Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 London Olympic Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by soitgoes
They have to offer 5% of inventory per PCR rules. Anyway, since the hotels will likely be full, they will be well-compensated by PCR for award nights. It's PCR that won't be anxious to have tons of award night bookings.
Does this apply during major events such as The World Cup or Olympics?

There was no award availability at the World Cup in South Africa at several IC hotels and even the HIX in Woodmead tried to cancel award bookings.

I have always believed that certain hotels sell the entire hotel's entire inventory of rooms to certain organizations during these events.

Last edited by boar; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Originally Posted by boar
I have always believed that certain hotels sell the entire hotel's entire inventory of rooms to certain organizations during these events.
That's my understanding too. It is a condition of the bid for the games afaik
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:11 pm

Heads-up: IHG has released reward rooms for second week of the London 2012 Olympics. Grab your rooms now folks!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:47 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Needing 4/5/6Aug, which I've a feeling will require waiting til the coming Sunday
Check out on 5th loaded 6am UK time today. Have managed to book HIE
Wimbledon South, 40 minutes by tube from the Olympic Park, for 15k miles. Nearest to the Park is HIE Swiss Cottage (actually near Finchley Park), 35 minutes by Tube at 25k miles.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Had to change properties for my 9th night (August 4). First choice went unavailable when I got to the credit card stage and could not book it (HIX Swiss Cottage--it's one station up from a hostel I've stayed at before). Back up property is further away than I'd like to be but it works for one night. Will keep an eye out to see if anything closer opens in the weeks ahead.

Tom in Redding, California tonight
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Have one night July 26th at Indigo Tower,
then 4 more nights at CP Ealing. All 25K.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, GHA Platinum
Been having the same trouble with the Sat 4 Aug night as others. However, nights beyond this date do seem to have been loaded but aren't available through newer booking interface.

Try "Best variable" for later dates at:
www [dot] ichotelsgroup [dot] com/h/d/6c/1/en/c/1/content/dec/teaser/6c/1/en/lp/emea/guestmarketing_241.html?rateCode=IDEX1&cm_mmc=DCE-_-BN-CP-20110531-_-EMEN-_-2FOR1BC
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Had to change properties for my 9th night (August 4). First choice went unavailable when I got to the credit card stage and could not book it (HIX Swiss Cottage--it's one station up from a hostel I've stayed at before). Back up property is further away than I'd like to be but it works for one night. Will keep an eye out to see if anything closer opens in the weeks ahead.

Tom in Redding, California tonight
Same problem here, it doesn't look like there were ANY reward nights at CP St James this time (or cash rooms), so I've booked HIE Croydon for Aug 4th. Bit of a pain having to come out of the city with bags to check in and then go back in, but at least its only 15,000 points and not £300 cash!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you fly to Gatwick, Croydon is fantastic
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got the CP St. James for the days I wanted. Whew! I checked the advanced purchase and it is £476!! Both IC's appear to be completely sold out.

I also went to spg.com and only the Heathrow properties are left. Zilch at Hilton.com. Thank you IHG!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:53 pm

I see the HIX in Slough is still available. It adjoins a mainline rail station, so you will have the cost of train tickets to/from Paddington to connect to the Tube, but I would have stayed that far out if I needed to. Train time to London can run between 15-30 minutes depending which train service you take (more choices during commute times). I've done a couple stays there since they opened as I have friends that live in the country nearby. It's a good alternative to staying at any of the hotels around Heathow where you may not readily have access to transit into London without shuttles or bus connections. On the opposite side of the train station there is a Tesco superstore and a bus terminal (works for Heathrow or Windsor service).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:03 pm

I see that Oxford Circus is still available. I would much rather stay there than Slough! Have you ever walked around Slough? I would also say the same about Croydon. Of course I am assuming people didn't get tickets for everything.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by boar
Have you ever walked around Slough?
Yes, I have. There's a pedestrian mall across the roundabout up from the train station. There's not much there in terms of restaurants or amenities, though, unless you want fast food. If you're stuck for a place to stay, though, it's easier to access transit here than it is for Heathrow properties. I certainly would not stay out this far is one of the central London properties has availability.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Yes, I have. There's a pedestrian mall across the roundabout up from the train station. There's not much there in terms of restaurants or amenities, though, unless you want fast food. If you're stuck for a place to stay, though, it's easier to access transit here than it is for Heathrow properties. I certainly would not stay out this far is one of the central London properties has availability.
Ok I completely agree with your last sentence - I was in Sydney throughout the 2000 Olympics and one of the great things were the venues in the centre of the city during the games. Not sure if you will get that in the burbs.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Check out on 5th loaded 6am UK time today. Have managed to book HIE
Wimbledon South, 40 minutes by tube from the Olympic Park, for 15k miles. Nearest to the Park is HIE Swiss Cottage (actually near Finchley Park), 35 minutes by Tube at 25k miles.
Nearest I could get was CP Ealing which will do the job in the absence of anything else better - it's at least opposite a tube station even if it's only barely in London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.