Wiki Posts
Search

Don't know where to post this ? re cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Don't know where to post this ? re cancellations

Hotel cancellations. I can be very indecisive. They all have pros and cons, and sometimes I go almost nuts trying to figure out the "best" option.

So in the meantime I book, and cancel, and rebook, and book another, and cancel both, and rebook both, etc., etc. then finally decide where to stay. Changes based on changing prices/points, changing sightseeing plans, changing restaurant plans, changing need for points for a different reservation...you get the idea.

My question is...how bad is this? I'm sure they "know", but do they care? Any long term consequences? Primarily Marriott and Hilton, but could be anyone.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
hmm...maybe you should just make a decision and stick to it? (rather than spending time afterwards if the decision was right etc). Seems like you are spending too much time on this. Just my cents...
Mihaela55 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:07 pm

I am with Eujeanie on this. I have cancelled way more bookings than I have stays, for similar reasons. Often it is pre-booking stays for the future as a placeholder that for various reasons I end up not using. I have never had any negative feedback over the years, but this type of activity would be pretty easy for the hoteliers to track if they cared. In the end, the hoteliers set the cancellation rules and I abide by them so I don't feel too bad.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, xooz, I don't apologize for my reasons, which to me are valid, I just was wondering about negative consequences from the hotels.

Apparently there is none....my concern was sometimes airlines don't like you tying up their inventory, and then cancelling (the famous AA case comes to mind, can't remember the guys name).
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thanks, xooz, I don't apologize for my reasons, which to me are valid, I just was wondering about negative consequences from the hotels.

Apparently there is none....my concern was sometimes airlines don't like you tying up their inventory, and then cancelling (the famous AA case comes to mind, can't remember the guys name).
If we're thinking of the same airline case, I think the hotel analogue would be someone reserving one or more "standard" suites and then cancelling the reservation(s) as late as possible in order to improve one's odds of an upgrade at T-5 using Bonvoy SNAs or more generally at check in for chains that offer this as an elite benefit.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I just recalled he made reservations he had no intention of keeping and they came down hard on him, I don't really remember any of the other details.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As long as you're following the t&c and not exceeding the cancelation windows...
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I frequently have multiple potential itineraries for a trip and will have hotel reservations booked for all of them in advance. As my trip gets closer, I finalize my plans and then cancel the reservations from the other other potential itineraries. I try to be good about it and do so at least a week in advance. Sometimes, I may not know until the last minute and may only be canceling a couple of days in advance. I always comply with the cancellation deadlines. I have done this for many years. I have never had any consequences from the hotels (at least none that I am aware of). YMMV...

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.