Hotels Anywhere Rewards - New redemption option [merged]

Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:51 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,377
Hotels Anywhere Rewards - New redemption option [merged]

I haven't seen this posted yet, but it's kind of an interesting first for a hotel program. Priority Club has had the Any Hotel, Anywhere Amex prepaid cards for some time, but they just added a new redemption choice they're calling Hotels Anywhere. This uses EZRez just like Flights Anywhere (and just like Delta, United, and others hotel and car redemption options).
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...re-_-Vanity_HA

I'll do some price comparisons soon. If it's like the Flights option, the value isn't very high (Flights are about .3-.33˘/pt).
soitgoes is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,893
Very interesting. I wonder if these stays will qualify for points at the other hotel? (I'm guessing not - probably books under a consolidator or portal rate.)

Maybe someone out there will try and let us know.

In the meantime - FYI - the regular anywhere card may be a better deal. I checked out a few hotels I know and the exchange rate is coming in at about 0.37 cents per PC point. A $250 anywhere card works out to 0.42 cents per PC point.

Also - this portal looks to be nearly identical to the one DL uses for its Skymiles shopping deal.
pmaddock is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:03 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,377
A few observations:
1) Point costs are rounded off to 1,000 point increments.
2) Does seem to be a value in line with the Flights Anywhere option (ca. .3˘/pt). As a benchmark, PCR redemption costs are about 2.75-2.9 times those of DL miles (side-by-side, same hotels, same dates).
3) They seem to (understandably) have stripped all IHG brands from the booking engine.
4) Part cash buydowns cost .39˘/pt. (e.g., pay 55,000 points + $0; 20,000 points + $136.50; 30,000 points + $97.50)
5) They have a slightly nicer cancellation policy than the DL and UA sites:
ITINERARY CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS. At the time of Priority Club point redemption, all hotel stay purchases are deemed final. Change and cancellation policies will vary by hotel property, and by the specific preferred rate that is booked. If you need to make changes to your travel itinerary, please call the applicable customer service number listed on your Hotels Anywhere email confirmation.

In most cases, if you are requesting a cancellation sufficiently far in advance of your scheduled arrival and check-in (72 hours in advance, for most, but not all properties), you will be able to obtain at least a partial refund of your Priority Club points (or the combination of points and currency) that were used for your initial hotel stay purchase. However, a limited number of hotel stay purchases available on the Site cannot be canceled, and you will not be eligible for any refund of your Priority Club points and currency (if applicable). All cancellations will, at a minimum, be subject to a $35 service fee (per booking) charged by, and paid directly to, Connexions. Bookings will not be refundable after the date of scheduled arrival and check-in has passed. A “no show” for a hotel stay booking will, in most cases, result in a total forfeiture of settlement, without credit due.

Changes to your hotel stay purchase may typically be made prior to check-in, subject to availability and the policies of the hotel property. Changes to the name of the traveler will not be accepted within 48 hours of scheduled check-in. In some instances, changes will not be available or permitted. All changes may be subject to a $35 service fee (per booking) charged by, and paid directly to, Connexions. Changes may also be subject to additional fees and/or additional charges for each room night as advised in the policy information of the hotel property.
Full terms: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ywhere_tc.html

All in all, a mediocre offering that I can't see using.
Still, new options are always good.

I do hope that the Any Hotel, Anywhere Amex cards will continue.

Last edited by soitgoes; Apr 18, 2010 at 8:14 pm
soitgoes is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:13 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,377
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Very interesting. I wonder if these stays will qualify for points at the other hotel? (I'm guessing not - probably books under a consolidator or portal rate.)
If you check the UA and DL forums you will see some discussion of this. It depends on the rate, hotel, and program. Most of the time they don't count.

Originally Posted by pmaddock
In the meantime - FYI - the regular anywhere card may be a better deal. I checked out a few hotels I know and the exchange rate is coming in at about 0.37 cents per PC point. A $250 anywhere card works out to 0.42 cents per PC point.
It is better. The advantage of this system would be less of a need to plan ahead, but the Amex prepaid card is much better overall. Let's hope it remains.

Originally Posted by pmaddock
Also - this portal looks to be nearly identical to the one DL uses for its Skymiles shopping deal.
It is. UA, DL, SPG, and IHG all use EZRez for the hotel/car rental/flight booking services (but none offers all three services--SPG just flights; IHG flights and hotels; UA and DL cars and hotels).
soitgoes is offline  
Old May 6, 2010, 6:07 am
  #5  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Hotels Anywhere Online

I did a quick search and didn't found any info on this. But I just notice a new reward option call Hotels Anywhere Online. It is like flight anywhere and allow you to book any hotel online.

If there is an existing thread, can someone post it here?

Thanks,

alc
alc is offline  
Old May 6, 2010, 6:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Posts: 3,104
This is indeed very new and an interesting option!
It appears to use the same system as Delta Skymiles hotel booking.

Whether it is actually good value, remains questionable - I doubt I'll book a night at the Shangri La Hong Kong for 129,000 points or the Four Points Shanghai for 44,500...

