Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Advice: Unusually Low Rates - Booking Stability Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Seeking Advice: Unusually Low Rates - Booking Stability Concerns

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and just had an interesting experience with the Foreign (Asian) AMEX website. I used my MR points for the first time to book multiple nights for an upcoming business trip. The trip spans 15 days across three countries, and the total cost came to under 100 USD plus 1000 MR points – a real bargain, I thought.

I later compared the rates on booking.com and was shocked to see the same trip costing over 40K USD elsewhere.

I've already called the hotels to confirm, and everything seems fine. They mentioned a deposit guarantee and a resort fee of around 45 USD, but no other hidden costs. Since my booking was through a third party, they couldn't provide specific rate details.

Now, even though the Korean AMEX website has updated its rates, my booking still shows as 'confirmed'. I'm wondering what the chances are that my reservation might get cancelled or there could be issues at check-in.

Thanks in advance for any insights, and pardon any English mistakes (I am a foreigner).
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by poongakk
I've already called the hotels to confirm, and everything seems fine. They mentioned a deposit guarantee and a resort fee of around 45 USD, but no other hidden costs. Since my booking was through a third party, they couldn't provide specific rate details.
if you look around other threads in this forum, your thread is the only one not discussing the deals open for public, I think the admins will move this to somewhere else soon or later.

Like any other hotels and airlines flash sales, don't call them. If they already pulled the deals long time ago, it may be ok to call them to confirm the bookings, but I personally prefer to show up unannounced. By the sound of it, you may have a good chance of them honoring your bookings.

Don't take them honoring the deals granted, and always have back up plans.

Most countries offer no consumer protections when they decide not to honor. Some hotels reserve their rights not to honor such rates, stated in their terms (eg Hilton?).

Last edited by maverikbc; Jan 2, 2024 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Agree with maverikbc. Have a back up plan. I would find some nearby hotels with a rate you can cancel as close to your arrival time as you can just in case.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:59 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc
if you look around other threads in this forum, your thread is the only one not discussing the deals open for public, I think the admins will move this to somewhere else soon or later.

Like any other hotels and airlines flash sales, don't call them. If they already pulled the deals long time ago, it may be ok to call them to confirm the bookings, but I personally prefer to show up unannounced. By the sound of it, you may have a good chance of them honoring your bookings.

Don't take them honoring the deals granted, and always have back up plans.

Most countries offer no consumer protections when they decide not to honor. Some hotels reserve their rights not to honor such rates, stated in their terms (eg Hilton?).
I'm unable to find the thread in question to merge/move this thread. Can you please point me?

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.