Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

new user. pls help

new user. pls help

Old Apr 11, 22, 10:38 am
Original Poster

new user. pls help

I have an airline flight this week and have never used LYFT or uber before. How confident can I be when I request a ride that it will show up to get me to airport on time? I am staying at Days Inn near Orlando Int Airport. Should I request a ride 20-30 or more minutes early to be safe?
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Not knowing how Lyft/Uber service is on the area you are staying, and seeing that the hotel does not provide shuttle service, here are some suggestions that I will offer.
1) Look if public transportation is an option, and something that you are comfortable with
2) With ride share, its a gamble, I will allow myself at least a 3 hour window to get to to airport, after taking all the check in, security, etc. in consideration
3) Check with front desk to see if they have some type of unscheduled service to airport, perhaps offer to pay
Old Apr 11, 22, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Exp
Availability and time to arrive varies dramatically by location and time of day. Being near an airport should help getting a car fairly quickly. However, time of day will be a factor as well (ie not as many cars at 4 am for an early morning flight), so factor that in.
Old Apr 11, 22, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try to check pricing. It might not cost more (and be less risky) to ask the hotel to book a taxi the day before for your ride to the airport.

BTW, has OP installed the Uber and Lyft apps on a cellphone that has (roaming) service in the USA?
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newjim13 View Post
I have an airline flight this week and have never used LYFT or Uber before. How confident can I be when I request a ride that it will show up to get me to airport on time? I am staying at Days Inn near Orlando Int Airport. Should I request a ride 20-30 or more minutes early to be safe?
If never used LYFT or uber before, using for the first time to get *to* an airport may be an unwanted learning experience. Or could be OK. As above could book a taxi. From google guess the Days Inn & Suites is about 5.5 miles (or 12 miles if another Days Inn ) from the airport. But, as above, day and time if the day will make a difference.
This is where booking a hotel with an airport shuttle service can be worth while even if a more $.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 11, 22 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 12, 22, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Earlier this year I used Uber for the first time ever and to get to the airport and had the same concern as yours. I ordered the ride the day before and received a confirmation from the driver after a few minutes. The driver arrived at my house 10 minutes early for my ride the next day.

Search this Thread