Wiki Posts
Search

DUB Preclearance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
DUB Preclearance

Flying direct from VIE to DUB and then direct to US (BOS). It is posted that CBP closes at 3pm. What if my VIE flight is delayed and CBP is closed?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barb111
Flying direct from VIE to DUB and then direct to US (BOS). It is posted that CBP closes at 3pm. What if my VIE flight is delayed and CBP is closed?
Is VIE DUB and DUB BOS on 1 ticket/PNR? Or 2 separate tickets?
You will not be the only person on the DUB BOS flight. Would expect pre clearance will be open until the flight closes (then leaves)
If late, and on 1 ticket PNR, then the late arriving airline has to resolve. Missed connections are relatively common.
If 2 separate tickets and you no show DUB BOS its all your problem. Depending on reason and delay time EC261 may apply for VIE DUB.

Look here--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...-security-222/
Trusted Travelers
Discussion of practical (not policy) issues directly related to programs such as Global Entry, Privium, PreCheck, SmartGate, and others

Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Practical safety and security issues/questions directly related to travel, including travel documents, customs, hotel and transportation security procedures/screening and safety.

Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Airport & border security are big issues when we fly. This is the place to discuss security policies – what they are and what they should be
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi! One ticket. Not worried about missing connecting flight. Not until 5 pm. More concerned that if we are delayed, Preclearance will be closed. CBP states only open until 3 pm. Asking as it was in the news this fall that a large group of people got stranded at DUB because their flight was delayed and arrived 30 minutes after preclearance closed. Airline denied responsibility as they “don’t control CBP hours”.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Barb111
Hi! One ticket. Not worried about missing connecting flight. Not until 5 pm. More concerned that if we are delayed, Preclearance will be closed. CBP states only open until 3 pm. Asking as it was in the news this fall that a large group of people got stranded at DUB because their flight was delayed and arrived 30 minutes after preclearance closed. Airline denied responsibility as they “don’t control CBP hours”.
Would be bizarre to have people stranded at DUB because preclearance is closed when they could just fly DUB-BOS and clear US immigration at BOS if absolutely necessary.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:13 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Has happened previously but I don't think it's a common occurrence.
​​​​​​
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...e-2023-9%3famp

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
Would be bizarre to have people stranded at DUB because preclearance is closed when they could just fly DUB-BOS and clear US immigration at BOS if absolutely necessary.
The Dublin - US flights arrive domestically so it's not possible to clear US immigration in Boston.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:07 am

This is a disturbing thread. Thinking of a flight through DUB later this year. Can anyone confirm, if on one ticket, would an an airline treat this as a missed connection and automatically rebook for no fee? Why would CBP close when there are planes on the ground? What if a flight were delayed multiple hours late leaving? If I remember correctly, there are no real options for food past pre-clearance, more of a holding pen.

Last edited by pfreet; Jan 4, 2024 at 5:08 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, these are my concerns as well. Here is the article.
https://www.insider.com/travelers-sa...ghtmare-2023-9
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:57 am

The airline will rebook you in this situation.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:08 am
Original Poster

so, are you confirming that pre-clearance will close even with inbound planes still arriving with passengers going to the US? And the next flight out to the US is two days later They don’t fly every day
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:09 am

Another reason why the whole "preclearance" concept is a complete farce. It is of absolutely zero benefit to anyone with GE, and even for people who need to wait in line upon arrival, they still usually end up at the luggage carousel about the same time or earlier than their bags. All it does is add considerable stress in getting to the airport early, and corrals everyone together in a corner of the airport, which is largely devoid of the amenities typically provided to passengers stuck waiting in airports.
s777bg, Spiff and bon mot like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by steveholt
...they could just fly DUB-BOS and clear US immigration at BOS if absolutely necessary.
Even if EI parked at BOS Terminal E where the border control / customs facilities are, which it doesn't, you could not mix cleared and non-cleared pax in the same cabin.

Originally Posted by pfreet
Can anyone confirm, if on one ticket, would an an airline treat this as a missed connection and automatically rebook for no fee? Why would CBP close when there are planes on the ground? What if a flight were delayed multiple hours late leaving?
I can only report that I was going LCY-DUB-ORD a few years ago (just before Covid), my short leg ex-LCY ran very late and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to catch the on-time ORD flight but ran for it anyway, and when I got to the special concourse it was just finishing up boarding but the preclearance barrier was still open. I might have been the last guy through there that day, as the ORD flight was the final departure and most well-organized people had been processed through an hour earlier. All I can say is, they left the light on for me.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by downinit
Another reason why the whole "preclearance" concept is a complete farce. It is of absolutely zero benefit to anyone with GE, and even for people who need to wait in line upon arrival, they still usually end up at the luggage carousel about the same time or earlier than their bags. All it does is add considerable stress in getting to the airport early, and corrals everyone together in a corner of the airport, which is largely devoid of the amenities typically provided to passengers stuck waiting in airports.
To each their own, as someone who doesn't have GE and who has to make a connection once in the US to get to my home airport I'm a huge fan of pre-clearance and think it's great to be able to take care of TSA and immigration at my first airport rather than having to do check-in and that country's security, take a flight, and then do immigration and re-do security halfway through my trip.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Dog250
The Dublin - US flights arrive domestically so it's not possible to clear US immigration in Boston.
They couldn't just land in Terminal E or bus the passengers over to Terminal E to go through immigration in BOS?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
Even if EI parked at BOS Terminal E where the border control / customs facilities are, which it doesn't, you could not mix cleared and non-cleared pax in the same cabin.<snip>
Look, I honestly don't know what would happen in the OPs scenario, but I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. I'm not saying the airline would do it, but if it was absolutely necessary, they could obviously just force all passengers to clear customs again BOS. Though that might be annoying to those passengers that "pre-cleared" in DUB, it also would be the end of the world...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.