Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Service - Tray Charge = Tip? Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Room Service - Tray Charge = Tip? Yes/No?

One of my pet hates in any hotel, never mind IHG properties...

The Tray Charge that is levied on room service orders... Do you all class that as the tip?

I have just had my order delivered and it felt as if the room service waiter was waiting for a tip... yet the 5 Euro tray charge for a 19 Euro order I feel is more than enough...

Thoughts?

BBB
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:35 am

Oh, I'm with you on that one, pet-hate-wise... Especially when the 'tray charge' is in really, really small print at the bottom of the menu. And they can be quite absurd (step forward, Chedi Milan, with its 12.50 euro charge, advertised in 8-point-font... unsurprisingly, that hotel didn't last).

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the 'tray charge' doesn't go to the waiter, in most hotels. When it's a 'service charge' (of 18%, or whatever), I do tend to regard that as a tip - but as the hotels will often just pocket the 'tray charge', I'll try to give the guy another couple euros in cash... I agree it's ambiguous, though - seemingly a way for the hotel to put one over on the guest and the waiter at once...
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
My guess is that the hotel keeps the fee for itself. I tip employee in the same manner as if there were no hotel fee.
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If a service charge is applied, then I would not tip, especially given the high rates charged such as 18% for someone to bring the whole order up in 1 go in the lift

Can't charge for service and also expect to get a tip for it imo

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:24 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 5, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
My first hotel job ever was delivering room service. Service charge goes to the hotel, not the server.
Yes...however if you have a gratuity charge built in and if so were there are shenanigans there ...in other words do the folks that deliver the tray get the gratuity without incident?

I have often wondered this.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:45 pm

When I am charged a service charge and a delivery charge no way will I be tipping!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
I agree...you'll be technically triple tipping(some one/ entity)
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:23 am

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 5, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by watchmyfly
When I am charged a service charge and a delivery charge no way will I be tipping!
Quite.

We had room service in the IC Front Street in Toronto earlier this month. For a food charge of CAD38 (and also tax of CAD5.68), we were also charged CAD7 Private Dining Delivery Charge and CAD5.70 Private Dining - Gratuity.

Despite the space for a further gratuity on the form, I declined to provide anymore tip.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:31 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I go even as far as to decline tipping if a service charge is raised. If the hotel claims it needs to charge extra for some kind of service because of the costs involved, I take it to be the responsibility of the hotel to pay their employees a living wage, without me having to pay for the service twice.

HTB.
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I am quite happy to tip... and usually quite generous. But it just sticks in my throat that I am being charged 5-10 Euros for the tray to be brought to my room, which in my mind sort of defeats the object of room service... But to then expect an additional amount just makes me annoyed.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by watchmyfly
Agree, the madness has to end somewhere.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If there is a delivery or service charge on the bill, then no further tip.

Just as when I would get pizza delivered they'd get a reasonable tip, but now that they charge a delivery charge, I figured it's covered and that's it.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
I view this to be the same as when the person at Outback brings my take-out order to the car. No tipping is expected in that situation.
If few people people tip room-service delivery person and the hotel pockets that service charge, then the union is asleep at the wheel.
Regarding pizza delivery, that delivery charge is to defray the recent increases in the reimbursement required for use of the drivers' personal vehicle. As it is covering his/her costs, I do not view it as having anything to do with the tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.