Reload this Page >

Figuring out flights to SE Asia from Non Major American City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Figuring out flights to SE Asia from Non Major American City

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by guywhofliessometimesbutnotthatmuch
Hey all, still very new to the forum, hopefully this is in the right place - please feel free to redirect me if it's not.

So I've had the dream to visit SE Asia for a while now - and my goal is to get it done before I hit 40 (running low on time.) I've been considering trying to take a month off to do it over the holidays this year since that's probably when it's least disruptive to my work. I live in a mid-sized city (Pittsburgh) which has a decent airport with a couple of international flights, but it hasn't been a hub since like the mid 90s. My goal is to fly into bangkok, hit Thailand, Vietnam, (maybe a quick stop in cambodia), and possibly even end the trip in the philippines and fly back out of Manila (though I could do Thai Islands at the end instead of Palawan - if a round trip is much easier than a multi destination.) The main thing is booking the main legs of international travel so either PIT -> BKK MNL-> PIT or just round trip between PIT and BKK. I've looked at what seem like a ton of of flights, but I'm still trying to figure out how to best optimize this.

I'd mostly likely to try to keep it to one epic flight and the connections in the US and asia as short as possible. I've seen things that fly out of JFK or Detroit and go to Hong Kong, Taipei, or Singapore with a shorter connection to BKK after that. The idea being that one 15-17hr flight sandwiched between two 1-3hr flights is vastly preferable to having to get to the west coast first and take another huge flight, or stop somewhere like germany or the middle east and have two very long international flights. My problem is finding a flight like this that a.) can I actually book out of pittsburgh?. b.) often they have a massive layover (basically the better part of a day) and c.) isn't stupidly expensive (I'm willing to spend quite a bit, and have even considered business class on some options as I've been saving for this for a while, but some prices for less awful flights seem absurdly outrageous and I don't know if I justify the differential. I've basically seen good flights out of JFK that I want (they are a little pricey) but I can never get them if I put PIT in as my initial destitanition. I know Pittsburgh flies to JFK some, and to newark like every 3 seconds basically - so I have considered just trying to get to a major airport on my own and book the international travel out of there. What do people think about the risks/advantages of a centering flight? Is there any kind of agency or website one would recommend to plan this? I'm open to any and all suggestions on this!

Thanks so much!

(p.s. Also I have quite a bit of points on my chase sapphire preferred card - its not going to cover the whole cost of the trip - but it's enough to seriously drop the cost - so any situation in which I could use those is a nice bonus)
I'd recommend flying separately from PIT to NYC and then leaving from NYC. You're always going to have better prices there because of the sheer amount of competition + volume of NYC flights. The other alternative would be to get to LAX and leave from there for the same reasons.

I'd book one round-trip ticket to and from that US location. That's going to be the cheapest option. You can try open-jaws (eg flying from JFK to BKK and then from MNL to JFK on the flight home), but usually, flights to the same destination are cheaper. Once you have those flights booked, there's lots of low-cost airlines within Asia that can get you to and from where you need to go. You can also use some of your Chase points to transfer to Aeroplan to book cheap flights within Asia for 8,000 miles one-way. You can also include a stopover for 5,000 miles, so you might be able to fly something like HAN->BKK->PNH with a few days in BKK and a few days in PNH for a total of 13,000 miles.

There are points services who will help you use those points most efficiently/effectively for a trip at a flat rate. They might be able to find two one-ways that allow you to book your flight to/from Asia and then flights within Asia without needing to pay much cash out of pocket beyond taxes. You should be able to book all of your flights without maxing out your 250,000 points. Flying over the holidays will make this tougher, but not impossible.

As an example:

On 12/8, you can fly from EWR to PNH through LHR and SIN for 60K Aeroplan miles + $130 CAD. You can fly the LHR-SIN and SIN-PNH flights in business for an additional 27,500 miles + $7 CAD. If you want to have a stopover in SIN, you can add that for 5,000 miles.

