Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Miles Broker

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Air Miles Broker

Hey Guys I am looking to purchase some Air Miles around 100k, for Air Canada. Any Points brokers I can use or someone can refer? Dont want to get scammed
Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by adysad
Hey Guys I am looking to purchase some Air Miles around 100k, for Air Canada. Any Points brokers I can use or someone can refer? Dont want to get scammed
Thanks
You can buy Air Canada miles from points.com here.
SPN Lifer and VegasGambler like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
You can buy Air Canada miles from points.com here.
These are expensiveee....
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by flyer.yvr
These are expensiveee....
Yes, they are expensive. But they're also legal. Buying them from a broker is illegal per the rules of every frequent flyer program and runs a significant risk that your trip will be cancelled before you leave (with no recourse for you to recoup what you paid) or that you'll be stranded at your destination with a cancelled ticket and no flight home.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
Yes, they are expensive. But they're also legal. Buying them from a broker is illegal per the rules of every frequent flyer program and runs a significant risk that your trip will be cancelled before you leave (with no recourse for you to recoup what you paid) or that you'll be stranded at your destination with a cancelled ticket and no flight home.
Makes sense.
Is there any real benefit to buying the points as opposed to just booking a cash fare?
I guess you could find a really good award redemption that does significantly outweigh the cash fare...
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:40 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer.yvr
Is there any real benefit to buying the points as opposed to just booking a cash fare?
There are specific cases where it might make sense, such as when the cash fare is astronomical for short flights, but there is award availability.

That said, I think most people who buy miles do so to top up their balance if they are short of a desired award and availability opens up.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 5:23 am

I have the opposite problem, is there anywhere i can sell points? Or perhaps trade points in one system with another?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MrFlibble12
I have the opposite problem, is there anywhere i can sell points? Or perhaps trade points in one system with another?
Selling points would also be illegal and risk both you and the purchaser being barred from the program. Points.com has some options for transferring
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Selling points would also be illegal and risk both you and the purchaser being barred from the program. Points.com has some options for transferring
Ok, I guess that’s why I couldn’t find anywhere, thanks for letting know. I’ll look into points.com to see about transferring points.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
A point of clarification -- being against the program rules does not make something "illegal" (which requires an act of law criminalizing behavior). That said, you make a good point that violating the rules of the program by doing things such as selling miles will get frequent fliers banned by the airline's FFP.
MrFlibble12 and Ludwig1992 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
A point of clarification -- being against the program rules does not make something "illegal" (which requires an act of law criminalizing behavior). That said, you make a good point that violating the rules of the program by doing things such as selling miles will get frequent fliers banned by the airline's FFP.
The phrase "illegal" had been used in an earlier post in this very thread (#4), and I merely incorporated the term that had been used for the point that it is no less prohibited to sell miles than it is to buy them.

Nonetheless, you are incorrect - something can be illegal while violating a civil law, not simply a criminal law.
​​​​​​And there are credible arguments that selling miles (which legally, are not property of the FFP member )would violate a variety of laws, particularly if they are sold over the Internet or the internet is used to wrongfully transfer them or the sale is based on a misrepresentation that the transaction is compliant with program terms. (See, for example, https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-rel...tive-practices

I hope that this "clarification" is edifying.
​​​​​​
trooper and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 25, 2023 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:23 pm

Very well stated.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The phrase "illegal" had been used in an earlier post in this very thread (#4), and I merely incorporated the term that had been used for the point that it is no less prohibited to sell miles than it is to buy them.

Nonetheless, you are incorrect - something can be illegal while violating a civil law, not simply a criminal law.
​​​​​​And there are credible arguments that selling miles (which legally, are not property of the FFP member )would violate a variety of laws, particularly if they are sold over the Internet or the internet is used to wrongfully transfer them or the sale is based on a misrepresentation that the transaction is compliant with program terms. (See, for example, https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-rel...tive-practices

I hope that this "clarification" is edifying.
​​​​​​
The term "illegal" just means that it's against some set of rules, not necessarily government-enforced. The term "law" just refers to rules (again, not necessarily government enforced)

When a football player gets flagged for illegal procedure, the police don't get involved but the penalty is still correctly named. And the rules of soccer are generally referred to as "the laws of the game".
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.