Link: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...sanywhere.html
Chinatrvl is offline  
Old May 6, 2010, 6:57 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
This is indeed very new and an interesting option!
It appears to use the same system as Delta Skymiles hotel booking.

Whether it is actually good value, remains questionable - I doubt I'll book a night at the Shangri La Hong Kong for 129,000 points or the Four Points Shanghai for 44,500...

Link: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...sanywhere.html
for 129000 points a night, i will expect the presidential suite ICHK
unfrequentflyer is offline  
Old May 7, 2010, 9:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: UA 1k, AA Plat, HH Diamond, IC RA, SPG Gold
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
for 129000 points a night, i will expect the presidential suite ICHK
The cost for ICHG to pay for other brand hotels are probably much higher than paying their own brand hotels, that's why they set the redemption rate much higher.
FlyForLeisure is offline  
Old May 7, 2010, 10:06 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by FlyForLeisure
The cost for ICHG to pay for other brand hotels are probably much higher than paying their own brand hotels, that's why they set the redemption rate much higher.
No, the point amounts corresponds to the travel agents' rates for the specific hotel and the amount of points is simply calculated; it seems 1 Point is around 0.002 € (I only did three sample calculations yesterday, so feel free to correct me...)

Same "travel agent" as Delta Skymiles - and the hotel you book won't even see that you've paid with PC points.

Edit: 10k points cost 60 USD (=45 Euro) 1 point = 0.0045 Euro. Terrible deal.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; May 7, 2010 at 10:18 am
Chinatrvl is offline  
Old May 8, 2010, 1:39 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,377
I reported this here and provided some analysis of the (generally poor) value:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...on-option.html

Basic conclusion:
always good to have more options, but the prepaid Any Hotel, Anywhere card is a better value in most cases.
soitgoes is offline  
Old May 8, 2010, 10:58 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Capetown
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Posts: 10,178
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I reported this here and provided some analysis of the (generally poor) value:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...on-option.html

Basic conclusion:
always good to have more options, but the prepaid Any Hotel, Anywhere card is a better value in most cases.
Certainly the much better option: The 175 Euro card costs 57.000 points. If you use it at IHG hotels you earn as a Platinum member an absolute minimum (aka without any promotion) of 3500 Points, so the cost is 53500 Points for 225 USD. 10.000 Points give you roundabout 43 USD in real cash.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old May 9, 2010, 6:13 pm
  #12  
dc3
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 262
Any hotel, anywhere reward value question

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I reported this here and provided some analysis of the (generally poor) value:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...on-option.html

Basic conclusion:
always good to have more options, but the prepaid Any Hotel, Anywhere card is a better value in most cases.
===

I am thinking of turning in 59,000 points for a $250 voucher (code PCANY AH104) to use in Hawaii since their are no priority club hotels on Maui - on in Honolulu. Is this really a good use of these points?
dc3 is offline  
Old May 9, 2010, 8:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Posts: 809
Originally Posted by dc3
===

I am thinking of turning in 59,000 points for a $250 voucher (code PCANY AH104) to use in Hawaii since their are no priority club hotels on Maui - on in Honolulu. Is this really a good use of these points?
I 'bought' $750 worth last year when they were on special - they have been a complete pain to use. Most hotels (and this is only within the PC group let alone going further afield) have no idea what to do with it, Fiji couldn't process it and we had to give up as we needed to get to the airport, Bali took an hour to work it all out, we have almost used it all up and tried to finish it all at the CP Terrigal this weekend and they got nowhere with putting any amount on it (despite Bali where we last used it telling us we had $63US left).

And on top of it, you of course get charged the 1.5% credit card fee (here in Australia anyway)

Personally I would never recommend them..
morepointsplease is offline  
Old May 9, 2010, 11:27 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Capetown
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Posts: 10,178
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
I 'bought' $750 worth last year when they were on special - they have been a complete pain to use. Most hotels (and this is only within the PC group let alone going further afield) have no idea what to do with it, Fiji couldn't process it and we had to give up as we needed to get to the airport, Bali took an hour to work it all out, we have almost used it all up and tried to finish it all at the CP Terrigal this weekend and they got nowhere with putting any amount on it (despite Bali where we last used it telling us we had $63US left).

And on top of it, you of course get charged the 1.5% credit card fee (here in Australia anyway)

Personally I would never recommend them..
I am using these all the time but only in the orginal currency (for me Euro). I never had any problems at any hotel - IHG or not - with these cards. It is a simple prepaid Amex and processed like Amex and I have no idea why "most hotels have no idea what to do with it".
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old May 13, 2010, 1:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: RA Ambassador
Posts: 77
WE CAN’T BE EVERYWHERE .. Redeem Points At Our Competitors Hotels

WE CAN’T BE EVERYWHERE
BUT YOU CAN™
We understand that we don’t have hotels in every
location that you want to visit. With our new Hotels
Anywhere reward, you can use your Priority Club®
points to instantly redeem for a room virtually anywhere
worldwide, including our direct competitors. Use our
comprehensive online search tools to find exactly the
hotel you're looking for, just where you want to be.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...5454-_-HEROCTA
Travelled is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.