Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the point of status.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Jaskel
Dear Morphius,
I just joined PCR Ambassador this year and became Plat only this year. So far, I have stayed in IC, HI and HIE and had upgrades in all the hotels I had stayed except for HIE since they only have 1 room category. Even though there was no room upgrade at HIE, but the reception does not require me to leave any deposit for my room. Thus, assuming I am staying for 2 nights, I just have to pay for the 2 nights when I check in as I was told that this "No Deposit is Required" policy is extended to Plat members. Guests who stayed in hotels in China typically are required to leave a deposit.

Even for my Reward night in IC, I had been upgraded and received all the benefits such as late checkout, free gifts, fruits etc.

I had also booked F&F rate for my stays in HI and had been upgraded to suite too. They also extended my checkout to 4 pm and had received a very warm and extremely good services from the club lounge.

All my stays are in Asia though.

So far I have been lucky.
^
when you say you were upgraded, what kind of room are you talking about????
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:40 am

Programs: Advantage Plus, Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Passport, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by saad
when you say you were upgraded, what kind of room are you talking about????
Of the 2 ICs which I stayed (booked cheapest room), I was upgraded to a suite. The 3rd IC (Singapore) I stayed was on Reward. Was upgraded to a Shophouse.

For the Holiday Inn, I booked a Club room using F&F rate and was upgraded to a suite. My friend also had a club room but he was not upgraded as he does not have any status.

J.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Of the 2 ICs which I stayed (booked cheapest room), I was upgraded to a suite. The 3rd IC (Singapore) I stayed was on Reward. Was upgraded to a Shophouse.

For the Holiday Inn, I booked a Club room using F&F rate and was upgraded to a suite. My friend also had a club room but he was not upgraded as he does not have any status.

J.
Similar to my PC Plat experience.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I find the benefits quite good. I've earned over 270K PC points so far this year and have redeemed them in Lima, NYC (twice for a total of 7 nights), Boston and San Francisco this year. I get upgraded all the time and I usually take advantage of the late check out at least twice a week.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: PC
If you get a PC survey, sink them. They are making a bad name for other IHG properties. IHG does take some aspects of the PC program quite seriously and hotels can be fined if we don't follow some parts of the program. A question of particular importance on the survey is whether or not you were recognized as a gold/platinum member. If I were you i'd interpret that question as were you recognized in a positive way. If you weren't then answer no. If the hotel gets enough of those types of replies then they will reap the rewards. Also the very first question, overall satisfaction, that's a biggie too.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Dear Morphius,

Even for my Reward night in IC, I had been upgraded and received all the benefits such as late checkout, free gifts, fruits etc.
This is great and I was amazed when on a reward stay in Paris, the HI hotel also gave us a comp bfast.. and it was a complete bfast with a hugr spread .. seemed really valuable at 25k points..ofcourse they also upgraded us to a suite .. I have no complaints from PC till now atleast ^
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
PC is about points. Loads of points, oodles of them, bathe in them, wash in them, swim in 'em.

Other bennies are inconsistent, sometimes you get the full monty treatment, step forward Oakville Canada, upgraded rooms for both me and the in-laws, free brekkie for us all, vouchers off dining, and all on a week pointbreak stay.

Other times its the cramped room with the dumpster views and faulty heating, step forward HI Notts/Derby, no free brekkie, nothing, nowt, zip nada...

Well except that my one night stay there led to a 20,000 point cascade, enough for 4 Pointbreaks nights. Which brings us back to the points.

I put 75 nights each year Marriotts way for PLT, costing about $12,000, and get a good list of bennies. I also get 250,000 MR points each year, which I redeem for about 14 nights free. I stay no more than 8 nights with PC costing about $1000 and get 70,000 points which I redeem for Pointbreaks, giving me 14 nights free. Its easy to see where the money for PC goes and why the PLT bennies in PC are non-existent.

I'm happy with PC and most definitely wouldn't like to see it change, although I hasten to add, from OP point of view, if there was another HI in the locality which did offer PLT bennies, I might take my $$$ there...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
PC is about points. Loads of points, oodles of them, bathe in them, wash in them, swim in 'em.

Other bennies are inconsistent, sometimes you get the full monty treatment, step forward Oakville Canada, upgraded rooms for both me and the in-laws, free brekkie for us all, vouchers off dining, and all on a week pointbreak stay.

Other times its the cramped room with the dumpster views and faulty heating, step forward HI Notts/Derby, no free brekkie, nothing, nowt, zip nada...

Well except that my one night stay there led to a 20,000 point cascade, enough for 4 Pointbreaks nights. Which brings us back to the points.

I put 75 nights each year Marriotts way for PLT, costing about $12,000, and get a good list of bennies. I also get 250,000 MR points each year, which I redeem for about 14 nights free. I stay no more than 8 nights with PC costing about $1000 and get 70,000 points which I redeem for Pointbreaks, giving me 14 nights free. Its easy to see where the money for PC goes and why the PLT bennies in PC are non-existent.

I'm happy with PC and most definitely wouldn't like to see it change, although I hasten to add, from OP point of view, if there was another HI in the locality which did offer PLT bennies, I might take my $$$ there...
Really good summary here, except for me it's Hilton vs Marriot. Though now that I hit RA I'm likely to shift more and more to PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.