Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Possible to switch seats with someone in different classes?

Old Jan 12, 23, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I am flying from YYZ to AUH, my mother is also suppose to come as well, but she's not 100% certain if she can due to a possible elective surgery. There is one business class reward seat left, and several economy. Would it be possible to purchase a business class seat for myself, and economy for my mother. If she can't go, I'll cancel the economy ticket. However, if she can go, I am wonder if it's possible to ask the FAs if we could switch seats and my mother can have the business class seat.

I imagine, like anything else in life, it will depend on the people I talk to - but was wondering if anyone at Flyertalk has had this experience before, or any advice.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist
YMMV and guess it depends on the airline too, but generally my impression is they’ll let you switch once ie at the start of the flight but not during flight etc. I’ve done that a few times e.g. once I was upgraded and swapped seats with my spouse so she could get a break from the kids. She just took my boarding card and sat in my seat & let the FA know we were switching seats.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by samplat; Jan 12, 23 at 10:05 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 12, 23, 7:34 pm

Of all the seat swap requests possible I suspect giving up a Business class seat for your mother - after she has had surgery - would be the LEAST likely to be refused by the crew!!!!
samplat likes this.

Search this Thread