On 1/2, you can fly from BKK to JFK through SIN and FRA for 44K Singapore miles + ~$137 USD.

That's 104,000 miles that transfer to Chase partners and about $230 US out of pocket to get to and from Asia.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I have thought about seeing if they'd upgrade me to the reserve so I can I get a bit more credit on my miles for this trip...
You would likely be much better off using the cost of your upcoming trip to meet the spend requirement for a lucrative sign-up bonus on an additional card.

If your wife is credit-worthy and does not already have a Chase Sapphire card in her own name, perhaps she can apply for the CSR card, and charge the cost of your trip to it to earn the card's SUB.

Or, perhaps you can apply for the Amex Platinum or the Capital One Venture X. Any one of those three cards comes with Priority Pass lounge access, which would be very nice to have on your trip.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
There are points services who will help you use those points most efficiently/effectively for a trip at a flat rate. They might be able to find two one-ways that allow you to book your flight to/from Asia and then flights within Asia without needing to pay much cash out of pocket beyond taxes. You should be able to book all of your flights without maxing out your 250,000 points. Flying over the holidays will make this tougher, but not impossible.
is there one you recommend?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
is there one you recommend?
I've never used one because my goal has been to learn more for each subsequent trip. If you're planning one big trip, that might be a more viable option for you.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK-BKK/SGN is an easy one stop on Cathay Pacific which is one of the world’s best airlines.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:37 pm

Transfer you Chase points to UA.

Fly PIT-SIN via SFO or LAX, using Chase point. Spend a couple days in SIN. Buy a cash ticket on a low cost carrier to BKK. Buy all the other flights you want in the region in cash, and wait until you are much closer to the travel dates. Fly home from Manila on a UA award ticket.

UA award tickets have no change fees, so you can buy economy now to lock in your trip, and change it later if you need, or upgrade to Business.

PIT-SIN is 55k miles, 1 stop Nov 29.
MNL-PIT is 55k miles, 1 stop Dec 29.

Jetstar nonstop SIN - BKK is $69 2.5 hours non stop
BKK-SGN is $77

SGN-MNL is $130

You get the idea.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
I'd recommend flying separately from PIT to NYC and then leaving from NYC. You're always going to have better prices there because of the sheer amount of competition + volume of NYC flights. The other alternative would be to get to LAX and leave from there for the same reasons.

I'd book one round-trip ticket to and from that US location. That's going to be the cheapest option. You can try open-jaws (eg flying from JFK to BKK and then from MNL to JFK on the flight home), but usually, flights to the same destination are cheaper. Once you have those flights booked, there's lots of low-cost airlines within Asia that can get you to and from where you need to go. You can also use some of your Chase points to transfer to Aeroplan to book cheap flights within Asia for 8,000 miles one-way. You can also include a stopover for 5,000 miles, so you might be able to fly something like HAN->BKK->PNH with a few days in BKK and a few days in PNH for a total of 13,000 miles.
I've been messing around with this but I think since absolute value (as I said am silly enough to be looking at business class right now) isn't my top priority. For what its worth the "nice" flights like singapore from EWR or JFK (areoplan wanted to do some nightmarish stuff to get me to bangkok and I've had only bad experiences with air canada) seem to be outside of my range for a straight up voucher (at least to business class) and in general the price points everywhere I look seem about the same kinda no matter where I look. Basically I can take the less ideal flight from PIT-ORD-NRT in business for like 10k and the flight from JFK/EWR to bangkok round trip is 14k in business class + whatever cheap flight I buy from pit to nyc - (in fact the prices seem the same ish when I go multi destination and try to fly home from manilla in both cases)... I don't know if I'm missing something... I definitely would like to fly singapore and it's cool I can transfer chase points...but it doesn't seem like there's anyway to get more than basically 3-4k off for my points anyway a slice it? I see all kinds of things about how to maximize your miles/points but it always seems like an incredibly specific situation that I'm not qualified for...

