Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Does this constitute "abusive use of ticket"?

Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Having read about airlines potentially penalizing those engaging in "throwaway" ticketing to get a lower fare than would otherwise be possible, I wonder if this is anything the airlines would view negatively.

I regularly fly JFK-BKK in J. On the return leg of a trip last year, the airline was unable to accommodate a change without a huge fare difference (ahem JAL), so it was cheaper to sacrifice that return and buy another r/t ticket originating in BKK on another airline(ANA, far more flexible), leaving me with an extra JFK-BKK ticket I'm able to change easily.

Now I'm going to use that ticket to go back, and purchased another ANA r/t ticket originating in BKK, leaving me with another unused JFK-BKK I'll schedule far out and change once I settle future plans.

This has worked well for me since the same tickets originating out of BKK are often significantly cheaper than those originating from JFK.

I don't see how this could be seen as abusive, but I've saved thousands now, and frankly I feel like I've stumbled across some forbidden practice, lol.

ANA has a notice on their tickets about possible cancellation of a ticket if they observe something they consider abusive use, but don't go into further detail than that.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 5, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Not abusive at all. Very common practice. Nothing to worry about.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Not abusive at all. Very common practice. Nothing to worry about.
Much appreciated
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I think ANA and others might get upset if done on the same carrier (usually to circumvent fare rule restrictions). This is two different carriers, so no issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.