Wiki Posts
Search

IC Alpensia Resort (S. Korea)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

IC Alpensia Resort (S. Korea)

I am about to book a stay at the new IC Alpensia.

The pictures on the website look amazing, but I couldn't find any information on this property here or on Tripadvisor. Has anyone stayed there? I haven't received any response to my inquiry about RA upgrades.

Originally Posted by IC Website
EUROPEAN STYLING IN UNSPOILT NATURAL BEAUTY InterContinental Alpensia Pyeong Chang Resort provides guests with an unforgettable experience no matter the time of year. Here you will discover an Alpine-style village nestled within the unspoilt beauty of the Taebaek Mountains and filled with an endless variety of shops, restaurants, and activities. You will find Olympic-class ski slopes, three spectacular golf courses and the Ocean 700 indoor waterpark within the resort, or go tracking in the mountains to explore the natural beauty of the region. Alpensia Resort’s dining and entertainment facilities offer the perfect “après-ski” ambience to complete your experience. With its distinctive style and range of facilities, InterContinental Alpensia Resort is sure to appeal to any taste.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:04 am

Alpensia has just a fwe suites. And they are still confused to upgrade for RA.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by ths0817
Alpensia has just a fwe suites. And they are still confused to upgrade for RA.
I haven't stayed there - a safe bet is to contact the hotel in advance and ask for RA upgrades. Those hotels that rarely see RAs will usually go out of their way to accomodate one.

Might go there in 2011/2012, if we move to Asia again, so please report back. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Didn't get around to it in 2010, but have a stay booked for March 2011. Still no response to my emails -- reports would be appreciated!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Didn't get around to it in 2010, but have a stay booked for March 2011. Still no response to my emails -- reports would be appreciated!

I will tell you what email address is.

[email protected]

He is a reservation supervisor at Alpensia and his name is Sungik Park.

Try again~
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:44 am

Can anyone report on this property, please?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Have you stayed there? There's absolutely nothing on FT and mostly nonesense on TA about this hotel.
I'll likely stop there for a couple of nights in May and would be interested. Though, can't fault, price is cheap enough.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Have you stayed there? There's absolutely nothing on FT and mostly nonesense on TA about this hotel.
I'll likely stop there for a couple of nights in May and would be interested. Though, can't fault, price is cheap enough.
Never made it, sorry! Please post back if you end up going!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:28 am

I stayed there for a couple of nights during ski season. The property is part of a modest-sized complex that includes a Holiday Inn and HI Express, each with what appeared to be 100-150 rooms. The three hotels are all within an easy 5 minute walk from one another and in between are assorted restaurants, shops, fast food places and a conference center which is used for meetings and conventions.

Rooms at the IC are perfectly adequate but not up to the standards of the IC's I have stayed at in major cities; no surprise there. Good value for the rates charged however. The hotel offers a good buffet breakfast with an extensive selection but there is only one restaurant in-house (Italian) which was OK but not very good value, based on one dinner there. I would advise going outside the IC for lunch or dinner.

The downside is the entire complex is quite isolated: 3 hours by road from the nearest international airport (ICN). Once there you are 20-30 minutes from any commercial establishments other than the ones at the complex. I was there for a conference and though I had a good stay I see no reason to return to such a remote spot.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:31 pm

Thank you for the replies!
I'll probably try it in two weeks and decide at the hotel whether two or three nights are enough. Remoteness is what I'm looking for and I have a car nonetheless.

That said, the reservation I'd made yesterday has already been upgraded to an exec suite.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Apr 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:29 am

Overall a very nice place.

- Took three hours from ICN by car (don't use AVIS unless you like driving KIA K5s with 70k KM as "luxury class"!)
- Right now, pretty much deserted resort in the middle of the sticks. Car recommended.
- Excellent staff (English is a problem, yet there's always a solution)
- Upgrade to an executive suite with balcony, bottle of red wine
- Very nice food at the only restaurant in the hotel
- SPA unfortunately closed (what other reason is there to stay here) for a couple of days
- Overall, I enjoy being here for escaping from mega-cities. Recommended.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:06 am

Hotel curtailed the minibar while I was in the room. Don't stay there.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Hotel curtailed the minibar while I was in the room. Don't stay there.
It's a shame! Didn't you stop him for taking away the items from minibar? What did he take? Why did you let the staff get in your room without knowing what he was going to do?
Old May 1, 2013, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
It's a shame! Didn't you stop him for taking away the items from minibar? What did he take? Why did you let the staff get in your room without knowing what he was going to do?
He said he was to "check the minibar", which is fair enough. When he started to remove all liquor and wine... yes, I very much did stop him - and raised the issue to the duty manager (no help) and IHG (Amb service center replied within 15 minutes!). If there's no reaction during check-out tomorrow, I might take it to other levels...
Old May 1, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: TK E+
If there's no reaction during check-out tomorrow, I might take it to other levels...
You should indeed do. Please update us on how this goes.

How far is the hotel from the slopes? I guess there is no ski-in-ski-out, but is it walking distance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.