Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Cheapest ex-Europe departure airport to Tokyo for premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I am looking to fly to Tokyo in March and premium cabin (business) prices are sky-high already. Does anyone have a good idea for an ex-Europe departure airport? Doesn't even need to be a direct flight. I tried Warsaw, Budapest and Helsinki and Malaga but no luck to find anything sub £3k...
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FoodRanger
Hi everyone, I am looking to fly to Tokyo in March and premium cabin (business) prices are sky-high already. Does anyone have a good idea for an ex-Europe departure airport? Doesn't even need to be a direct flight. I tried Warsaw, Budapest and Helsinki and Malaga but no luck to find anything sub £3k...
This is for a one-way?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
This is for a one-way?
ideally return, but can fly back to a different airport

EDIT: the £3k is return fares
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:10 pm

Are you open to flying to KIX? Fares tend to be much lower vs Tokyo. I believe AY, AF, KL and maybe LH all have service to KIX in the summer schedule (which starts late March), and at least some of those are already serving KIX now
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

KIX might be a good option!!
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:18 pm

There’s also a fair amount of close in award availability for KIX at lower rates than I’ve seen for Tokyo, when I last checked KL had saver awards in J to KIX almost every day for the next 2 weeks (I believe it’s 5x weekly) and AF had a fair amount available as well. I didn’t see that for either of KL or AF’s TYO flights even for same day or next day departures. I believe those two are running the most flights from Europe into KIX, AY is partnered with JL but only flying 2 or 3x a week last I checked
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

You don't indicate how flexible you are as to departure date (or length of stay), but here's one possibility ex-CDG for £2,261 on LOT:

(Same fare is available with a CDG departure, and a return to AMS.)
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
I booked a flight in biz from LRH-ICN on Finnair for £1,714. From ICN, it's an easy flight to/from HND/KIX. Plenty of availability in March for roundabout £2,000+.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
I booked a flight in biz from LRH-ICN on Finnair for £1,714. From ICN, it's an easy flight to/from HND/KIX. Plenty of availability in March for roundabout £2,000+.
ICN is a good option, didn't really think about terminating somewhere else than TYO. ICN is like a 2h flight so really close and good connections into Haneda.

Re LOT, was trying to avoid them due to lack of wifi but maybe this has gotten better now.

I remember fondly the pre-Covid days when you could fly ANA/JAL for under £2k return in business...
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:51 am

If I remember correctly Lufthansa even served NGO in the Before times... but I don't see it coming back any time soon
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
Are you open to flying to KIX? Fares tend to be much lower vs Tokyo. I believe AY, AF, KL and maybe LH all have service to KIX in the summer schedule (which starts late March), and at least some of those are already serving KIX now
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:58 am

Could ITA be an option?
Plus, Haneda is extremely convenient

Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GfL
ICN is a good option, didn't really think about terminating somewhere else than TYO. ICN is like a 2h flight so really close and good connections into Haneda.

Re LOT, was trying to avoid them due to lack of wifi but maybe this has gotten better now.

I remember fondly the pre-Covid days when you could fly ANA/JAL for under £2k return in business...
If you're a BAEC member, you get 440 TPs for the flights.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magXY
Could ITA be an option?
Plus, Haneda is extremely convenient

Haneda is extremely convenient indeed - I'm a bit afraid ITA is going to go bankrupt by the time I fly Their new business product looks competitive though
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
BUD-ICN on LOT for 1.4K EUR and then a quick hop over to TYO. By far the cheapest option in J
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Wi-Fi on LOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.