lounge just until 9.30 am, even on week-ends

We went instead to Cup on 53-55th Thomas Street, a stylish organic restaurant (excellent pies, cool atmosphere)

I like the CP Manchester
Nicely decorated Club rooms (even if not that big, especially the closet)
Very comfy bed (looks like A Sofitel's bed)
Warm service
Free Internet PCs and printer at Club lounge
Good location, close to Urbis Museum
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
I really like this hotel, initially I moved from the Hilton to aquire more priority points and keep my platinum status. However, since that I have really appreciated the positives of this hotel.

+ves

Location is interesting - the Northern Quarter has nice bars and restaurants (TNQ and Dough Pizza Kitchen very close) with a young crowd. Interesting retro stores and cafes etc around the area if you have a chance for a wander during the day. It feels a refreshingly 'non corporate' area. Also, very close to Arndale and Selpfridges etc.

Room

The beds are far more comfortable when compared to the Hilton, the Lowry, Radisson and Malmaison - probably the strongest point of the hotel. The carpets are new and feel fresh - try doing press-ups in the Hilton and you will see the differance!

Breakfast

The breakfast is good - comparable to anywhere else. Shame there is no porridge.

-ves

Decor
The decor is not to everyones taste - it is black with dashes of white and red. The corridors are painted black. For me, the style misses the mark - but at least is not the usual beige and 1980's swirls you see in other hotels.

Swimming pool

There is no swimming pool.

Taxis

Sometimes it is difficult to get a taxi unless booked in advance. Seems to be worse than the Radisson and Hilton.

Telephone

The hotel uses VOIP phones in the room. If you leave your blackberry / mobile phone close to the bed phone you will get regular 'feedback' - annoying if you use your mobile as an alarm clock. The solution is to pull the cable out of the bed phone.

Overall - from staying in Manchester for close to a year now, this is the only hotel I have managed to stay in long term without pulling my hair out - and I think it is because of the wonderful beds and the location.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: BD*G, Priorityclub Platinum Royal Ambassador
For business stays the CP at the Airport is very reasonable, and my status (Plat) is always recognised - club room with club access on all my stays so far this year
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cr4zyfish
For business stays the CP at the Airport is very reasonable, and my status (Plat) is always recognised - club room with club access on all my stays so far this year

Aside from the money off in their restaurant I haven't had any Plat recognition here. It has annoyed me so much over my last three stays (all this year) that I won't be going back. On the plus side I won't be missing their shocking room service
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
Originally Posted by Cr4zyfish
It is your RA being recognised at MAN CP not your Platinum status.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: BD*G, Priorityclub Platinum Royal Ambassador
My RA status may help, but they always confirm my 'platinum upgrade' - it may be as I stay fairly regularly and in the past have always asked ...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
RA benefits apply to IC hotels only.
All RAs are, however, Platinum.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:46 am
phb

I stayed at the CP Manchester a few weeks ago and found it distinctly underwhelming.

Staff are not particularly helpful. The 'upgraded' room was small. Furniture is already showing signs of age. Bathroom cramped and poorly designed. Lounge dirty and food poor.

I paid GBP111 prepaid rate and would not return.

CP at the airport is also off my list (as is the Hilton). The hotel is dark and depressing, showing its age, and the room service is diabiolical.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by phb
I stayed at the CP Manchester a few weeks ago and found it distinctly underwhelming.

Staff are not particularly helpful. The 'upgraded' room was small. Furniture is already showing signs of age. Bathroom cramped and poorly designed. Lounge dirty and food poor.

I paid GBP111 prepaid rate and would not return.

CP at the airport is also off my list (as is the Hilton). The hotel is dark and depressing, showing its age, and the room service is diabiolical.
Agreed, I cancelled a few pointsbreak stays there last year (about 25 nights, if I recall) and moved to a paid stay elsewhere.

The lack of opening windows in the bedroom (such a stupid idea, IMHO), soul-less interior, indfferent staff were all reasons for me.

And it wasn't a spur of the moment decision - I endured four week of stays before I decided to abandon ship.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
I have yet to receive an upgrade either due to Platinum or RA status.
Maybe it's because I always check-in pretty late as I can't bear to spend more time than I have to in this uber-depressing Hotel.

The only thing I can say to recommend it - is that quite often the barrier is up / broken for the car-park & you can get free parking which is pretty good as you can walk to the terminal.
The downside to this is that if it is - it tends to be a complete "free-for-all" with people parking absolutely everywhere.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by phb
It's newly renovated? At least the Club rooms are? (Never been NOT upgraded, so don't know about standard rooms?)
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
It's newly renovated? At least the Club rooms are? (Never been NOT upgraded, so don't know about standard rooms?)
I'm sure all the rooms have been upgraded but silk purse & sow’s ear springs to mind.

The standard rooms aren't really very big with small bathrooms & some of them seem to be quite a distance from reception. The breakfast whilst available from 4-30am - is probably my least favourite CP breakfast experience. I don't know what it is about this Hotel but I find it depressing even when I stay there before a Leisure Flight.

Perhaps it's just me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.