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Transfer you Chase points to UA.

Fly PIT-SIN via SFO or LAX, using Chase point. Spend a couple days in SIN. Buy a cash ticket on a low cost carrier to BKK. Buy all the other flights you want in the region in cash, and wait until you are much closer to the travel dates. Fly home from Manila on a UA award ticket.

UA award tickets have no change fees, so you can buy economy now to lock in your trip, and change it later if you need, or upgrade to Business.

PIT-SIN is 55k miles, 1 stop Nov 29.
MNL-PIT is 55k miles, 1 stop Dec 29.

Jetstar nonstop SIN - BKK is $69 2.5 hours non stop
BKK-SGN is $77

SGN-MNL is $130

You get the idea.
Okay I'll have to look into this!

UPDATE: I can't find prices quite as good (that one date is is 55 - but that's not a date I could do and the cheapest I see in dec is 66k and most are 100k) and of course that's per person. So it would probably be all my miles to book these flights in coach - and I have no idea what upgrading them would cost if that would even be possible...

Last edited by chgoeditor; Feb 25, 2024 at 1:12 pm Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

What's your budget? Nov-Dec you can easily do PIT-JFK-DOH-BKK and back for under $1500 rt. All that on 1 ticket. The Doha flight to BKK I think is around 6 hours, same as Narita to Bangkok. You would split your trip 1 hour, 12 hours and 6 hours, same as going via ORD and Taipei.
Bangkok is a good place to start your SE Asia touring. Hundreds of destinations within your interest and flights are pretty cheap.
I usually do fly to other countries when I'm in Thailand. (BKK or DMK) BKK - Saigon - BKK was $80 round trip with bags. BKK - Bali/Jakarta - BKK round trip (two separate flights BKK-CGK-BKK and BKK-DPS-BKK) for under $100. Same for BKK-Singapore or BKK-Phnom Penh. Manila flights are probably the most expensive out of the bunch, for around $200RT.
Or you can base yourself at Kuala Lumpur and fly from there. It's up to you.
One thing that I would strongly suggest is to buy ticket on one PNR for your PIT-Asia-PIT flight and separate flights (cash or points) for your intra Asia flights.
Have fun in my favorite part of the world
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
What's your budget? Nov-Dec you can easily do PIT-JFK-DOH-BKK and back for under $1500 rt. All that on 1 ticket. The Doha flight to BKK I think is around 6 hours, same as Narita to Bangkok. You would split your trip 1 hour, 12 hours and 6 hours, same as going via ORD and Taipei.
Bangkok is a good place to start your SE Asia touring. Hundreds of destinations within your interest and flights are pretty cheap.
I usually do fly to other countries when I'm in Thailand. (BKK or DMK) BKK - Saigon - BKK was $80 round trip with bags. BKK - Bali/Jakarta - BKK round trip (two separate flights BKK-CGK-BKK and BKK-DPS-BKK) for under $100. Same for BKK-Singapore or BKK-Phnom Penh. Manila flights are probably the most expensive out of the bunch, for around $200RT.
Or you can base yourself at Kuala Lumpur and fly from there. It's up to you.
One thing that I would strongly suggest is to buy ticket on one PNR for your PIT-Asia-PIT flight and separate flights (cash or points) for your intra Asia flights.
Have fun in my favorite part of the world
My budget is actually pretty high I'm budgeting a lot for the flight - trying to go business and probably at least one or two overpriced nice stays in various places where it makes sense (El Nido or Thai Islands, possibly an insane hotel I saw in chang mai that looked cool ) - I'm not wildly wealthy or anything - but I do have a decent bit of of money potentially budgeted for a trip like this that's this far out. I hadn't really planned on using Bangkok as a base of operations, but rather just my starting point - but it's something to consider I guess. I'm going to keep looking but right now weather I do multi destination (fly into BKK fly out of manila) or just round trip BKK the logic flight price point vs convience still seems to be just booking through one of the two Japanese airlines and getting routed via ORD or DFW and flying through japan...much as I'd like the NYC->SIN flight...
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:42 am

Okay I'll have to look into this!

