Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Vienna City (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Holiday Inn Vienna City (Master Thread)

Here is a stay report for the Holiday Inn Vienna City from December 8 to 10.

Location: The hotel is located a little bit west of the main part of Vienna on the Margartetenstrasse about a quarter mile away from the Kettenbruckengasse U-Bahn stop on the U4 line. The neighborhood is quite pleasant and features a few restaurants including a couple of Gasthouses, an all you can eat Japanese place, a small bakery (Anker) and an Italian place as well as numerous stores. It was a safe place to walk to and from the U-Bahn stop at at night.

Hotel: The hotel is in a very modern building that's quite pretty when it's lit up at night. The lobby area is small but well lit and features a check in desk and a small sitting area. Oddly, to get to the elevator (only one, this is annoying for a 7 story hotel) you have to walk through the bar and restaurant. The bar has a computer for guests to use though prices for the bar and food and especially breakfast are quite high. However, the building is very nice overall.

Check-In:
The agent on duty was very friendly and helpful and was even willing to help me look up movie times at a nearby theater which I consider helpful. She also mentioned I was a Platinum and thanked me for that (a plus). In fact, the staff for my entire visit here were always friendly and helpful.

Room:
I received an upgrade to a deluxe King sized room on the 7th (6th to Europeans) floor which was the highest. The room had a small sitting area with a work desk and separate chair and table as well as a large couch near the beds (because it's Europe, King = two Twins pushed together.). There was also a closet, large bathroom with faux marble design and my view was of the street not an interior courtyard!

Other: Breakfast is an absurd 15 Euros for a continental breakfast but the Anker bakery nearby took care of me. The hotel has its own parking garage below the hotel, though I don't know how much it would cost.

My rate was 25,000 points a night and based on the location and the comfortable nature of the hotel, I would gladly stay here again. Photo of the room follows:

Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Radisson Gold, KLM Gold, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Royal Ambassador
Was this room 615? I was there in 615 from September to end of November. Around 72 days in total.

Hotel is good for me because i could catch Bus 13A near the Billa direct to the office where I was working. Otherwise location is a bit out of the way but accessible to the Subway. There's a McDonalds a few minutes away at Pilgrimgasse Station for late nights where everything is closed and on Sundays were Vienna is closed down.

Negatives for me - It's always noisy in the morning time, sounds echo throughout the hotel and you'll hear talking, lifts, walking, cleaners all the time. Nearly impossible to sleep on a Saturday morning. Internet is a rip at 18 Euro a day. Should be free for Platinums.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I like this hotel. I've stayed there a few times. However, it is a refurbished old building, and you can see little instances of that throughout the hotel. They are doing room upgrades; and I got one on my last visit. Lots of wood decor in the room. I used to get breakfast coupons, but on my last visit, I was told "not with my rate program". However, I've only ever stayed there at the 2-4-1 rate . AND my stays have only ever posted twice to my PC account; all others I've had to call the CS. But the staff is exceptionally hospitable, and the location suits me well. And here's a hint for the internet: you can actually get it for free. There is an option for a free 30 minute sign-up (in addition to the charged options). And when the 30 minutes are up, you just "sign-up" for another 30 minutes.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richardmu
Was this room 615? I was there in 615 from September to end of November. Around 72 days in total.

Hotel is good for me because i could catch Bus 13A near the Billa direct to the office where I was working. Otherwise location is a bit out of the way but accessible to the Subway. There's a McDonalds a few minutes away at Pilgrimgasse Station for late nights where everything is closed and on Sundays were Vienna is closed down.

Negatives for me - It's always noisy in the morning time, sounds echo throughout the hotel and you'll hear talking, lifts, walking, cleaners all the time. Nearly impossible to sleep on a Saturday morning. Internet is a rip at 18 Euro a day. Should be free for Platinums.
Close, I was in room 618! I actually didn't notice the noise problem, and I think I would have as the previous hotel I'd stayed at had a more serious noise problem and this wasn't bad at all. I was able to sleep fine on Friday and Saturday mornings.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I just got back from four days here, in room 617. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay; great room, ideal location, friendly staff and good (but expensive) breakfast.

The hotel is near enough to the centre to be convenient, but far enough away that it is not full of tourists. There are also several traditional Austrian restaurants in the surrounding streets.

The 30 minutes free internet option is very good, as it allows people who just need to check emails etc to do it without being ripped off. I logged on several times each day with the 30 minute option - so the time doesn't seem to be accumulative over a 24 hour period.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Any recent reports from this hotel?

Trying to decide between 3 hotels to stay at, using points for 2 nights on May 14th.

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any update on this property? Thinking about spending a couple of days in Vienna during a holiday in Budapest with the family. Rate seems reasonable at €80.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
any recent stays????thinking of booking this place for a 3-4 night stay next month....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
any recent stays????thinking of booking this place for a 3-4 night stay next month....
I had a couple of nights stay here about 3 weeks ago. As a plat, I was told that I was upgraded to their deluxe room. The room is tiny. Internet is super slow. It is a rather long walk to the metro though and nothing particularly good in the area when it comes to restaurants. I wouldn't stay here again.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
It is a rather long walk to the metro though and nothing particularly good in the area when it comes to restaurants.
how long of a walk????

google maps shows a bunch of restaurants around the hotel....are none of them any good????
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
how long of a walk????

google maps shows a bunch of restaurants around the hotel....are none of them any good????
I'd say about a 10-minute walk along small streets to the Naschmarkt area where the metro is. It was mostly cold and rainy when I was there so it wasn't a pleasant walk for me. There are restaurants in the area that are mostly empty of customers.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
I'd say about a 10-minute walk along small streets to the Naschmarkt area where the metro is. It was mostly cold and rainy when I was there so it wasn't a pleasant walk for me. There are restaurants in the area that are mostly empty of customers.
thanks for the update....
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:52 am

We live right around the corner of the Holiday Inn.

Distance between hotel to Subway Station "Kettenbrückengasse" is about 5 Minutes for brisk walkers, 8-10 Minutes for everyone else.

Right around the corner you find the following restaurants which i would recommend in the area

Waldviertler Hof
Typical Austrian Cuisine

Weinschenke Wien
good Burgers, smoking allowed inside which is a no for many visitors

Restaurant on
Traditional Chinese mixed with international influences

Restaurant Motto
Good Food, hotspot for the chic people since years - nice outside garden during the summer months.

Don't forget to eat (the pricey) Veganista Ice Cream on the right when you exit the hotel

Last edited by ctrlf; Apr 6, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctrlf
We live right around the corner of the Holiday Inn.
thanks....this definitely helps....
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

To continue talking about the Holiday Inn…

Booked a room for my parents last weekend. Received one of the biggest rooms since staying there for the first time. Compared to the other tiny rooms i know some would call it a junior suite.

While my father joined the other marathon runners i was able to try the breakfast with my mother on sunday morning - the usual suspects (scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, sausages on display. Ham & Eggs, Fried eggs on order. Variety of juices, jams and different cold cuts) combined with tea and coffe.

For € 80 including breakfast we couldn’t complain.

From outside

Small Seating area on the left side to the front desk

Breakfast area / restaurant

restaurant continued / Bar-Area

Garden

"Business Center"

Entryway. On the right bathroom with toilet

Bathroom

Seating area seperated with a half wall from the bed

View into the Garden

Last edited by ctrlf; Apr 14, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.