Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Frequent flyer lounge access - how do they know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I’ve always wondered how lounges know you have frequent flyer status and allow you admission to said lounges?

Most airlines don’t offer physical cards anymore so is something printed on your boarding card for the lounge to know you have a status?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by timtamw
I’ve always wondered how lounges know you have frequent flyer status and allow you admission to said lounges?

Most airlines don’t offer physical cards anymore so is something printed on your boarding card for the lounge to know you have a status?

Thanks!
It's tied your your frequent flier program membership. Your frequent flier number appears on your boarding pass and your complete passenger name record, including elite status and lounge membership, show up on the agent's screen when your boarding pass is scanned.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by timtamw

Thanks!
​​​​​​Yes, elite status will usually be noted somewhere on a boarding pass. More importantly though, that and a whole lot of other information about you and your reservation are available on the computer when they scan the boarding pass.

​​​​​​Additionally, in some scenarios, when you check in for your flight, you will be printed a lounge pass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.