UPDATE: I can't find prices quite as good (that one date is is 55 - but that's not a date I could do and the cheapest I see in dec is 66k and most are 100k) and of course that's per person. So it would probably be all my miles to book these flights in coach - and I have no idea what upgrading them would cost if that would even be possible...
Get the free no fee Chase United card to unlock the lowest fares. UA offers cash upgrades, as well as free changes, so if a better deal comes along, in any fare class, you can just switch to it.

Spend some time in the United forum to get an idea of what’s possible.

Keep your flights to 1 stop or less, don't screw around with positioning flights inside the States, and remember you are trying to fly in December where the weather is unpredictable. Avoid the east coast airports.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Get the free no fee Chase United card to unlock the lowest fares. UA offers cash upgrades, as well as free changes, so if a better deal comes along, in any fare class, you can just switch to it.

Spend some time in the United forum to get an idea of what’s possible.

Keep your flights to 1 stop or less, don't screw around with positioning flights inside the States, and remember you are trying to fly in December where the weather is unpredictable. Avoid the east coast airports.
I'm not sure I can avoid east coast airports (at least in terms of weather concerns) since I have to fly out of PIT no matter what. Also not sure how I can keep it to one stop or less without a positioning flight?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:24 am

I'm not sure I can avoid east coast airports (at least in terms of weather concerns) since I have to fly out of PIT no matter what. Also not sure how I can keep it to one stop or less without a positioning flight?
I mean don’t buy a separate ticket like PIT-JFK, just to fly JFK-XXX-MNL

One Stop or less, choose your first destination in Asia as a place that has a non-stop from SFO or LAX. Like, PIT-SFO-SIN. This avoids positioning flights, and multi stop itineraries
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah that's it :facepalm

Dang okay...I think I payed my fee again last month like a sucker...thought I doubt they'd give me anything...since I've not paid a dime of interest as of yet...I have thought about seeing if they'd upgrade me to the reserve so I can I get a bit more credit on my miles for this trip...
Since you mention the (Delta) Reserve card from AmEx, I'm wondering whether you have a Delta AmEx Plat credit card or the more expensive unaffiliated regular AmEx charge card? They're very different. You need the NON-Delta card to use IAP to save on premium cabin fares (IME typically about 15% but it varies).

ADDED: I saw your post about the $10K and $15K fares. A RT ticket would be much cheaper. If you're paying with money, do not buy two one-way tickets for international travel. Many airline programs price OW award tickets to be half as many miles as RT, but doing this when you're using money forces the ticket into an extremely high fare class.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 1, 2024 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since you mention the (Delta) Reserve card from AmEx, I'm wondering whether you have a Delta AmEx Plat credit card or the more expensive unaffiliated regular AmEx charge card? They're very different. You need the NON-Delta card to use IAP to save on premium cabin fares (IME typically about 15% but it varies).

ADDED: I saw your post about the $10K and $15K fares. A RT ticket would be much cheaper. If you're paying with money, do not buy two one-way tickets for international travel. Many airline programs price OW award tickets to be half as many miles as RT, but doing this when you're using money forces the ticket into an extremely high fare class.
Not sure about the card stuff -unless your referring to someone else's comment - all I've got is a chase sapphire card. In regards to round trip - I looked at multi destination (fly into bangkok - fly back out of manilla) and that seems to be roughly the same price as I've seen for roundtrip to bangkok when doing google flights to get estimates. Prices have jumped up and down by about 3k with the flight I'm tracking currently. They are higher then I'd like them to be at this moment, but they might drop back down again. I'm still waiting on figuring out how flexible our work is going to be for a trip of this length. Might have to settle for doing less over a two week trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.