Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Visa Required for Immediate Return Flight from Brisbane?

Old May 14, 22, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer

Hi everyone!

So I decided to go on a "joyride" of sorts onboard Singapore Airlines to experience the thrill of flying once more, having not flown at all in the past 5 years. I will be flying from Singapore to Brisbane on SQ255, and leaving on SQ236 4.5 hours after arriving in Brisbane, to return to Singapore.

My question would be whether I can do this without a visa (not even a Transit Visa). I started trying to get a Transit Visa too late, and I won't be able to submit the required biometric data before my flights. So the only option now would be to cancel my flights if I really cannot do this turnaround trip without a visa.

Basically all I want to do at the Brisbane Airport is:
1) Get off SQ255;
2) Go get some Australian souvenirs at Australian Way;
3) Visit the Silver Kris Lounge (I am travelling in Business); and
4) Leave on SQ236.

I saw that SQ236 departs from the same gate that SQ255 arrives at. In the absolute worst case scenario, would I be able to just get off SQ255, sit at the gate, and then board SQ236 when the time comes? (I will not be travelling with any checked bags.) The optimal scenario though, would be for me to also visit Australian Way and the SKL.

Looking for the advice of the so-much-more-seasoned travelers here! Thanks in advance!
Old May 14, 22, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really a question for AU border force, (not FT). Generally an immediate turn around requires full visa. (not transit)
Would expect SQ will deny you boarding as no entry to AU.
In Australia international arrivals and international departures are physical separated. Those doing an air side transit go through transit security/transit door.
While the aircraft will be expected to turn around that is not 110% guaranteed. While unlikely, aircraft can have a technical fault, weather delays and/or crew issues that can delay departure.

AU govt -->

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 14, 22 at 2:11 pm
Old May 14, 22, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Mwenenzi! I managed to get an ETA granted! I should be good to go now, right?
Old May 14, 22, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQinterrupted View Post
Thanks for the info, Mwenenzi! I managed to get an ETA granted! I should be good to go now, right?
OK. Do not forget the DPD
Old May 14, 22, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Will do! Thanks!!

Search this Thread